*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 02:28:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Cross-Platform Gameranger
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cross-Platform Gameranger  (Read 33263 times)
westamastaflash

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2004, 03:42:05 pm »

Oh but I did.  Tongue
Learn the law
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2004, 05:39:51 pm »

Xoclipse used a packet sniffer to view the informational packets that were being sent from his computer and built his entire application from the ground up, but made a "compatible" communication protocol to use with his client (which means he used the GR communication protocol).

He also posted publicly all the information with his source code.

So far, XO can be investigated for breaking 6 US Federal laws: 18 USC ? 1361-2, prohibiting malicious mischief; 18 USC ? 1831, prohibiting stealing of trade secrets; 18 USC ? 2314, prohibiting interstate transport of  stolen, converted, or fraudulently obtained material;  does apply to computer data files  U.S. v. Riggs, 739 F.Supp. 414 (N.D.Ill?1990); 18 USC ? 2319 and 17 USC ? 506(a), criminal violations  of copyright law; 18 USC ? 2510-11, prohibiting interception of electronic communications;

He can also be gone after in tort.  Anyone over 7 can be named in a tort, and with a tort, even though XO may not have jack shit today, in the US these decisions are valid for 20 years, so anything he makes in the next 20 years can go to pay off the tort decision.  

Ross, lose the nonsense about him being too young to enter a contract, since it's not how you read the laws, but how the court has deemed to apply them that counts.  Any court that finds him too young will just go after his parents, since they would then be considered the responsible parties, if he can't be considered responsible for himself.

Putting the code on sourceforge was a mistake.  

I can think of a dozen reasons why Evill would not react by just shutting down access by XO's code.  From the fact that it's not really functional yet to building a case for litigation to writing a more secure client and changing some protocols extensively.  
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2004, 06:23:58 pm »

The fact that Evill hasn't posted here yet makes me pretty confident he's pursuing legal action. I think the shit is gonna hit the fan for XO pretty soon.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
Ross K.
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2004, 06:40:52 pm »

I love the double standard here: http://news.com.com/Is+Real%27s+iPod+%22hacking%22+legal%3F/2100-1030_3-5290814.html?tag=nefd.lede
Apparently large businesses can do whatever the hell they want, and cause serious fiscal damages, but a kid like xo can't do something nearly identical, that doesn't even cause monetary damages.
the oNe
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2004, 06:45:01 pm »

Ross, money isn't the problem.  It's the fact that most people on GR don't like the idea of PC users "invading" their mac-only gaming service.  Also, since this is open source, that could create more problems for xoc.
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2004, 07:16:21 pm »

Also, XO doesn't have Scott's permission to make a PC version, and he definitely is using Scott's servers without his permission. So, in a way, with the bandwith used, he is costing Scott some money. Not much, but it's still something.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
BTs_eight

Ka-BoOM!

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2004, 09:35:14 pm »

it wouldnt surprise me if evill banned everyone involved in this. it would be a very evill thing to do.

Would it be safe to ban someone who can make something with direct competition.... especially some open source thing?

All it takes is a bit of funding and xo can have his own servers running...
Lets keep in mind what uses this can have.. Playing with PC guys... bad bad bad....! Why would  PC guys play with us hated mac heads? Who play all the old games compared to the pc world?
I dunno....

1 use that i thought this could be good for are those people at work during the day bored off their asses... maybe not even bored but like to have a window open to chat with their buddies... So then letting PC people who are generally mac, who are apart of the community, on GR, wouldn't be so bad.

That's my take on it...

Again, if we made GR available to PC users... WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO PLAY A GAME THAT IS ALREADY A YEAR OR TWO OLD TO THE PC PEOPLE!!!

This program if it has no ingame/inchatroom availabilty, would be great for those who do work during the day and would like to chat with their buddies...

I mean seriously... A PC guy would hate coming to the mac world anyways..... Anytime there is a new and different idea, the community basically just goes off on how "gay" or "stupid" something is. I mean to a really annoying level, somewhat like prejiduce...(sp)

If, Xo is breaking laws... then watch out xo.... If he isn't then do your thing man... Just please DO NOT LET THE PC PEOPLE PLAY WITH US...

hey Xo...Seriously man.... PC cheats run through the world like a wildfire.

*DAMN VOODOO GOT CAUGHT!
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2004, 10:04:10 pm »

WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO PLAY A GAME THAT IS ALREADY A YEAR OR TWO OLD TO THE PC PEOPLE!!!

The same reason we want to play Rogue Spear. And hell, that's THREE years old...

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
core.Sinister

Check your six!!

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2004, 10:15:14 pm »

Or he doesn't even waste his time with video games like so many other people do here.

And i find it interesting you didn't show the same [or lack thereof] respect for open source in the Rogue Spear thread.

Maybe because the idea is to actually ASK for rogue spear to become open source.
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2004, 11:42:20 pm »

PC'ers never had to deal with change of OS, they can still play all those old games, right?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Juggler
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2004, 12:22:49 am »

Hey everyone, just lookin at the thread and wondering where scott is...  why would he take so long to post?...
get your facts right
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2004, 01:04:41 am »

I love the double standard here: http://news.com.com/Is+Real%27s+iPod+%22hacking%22+legal%3F/2100-1030_3-5290814.html?tag=nefd.lede
Apparently large businesses can do whatever the hell they want, and cause serious fiscal damages, but a kid like xo can't do something nearly identical, that doesn't even cause monetary damages.

Apple will be going after REAL about this, they have already said they are investigating just which lines were crossed.  Gathering the facts.  Just like Evill could be doing.  What smart people do before litigating.  

Use your head before your mouth.
D's Advocate
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2004, 01:14:55 am »

Spike.aHa.... nextime I'll runn spell checkk, like you, before i post.  So i mised a few letter, who cares?

A round of applause for Spike......  HE KNOWS HOW TO USE SPELL CHECK!!!!!

yaaa

Seriously, thats all you have to say?  You can only understand sentences if EVERY word is spelled correctly.  Thats pretty sad.  lol.

Mister Devil's Advocate is one of the reasons I'm glad for mac-only communities.  Grin No, I'm not one of those "FUK U PCERZ" people. I just don't like snooty, snippy, sarcastic bastards such as yourself with no balls to post using your own name.

Snooty and sarcastic bastard?  Well if thats so, i guess i fit in around here, dont I?  Seems that my attitude is the norm around here.

no balls to post with my own name???  hahaha..... Thats funny cause this was my first posting and i have never registered to this site, and even if i posted my "real name"  you wouldnt know me anyway.

oh and BTW, who the hell said i didnt own a macintosh... infact i have 3 macs.....  an old 450mHz G3, a 12" powerbook and a 2GHz G5  

But i sure as hell didnt buy them to play games on.
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2004, 01:17:56 am »

Apple probabaly won't want to ruin the company, so they might just take the counter-attack and block Harmony shortly after Real releases. It's gonna be hilarious.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2004, 02:28:05 am »

Hey everyone, just lookin at the thread and wondering where scott is...  why would he take so long to post?...
He has decided to not post.  I saw him browsing the forums a few days ago.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
the oNe
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2004, 02:58:25 am »

D Advocate you are hillus.  Also, this forum doesn't have a spell checker.

Oh yeah, I made a little movie about this: http://www.fanta.dk/news.asp?nid=8DBE6BDD-F386-4348-8220-A36185449746
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 03:21:56 am by Daf One » Logged
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2004, 06:45:26 am »

What does it mean that scott has decided not to post?

And yes, no spellchecker. It seems I have had some kind of education that has taught me the joys of grammar and spelling. Fancy that.

Edit: I spelled "grammar" wrong.  it was 1 in the morning. oh well
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 06:41:55 pm by Spike.aHa » Logged

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
xoclipse

ownage

« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2004, 07:07:06 am »

hey,
I'm happy to say i was able to compile the app under linux with only a few minor changes! I was using Fedora Core 2 on my x86, running KDE.  Here is a snapshot i took of the application running under linux:
http://www.fraghosts.net/gr-linux.jpg

All I can say is wxWidgets is an amazing toolkit.

spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2004, 07:14:04 am »

Despite being disgusted, I'm quite impressed.

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2004, 07:30:59 am »

What does it mean that scott has decided not to post?
I think it means that he doesn't want to interfere, because he wants as much information as possible so he can take action against xo.  I think it also means that he doesn't want anything HE says to be used against him.  That is just the impression I get.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads