*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:27:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  First benches of Mac Mini in.
Poll
Question: After reading the results, what do you think?
Wow! - 2 (11.1%)
Impresive. - 5 (27.8%)
Expected. - 8 (44.4%)
...meh - 2 (11.1%)
It sucks! - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First benches of Mac Mini in.  (Read 1298 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: January 20, 2005, 04:25:50 am »

clapping hands

http://www.barefeats.com/mini01.html

Very impressive! Read the whole thing, I'm really surprised.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:55:47 am »

Notice that my Powerbook beat it in the straight CPU test.

Pretty much exactly what I suspected, I wish Apple would just drop shipping computers with 256MBs of RAM. I mean, is there ANYONE here with only 256 RAM?

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 04:02:05 pm »

Notice that my Powerbook beat it in the straight CPU test.

Pretty much exactly what I suspected, I wish Apple would just drop shipping computers with 256MBs of RAM. I mean, is there ANYONE here with only 256 RAM?

Well, I still own an original 128k Mac and I never even upgraded it to the 512k version (somebody had made a 3rd party upgrade for it at one time).  And it still works great!  Of course it won't play Ghost Recon. Sad

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:16:46 pm »

I have 256 in my iBook G4, and it runs OSX very well as I use iChat + Safari + PS + GR + aMSN + word. It seems fine, perhaps you just are thinking about games, but for anyone who isn't using the comp for gaming it is fine.... CONSUMER!

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:53:41 am »

Typhy do you have already a new PB(1.5)? Because I only knew about your 1Ghz one and this doesn't show up in the comparison.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:58:19 am »

He got a new one when apple refused to fix his old one.

John Lennon
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01:14 am »

Nice Grin

since 13th June 2000
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:06:57 am »

He did have to pay for it though, apple pulled some BS. Ask him for the full story, I don't know it.

John Lennon
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 01:59:02 am »

Apple were being a bunch of worthless fucks.

Basically, they claim that my old PB ( 1GHZ ) had "liquid damage". As the only owner and user of it, I can gaurentee that I never spilled anything in it. Also, I would be more inclined to believe those ignorant little fuckers if the mother board in my old PB hadn't broken 3 times ( all 3 covered by apple care ), and the mother board on my 867g4 ( not covered by apple care ).

So, despite emense protests and about a dozen hours on the phone, our encounter concluded with me saying "Alright, kiss my ass, you stupid mother fucking cocksucking thieves. You fucking ( Insert stream or profanity until they hang up )."

I took my brother's gaming PC, and my friend's laptop, and sent Apple a picture of them, claiming that it was my new setup. I also put in all the parts from the 867g4 that I hadn't sold and hit it with a sledge hammer, and sent them a picture of that.

Then I swallowed my pride and ordered the 1.5GHZ model, with the 128MB video card. 3,000 bucks later, I've got a nice laptop again.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 02:01:27 am »

I see  Lips Sealed  Sniper

since 13th June 2000
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 02:11:16 am »

Enough about Typhy, back to the fact now it's a hard choice between iMac g5s or mac minis .... hrm.

John Lennon
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 02:15:47 am »

not at all. the iMac G5 is MUCH better in the really important tests. the only thing that would make me think is the price... you get what you pay for.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 02:17:28 am »

But those tests do not involve simple light use. My G5 is the gaming computer, the other macs scatter around would be there for light use of iWork or occasionally PS.

^^
Amazing, the motherboard (Apple Insider picture)

Edit 2: The RAM is User-Serviceable despite rumors.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 04:05:42 am by Mysterio » Logged

John Lennon
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 05:57:03 am »

looks like it has only one RAM-slot... Undecided

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 06:07:39 am »

Don't pay much attention do you civc? This has been the one downside discussed of it, the iMac only has 2.

John Lennon
Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 06:09:03 am »

The mac mini is a good computer, but i can't see how you could compare it to a G5. It's a lot slower in processor and it only has 1 ram slot. The graphics VRAM is only 32MB, but like everyone says it's price is unbeatable. Myst you could get it for a server or something....but thats just my opinion.  Roll Eyes

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 10:22:18 am »

Slower HD so even with 1GB ram (yes civic one slot) as soon as you hit VR then your comp is going to die (or near enough)

Sexy, slick, small, but i wouldn't boot FCP on it Wink

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 01:35:06 pm »

The mac mini is a good computer, but i can't see how you could compare it to a G5. It's a lot slower in processor and it only has 1 ram slot. The graphics VRAM is only 32MB, but like everyone says it's price is unbeatable. Myst you could get it for a server or something....but thats just my opinion.  Roll Eyes

You didn't quite read the post when I said what I'd use it for. BTW, the iBook G4 is much slower than the G5 up here, but it feels as nice to use.

John Lennon
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 10:10:38 pm »

News in from Apple Insider/MacNN/ others:

"Apple this week quietly lowered the price of some of its build-to-order components on the Mac mini, in addition to offering a faster version of its optical SuperDrive, according to MacNN. The changes come just two weeks after the Mac mini was introduced.

The company's online store is now offering the combination Bluetooth/AirPort Extreme upgrade for $100, a $30 price drop. Separately, the Bluetooth during-purchase option is now available for $50.

Apple has also slashed the mini's 1GB RAM upgrades from $475 to $325, and is offering a faster 8x SuperDrive (with both DVD+/-RW functionality) for the same $100 upgrade price as its previous 4x SuperDrive. Meanwhile a hard drive upgrade from 40GB to 80GB is now $50, as opposed to $90.

The estimated ship time on BTO and standard configuration Mac minis is now at 3-4 weeks. "

John Lennon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads