*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:17:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Cynical world
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cynical world  (Read 3284 times)
*DAMN Bondo
*DAMN

The Radical Moderate

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2004, 07:04:18 am »

Just re-found the forum...

Anyway, I don't want to get into most of the things, this is rather an unprecedented event.

I don't think that cynicism is the best conclusion from comparing reactions of 9/11 and this. I'm not sure natural disasters typically result in the same type of reaction in terms of cancelling sports and such that acts of violence do. So that is why this event doesn't get the same response as 9/11.

You may look at something like the killing in Sudan and say why doesn't that have a response...and I suppose the reason there is it is a sequence of events, not an event itself. If something tragic happens in a violent nature, that is a singular event, then it usually is honored. Kennedey's assassination resulted in game cancellations, 9/11. Locally, the Columbine shooting resulted in a delayed NHL game.

So I believe this is the distinction that makes the 9/11 response different in this way. I do not think many people are taking what has happened lightly. It is going to end up as the single greatest natural disaster in history AFAIK.

I think the thing for people to be reminded by this incident is that we are not in control. Certain policies are taken under the assumption that we are in control and they will lead to tragedy. There are other policies that come from acknowledging our lack of control and instead just do with what we can to lessen nature's risk. That means having proper evac plans for volcanos, having sirens for tsunamis worldwide, continuing with hurricane tracking and making sure buildings in prone places have extra procautions.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2004, 12:04:47 pm »

Well for the first time in a while i was quite pleased with my government at the news that we've trippled the ammount of aid to 50million  sorry thats about $100 million  USD    ... im sure its no way near enough, but im glad to see we're spending a little more on some aid and a little less on the military.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2004, 03:27:25 pm »

It is going to end up as the single greatest natural disaster in history AFAIK.

Actually, I believe the Great Flood, when God destroyed nearly every living thing on earth, save for 2 of every creature, goes down as the single greatest natural disaster in history.  That was projected to have killed somewhere between the low millions up to hundreds of millions....but nobody knows for sure how many humans were on the earth when that happened.

I can feel the flames of some of the people on this forum as I write this....lol

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2004, 04:28:42 pm »

Getting hot eh Ghostsniper?

Problem all these people have just died - and your talking about a story in a book - some people honestly seem to believe it was true, and most dont. But either way its  rather demeaning to all those that have just lost their lives don't you think?

Then again im sure it was just your twisted sense of humor... funny Shocked

*DAMN Bondo
*DAMN

The Radical Moderate

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2004, 06:06:27 pm »

I'll play along with you GS...back when the flood happened, the population of the world possibly hadn't reached 150,000 yet.

However, what is more likely is that the flood wasn't a global disaster but rather a disaster localized around Mount Ararat in Armenia where it is said the ark landed. So that region was flooded pretty well and certainly killed a lot of people, but again, population dynamics suggest the total population and concentration would not allow a greater death toll than this present event. I mean, the people writing the Bible had no idea North America existed, they probably hadn't been very far out of the near eastern region at that point so their frame of reference for the world was tiny.

Anyway, if someone does have an example from recorded scientific history, I would be interested. But I do feel the important factor is population dynamics, the ability to do such catastrophic damage wouldn't have existed prior to the 19 Century probably, because the population was so much smaller than the present.

I would add, if you throw in epidemic, which is actually resulting from live organisms of the viris or bacteria form, then certainly the Plague and Spanish Influenza have much greater death tolls.

As much as I am pissed about the US priorities on money, I'm not entirely sure I feel they can just throw money around to every cause at the moment. Bush unfortunately isn't willing to sacrifice his tax cuts to raise revenue to help lessen the deficit and have more money available for such unexpected aid needs as well as making sure our troops are properly equipped. He also doesn't seem to want to cut spending, rather his main priority seems to increase our financial problems further by switching a decent amount of social security income to private savings accounts.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2004, 06:07:36 pm »

Then again im sure it was just your twisted sense of humor... funny Shocked

Not at all....I was simply correcting Bondo's history.  I wasn't trying to be funny in any way.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2004, 08:24:21 pm »

U.S. has pledged 350 million.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2004, 08:30:02 pm »

Not at all....I was simply correcting Bondo's history.? I wasn't trying to be funny in any way.

Now that is comical

Matt_jh
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2005, 05:11:28 am »

I don't know if anbody has said this but if you look at any map you would wuickly know why the death tool is so high.  India and Bangladesh are two of the many countrys hit.  India has over 1 billoin people living there and Bangladesh is one of the most if not the most densecly populated contries on earth.  There are something on the order of 1.5 to 2 billion people living in those 2 countries alone.  Now think how many more people are in the others hit by this act of mother nature.

Oh Sal the US can't go ruining it economy just to go help clean up.  You ruin the economy how many more will die cause somebody can afford food cause they lost their job just so we could go spend money to clean up.  You need to consider other thing before you go calling the support from the US "criminally negligent to our fellow human beings."  Yes it should help and so should other countries.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads