*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:05:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: To blog or not to blog, CMS is the queston  (Read 1494 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: February 01, 2005, 07:58:44 pm »

Allrighty. Im still plodding along with my website in all its rubbish and tatters and ive been exploring the world of the blog and the CMS system... Ive used Mambo which is a open sorce CMS system and is very powerful, - great if your building a big business website or in my case a radio station site... but not so great if your doing something a touch smaller, and design is more important. Then there is the world of the Blog... From Moveable Type to Blogger, Type pad to Word-press. They tend to have a lot less whistles and bells, and be a lot more flexible in terms of 'customization'.

Im a bit of a word-press fan - its one hell of a lot easier to get to grips with than MT, and it has a quite simply awesome community of people working in and around and on it. And thats what the site is based on..problem is 75% of the site isn't dynamic blog... its static gallerys and information etc etc...

Aaaaanyway just wondering if any of you folks deal in this department, and what your experiences with these different apps have been....

also where the hell is a good place for me to reference when fighting with the .php beast?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:57:19 pm »

Well, I can tell you from my own experience on what Ive used in the past. There is Geeklog which is a php and mysql driven news portal. If you ask Buc he will probably tell you it is simply the best out there. Ive used it myself and didnt think it was as good as Nuke.

If all your doing is looking to run your own Blog website I would have to say nuke is the way to go. Im not sure what else you want to do but Nuke has thousands of mods out there to be used with your dynamic site. Like...ecommerce, coppermine (photo alblum app), Stock price streamers, etc....There are even Nuke customized apps out there to fit whatever it is you need the site to do for you.

I like www.nukecops.com website to help out with any question that I may have. There forums are always full of happy php'ers that can answer a slew of questions that you have. Hope that helps a bit.

voo

p.s. What is your website url? I want to check it out. Also what is CMS? Never heard of it.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 09:36:43 pm »

CMS.... Content Management System (Php Nuke, Mambo etc etc)

the url... its in pieces at the moment if you look you will get a brain hemorrhage and die Wink 

I'll let you have a look soon though id love some feedback! Cheesy

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:31:00 am »

absolutely mate - you can literally turn comments off so people can't post them - but you can also simply remove the php code - i believe there are a couple of plugins around as well to save  you the effort! Wink

Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:44:17 am »

On a purely easy to use and tons of addons standpoint, PHP-Nuke is the best. Also PHP-Nuke is very easy to create your own addons if you decide to do that at some point. Then you have the tons of PHP-Nuke spins-offs like PostNuke,not as easy to create addons for  Wink, ProjectXero, and others. And some of the more popular forums have CMS spin-offs. This is where the layout is in the form of a CMS but most of the coding is forum based. Thats all I can think of at the moment. Grin  Find me on GR if you want more info.

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
*DAMN Bondo
*DAMN

The Radical Moderate

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 06:02:47 am »

I don't know if it helps but I use blogspot/blogger for my blogging purposes. I am not crafty with customization but it does what I need it to and I like the BlogThis function where I can just highlight something on a page that I want to respond to in my blog and it will do an automatic quote and link.

My Blog
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:59:42 pm »

Hmm thanks boys.

Hmm the blog is only a small section of the site - the main issue is that i have a lot of 'static' content etc and need that flexablity - but i didn't want to build some custom in house thing when there were basic cms/bloggers out there which had the search features and commenting etc etc all ready and waiting.
Something i failed to mention before was the need to meet xhtml and css standards - accessibility etc i'll have to have another look at nuke... In terms of customization regarding design however just how flexible is nuke?

ps very nice bondo... bed timing reading for me Wink

Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 02:41:24 am »

In terms of customization regarding design however just how flexible is nuke?

I have seen alot of different themes for php-nuke. Although, I haven't created one from scratch, too lazy to make my own.  Wink This link will take you to the customize themes page. 14.1, 14.2, and 14.3 are probably what you are looking for.

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 04:53:05 pm »

Hmm thanks mono i had a look... but i think phpnuke isn't what im looking for. Ive gone back to word-press and im ripping the php to shreds so i can put what static content i want within the site, and keep the search functions etc Smiley

I'll post up the url for some feedback when its sorted as long as you don't all laugh at me Wink

Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 03:12:18 pm »

I'm incorporating word-press to the site I'm doing now, not as a blog function but more as a easy updatable "news" section, so the old geezers can update it on their own. Seems just tandy so far.

Word-press all the way!

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 06:41:30 pm »

Ahh yes im doing much the same joka (can i have a look!) - or rather using the blog to post news updates to the front page separate from the rest of the site etc...

... php still makes my head hurt though Sad

Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 07:19:23 pm »

Ahh yes im doing much the same joka (can i have a look!)

Sure, after I'm done Smiley

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 10:13:18 pm »

i'll show u mine if you show me yours Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: