*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 02:29:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Cross-Platform Gameranger
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cross-Platform Gameranger  (Read 33288 times)
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2004, 08:00:34 am »

grammer and spelling. Fancy that.
Yeah.  Unfortunately, you spelled "grammar" wrong.

Hmm.  So much for that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 08:01:42 am by Cobra » Logged

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2004, 10:04:33 am »

D Advocate you are hillus.  Also, this forum doesn't have a spell checker.

Oh yeah, I made a little movie about this: http://www.fanta.dk/news.asp?nid=8DBE6BDD-F386-4348-8220-A36185449746

Dude, don't try to steel my idea. It was I who made the petition, not you!

--

whoops I was wrong, I thought you meant that you had done the peitition. but then it hit me, you meant that you did the flash thing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 02:07:25 pm by Ethion » Logged

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2004, 10:05:05 am »

PC'ers never had to deal with change of OS, they can still play all those old games, right?

most of it.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2004, 05:45:28 pm »

Ethion, they are about to descend into chaos in 2006... or later when longhorn comes out they will experience the same transfer from OS9 to OSX.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
cookie

still tippin'

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2004, 07:28:44 pm »

Evill hasn't posted because he likely doesn't even care... he's got bigger things to think about than kids getting on GR with bootleg PC "clients".

The things that will destroy us are politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice.  ---
Gandhi

Back then they didn't want me, now I'm hot, hoes all on me.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2004, 07:32:01 pm »

I really don't think there will be waves of PC players. I do however think there will be waves of 12 year old trolls who are board off their ass and see that this is where a lot of mac people are.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2004, 07:40:52 pm »

Well, then evill, or the admins will quickly ban them. Its not hard to get banned from gr, even for people who know the rules. The admins will not look kindly on 12 year old pcers spamming the b+g. Plus, it'll make the membership numbers soar, making it look like gr just got mad popular, making evill look special. Grin

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
the oNe
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2004, 09:05:36 pm »

Mysterio you contradict yourself.
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2004, 09:34:31 pm »

.....I would agree but for the lack of explanation.

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
BTs_eight

Ka-BoOM!

« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2004, 11:12:03 pm »

The same reason we want to play Rogue Spear. And hell, that's THREE years old...

How many games of RS any of you play now? You should be so lucky if PC players come in and bring life back to that dead ass game...

*DAMN VOODOO GOT CAUGHT!
the oNe
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2004, 12:07:33 am »

eight, it is dead because almost everyone has upgraded their machines.  The new machines are X not 9, but you already knew that.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2004, 12:48:25 am »

One I always said there would be waves of PC noobs, I never said what they would be doing until hat post. And you are 100% correct about the reason I stopped playing RvS. If they let G5s boot 9 I would play RS over RvS.

John Lennon
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2004, 01:00:07 am »

Man, imagine the rs games you could play with a g5 and a broadband connection....drool

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2004, 02:11:33 am »

Man, imagine the rs games you could play with a g5 and a broadband connection....drool
Heh.. yeah.  It would be like those old 68k games that look like they are going in fast motion because the computer is too fast... lol.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2004, 04:51:56 am »

Well, the fact of the matter is that if Scott Kevill copywrited the Gameranger and since it was was based on Intellectual property he can easily prove that this is copywright infringement.  All Scott has to be able to prove is basically 4 things which shouldn't be a problem for the guy:

1.  He has to prove that Gameranger was designed for the Mac only which in this case wont be hard he can sue.
2.  That the source code was originally copied off of his design.  Again, not a hard thing to do since this is a client application he can sue.
3.  Prove that actually enough Mac users (Paying specifically) are diverted from going onto gameranger, therefore making Scott lose money from the prospect he can sue.
4.  If the PC application is sufficiently similar to his original program or therefore works in conjunction with it he can sue.

If any of these 4 reasons are proven Scott Kevill can sue for this issue.  Scott does not need to be based in the US for a lawsuit like this to take effect because intellectual property issues are not based on where you live but what the product is and what it is for.  Because it is an intellectual property case and he has copywrited it in Australia he can therefore sue anyone that breaches any of these copywright infringements weather in the US, or anywhere for that reason.   Here's how it works:

Scott has something going for him called Proper Venue, which states that he can bring suit where the cause of action ocurred or where the defendant resides that wrote the client code for the PC can be tried under the laws of that country for copywright infringement.  Or, Scott could choose to have the guy sued in Australia because he has that option.  In either event if the guy get's caught with distributing this breach of Australian copywright then Scott would have the choice of either suing him here in the US in a federal court where he is from or in Australia.  

So if I were him I would stop this as of now =)  Otherwise things could get messy for him in particular.  But then again that might be a good thing to give some money to Scott this way.  Maybe he will lower prices on premium.  

Also because he uses and calls it Gameranger client he can be sued for trademark infringement as well.  Basically the same thing implies for the issue with the copywright infringement as it does for Gameranger infringement ot I should say trademark infringement.  So, again, if you ever want to actually have a life after this I would stop now Wink

BTW, straight from a lawyer's mouth Wink

Saberian

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2004, 04:57:45 am »

Quote from Learn the Law:

He can also be gone after in tort.  Anyone over 7 can be named in a tort, and with a tort, even though XO may not have jack shit today, in the US these decisions are valid for 20 years, so anything he makes in the next 20 years can go to pay off the tort decision.  

Question Learn the Law?  what is the point of putting up all of these cases when most people here dont understand that.  Another point, What other way can you go after him other then tort?  Please enlighten.

Saberian

BTW Bardiel, well put Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:00:42 am by :MoD:Saberian » Logged

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
BTs_eight

Ka-BoOM!

« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2004, 01:01:22 pm »

In a case involving printer maker Lexmark and Static Control Components, the U.S. Copyright Office last year ruled that the DMCA does not prohibit reverse engineering if the intent is to make the duplicated product work with a separate computer program.

Real says its developers did not engage in reverse engineering. "What we did was not reverse engineering. ... We looked at publicly available data moving between the user and the IPod," Sean Ryan, RealNetworks' vice president of Music Services, said on the sidelines at Plug.IN.

Seems to me like Xo has a case if Scott brings him up....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 01:03:53 pm by BTs_eight » Logged

*DAMN VOODOO GOT CAUGHT!
xoclipse

ownage

« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2004, 10:54:04 pm »

Hello again everyone, i've just completed version 0.2 of the client Smiley.

Windows Screenshot: http://gameranger.sourceforge.net/gameranger-0.2-win.jpg
Windows Binary Download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gameranger/gameranger-client-0.2-win.zip?download

Linux Screenshot: http://gameranger.sourceforge.net/gameranger-0.2-linux.jpg
Linux Binary Download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gameranger/gameranger-client-0.2-linux.tar.gz?download

Source Code Download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gameranger/gameranger-client-0.2-src.tar.gz?download

Changes for this version -

Fixed:
Error with list control indexes.
Crashing when pressing enter in main chat.
Fixed message of the day on linux.

New Features:
Public Lobby Chat
Private Messages
User icons
Sorted game room list by game name
Sorted user list alphabetically
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 10:54:17 pm by xoclipse » Logged

"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2004, 12:04:45 am »

Huzzah for the Xo.

Keep it coming...

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2004, 12:30:18 am »

xoclipse...get that this won't end good for you if you don't stop this illegal bs... you're already in serious trouble.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads