*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:27:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  pocket pc
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: pocket pc  (Read 719 times)
yabo
« on: December 22, 2004, 09:13:46 pm »

Before anyone goes bashing them becasue they have PC in them hold on.

I am in the market for a pocket pc.  I have been talking to dell and have been looking at the new Axim x50v.  My primary goal for it is to play video, and to play games.  I have been down to dell store many times but they have failed to actually convince me.  I was wondering if people would be willing to give me feedback on different pocket pc's that are capable of playing a full lenghth dvd and so on.  Specifically, if you have the knowledge, what is a good processer speed for this, and so on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Unfortunatly other than the Newton, apple has not made a pda.

Thanks.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:30:16 pm »

I would wonder why you would possibly want to do this? The price on those things far outweighs their actual use. I wouldn't think it is a wise time to be in the market for such a device, especially since the technology in those devices seems to be changing at a very high rate.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 09:59:20 pm »

hey... um kinda confusing - you want a pocket sized pc and yet you want to be able to play games?   ... are we talking  Pong or DoomIII here?  
Whats up with a nice small laptop?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 02:22:41 pm »

Delayed response here, but at my work we test and implement a variety of different PDAs, and for what you are looking for it to do, the technology is still years away.  

The most cutting edge Pocket PCs have at most a 600-650 mHz processor speed, and maybe about 128MB of storage.  Full length DVDs are in the 6.2GB area.  Also, the latest Pocket PCs run Pocket PC 2003 as an OS (not Windows XP, etc) so the game application development is slim.  

Basically if you are looking to play anything other than Majohng or watch a 30 second very low quality video clip, then you are out of luck with a PDA.

If you really are feeling the need for portable, then you could always get a tablet PC, they can run full blown OSes, but the price tag hardly justifies what you get.

For what you are looking for, you're better off getting a laptop, like BFG said.

"oh no, here's come's the death."
yabo
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 02:51:32 am »

Thanks guys, however I have a slightly different perspective on things.

I have just finished testing a axim x50 520mhz  with a 2.2 compact flash card inside.  I had the movie "Fast and the Furious" condensed down to 1 GB (had to mess with bit-rates).  I watched it on a full screen pda and it ran smooth with fine quality, not as good as a normal television but very easy to view.

As for the games, I loaded 2 different Playstation games on there, using the emulator provided by http://www.fpsece.net/  .

I actually enjoyed the operating system, it functioned much like xp, and the bluetooth and wireless internet were flawless.  All for 300 dollars.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads