*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 06:36:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  any guitarists?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: any guitarists?  (Read 1413 times)
bronto
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:18:07 pm »

i'm just curious, i know all the bassists already :]. just wondering how many play the guitar, if so what kinds do you own, how long playing, any particular style you are interested in.

that's mine, except a darker stain. i play everything, but mostly blues type stuff. only just switched from the bass recently, but it was a smooth transition. anyway, i'm probably going to switch pick ups soon, wanted to know what would be best for the metal stuff.
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:20:17 pm »

Sexy guitar, I love me a natural finish. And yep, you know I play bass already. God, I love bass...such a sexy instrument. Oh, and also, if anyone uses GarageBand or just has recordings of them playing something, put up a link! I'll post a link to my site with some MP3s later today. Gotta get rid of some old stuff, put up some new stuff, etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 09:22:07 pm by Mr.Mellow » Logged

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
Hurricane

Nade Away...watch your ass!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 09:47:50 pm »

Nice guitar! I used to play an Ibanez RG 550. Now it's Fender Strat all the way. i play alot of metal. Old school stuff. Tongue I switched the single coil bridge pickup to a Seymore Duncan Pearly Gates. Sweet sound! Great sustain. Active pickups are also a good choice if your going heavey but it takes away from the natural sound of the guitar. Lots of choices. gl hf Cheesy
bronto
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 11:28:48 pm »

mellow, i was going to get a Gibson swampash studio with natural finish and ebony fretboard, but 1070 is too much so i went for the poor man's prs, and it's a damn good guitar for 390. it has a 3 piece set in neck instead of bolt as well as the thru-body stringing so it's super stylish  Cheesy.

yeah i was thinking seymour duncans as well, everyone seems to think they're the bees knees. i know the basic idea of active pick ups, but if you could further explain the advantage over passive for metal, i'd appreciate that. i really like playing blues and jazz on a stratocaster, but it doesn't feel right to me when i play metal, dunno why.

oh yeah, i second mellow's idea to post any of your own music/band/garage tunes stuff here. i'm gonna try and get a drum machine on this comp and then record bass and guitar tracks.
Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 11:47:48 pm »

I got a Telacaster and a Gipson. As for acusticks go i have a Martin which nobody touches but me.

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
bronto
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 11:55:51 pm »

i'm probably going to learn how to build acoustics by one of the guys who works for martin. by the way maniac, your spelling is quality.

i decided to forget about actives right now and go for passives. i'm thinking Lawrence L500 XL for the bridge, and if anyone can suggest a nice bluesy one for the neck, i'd like that. i don't know if metal guitarists usually play with 1 hummer or a combination of both, so if you could tell me what to do it'd be nice. i'm obviously quite noobie with electronics.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 12:47:35 am by *NADS bronto » Logged
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 01:19:36 am »

http://www.angelfire.com/creep/mrmellow/ Some of the stuff I've made a few months ago. Haven't recorded anything really new lately. If you're only gonna listen to one, I recommend The Drunken Jig or Desert. Edit: After listening to them, I don't recommend any of them haha. They're pretty god-awful (to me at least). Timing seems quite a bit off on The Drunken Jig, but that's to be expected when you make something under the influence.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 01:21:30 am by Mr.Mellow » Logged

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

bronto
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:59:35 am »

bluegrass track reminds me of bela fleck..thumbs up, even though that vibroslap in the end was uncalled for  We need more love. what effects are you using?
Overthrow.aHa!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 02:00:32 am »

i play an alvarez acoustic/electric
a nice guitar that i got cheap because it was stolen and when recovered it had a few nicks
only been playing for about 7 months
i mostly play just different chords or power chords off the top of my head but i like looking up tabs once and awhile
i guess i would like to be able to learn sometime how to sing and play because currently i suck so hard at that

and the desert song pwns mellow
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 02:09:16 am by Overthrow.aHa! » Logged
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 02:04:27 am »

Haha. Umm, most of the tracks I'm just playing straight in. On the songs with more than one bass track, usually I'll use a bass wah for one track, no effect for another, and then an echoing effect. I'd have to look at garage band to tell for sure lol. I might be using a little wah for the bluegrass one. And yep, Bela Fleck was what I was going for.

Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 02:07:38 am »

Yeah i need to slow down on the beer bronto, want one?

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
bronto
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 02:10:35 am »

OT ; yeah, i don't really have the coordination for that either unless i'm just running variations of a chord...plus i hate the sound of my own voice, but i'm told i sound good. i'm more of a screamer.

maniac ; i only drink hard alcohol as of recently

mellow ; i heart you

back to my pick up config problems. i want to know if mixing and matching 2 hummers to get one sound is a good idea, or to just play out of one hummer. the middle setting on my 3 way turns on half of each pickup, instead of both of them fully. is this something i am able to change (and should i). why is it like that? fill me in, i need to know more about pickups.
Overthrow.aHa!

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 02:11:25 am »

does anyone have any suggestions on recording my playing onto the computer?
i dont have garage band and no clue how to go about recording anything
so far i've only been recording on an old tapeplayer and the quality sucks
bronto
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 02:13:41 am »

you need a double ended 1/8 inch wire (headphone jack size) and an adapter to connect the 1/8 to the guitar (forgot the size, you'll know it when you see it). plug in to mic or line in port, dunno how it is on macs. probably able to get both those things at radio shack.

oh yeah if you have an amp that you like to play through, plug into that instead of directly to the guitar so you get the preamp and eq settings itll sound a lot better.
Overthrow.aHa!

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 02:17:27 am »

thx bronto, but does anyone know of any free recording programs?
bronto
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 02:19:17 am »

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17392

never used it, i'm pc, should work though. freeware too.
Overthrow.aHa!

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 03:20:17 am »

thx again bronto
Hurricane

Nade Away...watch your ass!

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 08:36:35 pm »

Heya Bronto, i don't see much of a difference between active and passive pickups, other than having to carve a cavity in the body of your guitar so ya have somewhere to put the battery. active just have a little more gain and sustain. Just curious as to what kind of amp and effects you use? I play through a Marshall valvestate, 40 watt sterio amp. as for effects i just use a Boss DD3 digital delay and the chourus built in to the amp as well as a little reverb. If you havent tried one take it out for a test spin. So versitile. you can get any sound from blues and country to metal and beyond. Kind of eliminates the need for expensive processors to get your sound. Been there done that. Kinda lost track there. Umm if you are going to change any pickups all you need to do is change the bridge pickup. i found it's nice to keep the original sound when you change the type of music you play. So many options. I guess it all comes down to experimenting and finding what you like. gl & rock on!
bronto
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2005, 08:53:59 pm »

thnx for the info. i am using solid state amps still unfortunately. i decided on passive already, active is too much hassle.

if you can, can any of you do me a favor? i can't find any good drum machines for pc and they're all shareware i can't save beats. if any of you have ones that you made or just have or whatever can you post them here so i can play around with them?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:39:44 pm by *NADS bronto » Logged
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2005, 11:20:53 pm »

Shmexmo, it should be easy to find some midi drum beats online. Just do a google for midi drums or something. Also, someone post a link to some of their MP3s, if they have any! I wanna hear. :/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads