*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 11:37:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Recon 2 in the Works....but no mention of Mac  (Read 1719 times)
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« on: August 31, 2004, 03:42:20 pm »

You can read about it here.

The King of Pistoleros
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 03:06:01 am »

I let yall know what happens from the inside of Aspyr. When i get into the Beta Test ill let yall know, that is if it happens.

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 09:48:49 pm »

Click to enlarge
PC Ghost Recon 2 Delayed
10:41 AM | Jean-Luc Dinsdale | 1 comment

Further to Tuesday's news item that different versions of Ubisoft's recently-announced Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 are being developed by different developers, we're sad to report today that the PC version of the game, the version most likely to be ported to the Mac, will be released months after the console versions of the game.

In an official press release, Ubisoft confirmed yesterday that the Playstation 2 version of the title will be a completely different beast from their Xbox and PC counterparts. The Playstation 2 version, built on a modified Unreal engine and using the Havok physics engine, will be handled by Ubisoft's Shanghai studio, while the Xbox and PC versions, handled by Red Storm Entertainment, will utilize that developer's custom engine from the original game. The press release confirms that the Playstation 2 version of the title acts as a prequel to the Xbox/PC version of the game, taking place four years previous. Contrary to yesterday's news item, Ubisoft makes no mention of a GameCube version.

Sadly for computer gamers, while the console versions of the game are planned for a Holiday 2004 release, Ubisoft confirmed that the PC version of the game, the version most likely ported to the Mac OS, will not be complete until "...early 2005 in order to once again deliver ground-breaking innovation to the PC audience..." Adding to that the usual turnaround time for an OS X port, readers can expect the Mac version of the game to be available... a long time from now.

Although there has yet to be an official mention of a Mac release, fans of the original can look to Aspyr Media as the game's most likely publisher. Aspyr, having released over twenty-five titles last year alone, is the most likely choice for publishing the title after the successful reception of the original version.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
bronto
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 10:10:35 pm »

any of you ever feel like designing your own game? i mean, given a decent engine and permission to use it, i think a select few people on this board could really make a great game.

from what it seems that the ghost recon engine is brand new? yes? or did they just modify the orignal engine.
Daf One

gloop, inc.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 01:26:32 am »

Ghost Recon 2 looks more like a futuristic action game on first impressions by me, then Ghost Recon.

Enjoy the Classic.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 01:35:49 am »

any of you ever feel like designing your own game? i mean, given a decent engine and permission to use it, i think a select few people on this board could really make a great game.

from what it seems that the ghost recon engine is brand new? yes? or did they just modify the orignal engine.

To the first part, the Unity engine will let us do this for cheaper than any before it. Plus it is a mac native engine that can be ported to PC. If we ever have any real developers, we may have to beg GS for a bit of funding and bam we have ourselves a custom and brilliant game.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
bronto
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 01:46:12 am »

we could name the game: *DAMN Cheesy
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 02:08:36 am »

Then we would have "MADG" Mothers Against DAMN Games hunting us. Though the full name of DAMN could be easy to brand and come up with a plot for....

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
bronto
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 02:18:40 am »

i don't think mac users still get bitched out by their mothers still myst. so fuckem, we make the best team strategy tactical warfare game only and make it mac only and we name it plain old *DAMN. i don't care if i'm on pc and i never get to play it, i'm still glad to help with it. man i'm gettin all hot in here...oh mannnnnn i can't wait to assemble some kind of team.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 02:40:09 am »

the PC version will use the same custom built GhR engine - just reworked with loads of new effects etc...
However the XBox version will be using the UT2003 Engine...

And yeah i agree - so far GhR2 has looked more like a futuristic action shooter than a tom clancy game...

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 03:23:07 am »

Heh. You guys need to stop talking about the Unity engine as though it's labeled "instant game--just add water". There's a reason video game development cycles are always around 18 months even factoring in full-time development and asset production staff of 20-100 people. Making a "name brand" game is a LOT OF WORK.

It's entirely reasonable to conceive of a group from the Mac community producing a game. That conception requires the full knowledge that any such attempt will be a shitload of work and will require at least a year to accomplish.

If considering such a project, what is the state of our human resources? This community is rather short on programmers with sufficient skill to take on a project like this with realistic hope of completing it, and how many of those would actually be willing to do so? We've got an ample supply of musicians, but game music is a rather different beast, and how many sound designers/foley artists do we have? I'm sure we could find plenty of wannabe game designers to stick their fingers in the project, but too many cooks spoil the broth--or lead to it being a committee-run project, which is almost the same thing.

Now, planning a smaller project is more reasonable, but that would likely be better served by being a small project handled by a team of three to five people.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
bronto
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 04:19:24 am »

i can do game music. techno beats and what not. fruity loops biatch. i can also record an electric bass track and acoustic guitar track Cheesy. but anyway, more realistically, yes loth you are entirely correct, i jumped a little too far. if any of you have any skill with the unreal tournament engine, i'm trying to get a mod started for Tactical Ops to make more realistic gameplay. talk to me if you think you can contribute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads