*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:31:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  GhostSniper Is BACK!!!
Poll
Question: What Was the Best Fighter of WWII?
American P-51 Mustang - 4 (18.2%)
American P-38 Lightning - 3 (13.6%)
Russian Yak-3 - 2 (9.1%)
British Spitfire - 8 (36.4%)
German Bf 109 - 0 (0%)
German Fw-190 - 1 (4.5%)
German Me 262 - 2 (9.1%)
Japanese A6M Zero - 2 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GhostSniper Is BACK!!!  (Read 1442 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: June 05, 2004, 05:27:42 pm »

Well, for my first thread since I have been back, I thought I would make another worthless poll!  Cause I know you all like polls.  Smiley

Anyhow, I didn't necessarily list the very best fighters built during WWII because many of those were not greatly produced or did not see significant service (F8F Bearcat, P-80 Shooting Star, Gloster Meteor, etc).  So these that are listed were actually produced in great numbers and actually made a difference in the air war.  The Me 262 is the only jet aircraft on the list, because it is the only one that saw regular air combat.

I'm glad to be back!

Peace.

-GhostSniper Out.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:29:18 pm »

I'm gonna say the japanese one, because those little bastards were able to fly themselves into enemy ships and stuff, that took some guts.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 05:35:21 pm »

I thought I would make another worthless poll!

well you said it.....

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 05:53:29 pm »

I thought I would make another worthless poll!
well you said it.....

hehehe....Yes I did!

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

macuser1984

Mac User Since 1984!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:58:05 pm »

Where is the P-47 Thunderbolt on the list?  Bah!  Bad list!

Diplomats are just as essential in starting a war as soldiers are in finishing it.

--Will Rogers--
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 07:46:18 pm »

OMG he is back. Time to leave the forums again  Grin

veni, vidi, vici
#SKUL Mr. President (Founder & Leader)
Stripes
Forum Whore

Zero Tolerance

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 08:10:21 pm »

wb gs

• - Stripes - •

- • www.zero-t-clan.com  • -

z][t - *DAMN Pre-Season Triple [ Winner Of GhR, GhR CQB, RvS Ladder ]
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 10:49:03 pm »

P38 gets my vote.
This plane had the firepower to take down a large squadron of bombers and the agility to take on most fighters..A briliantly crafted flying machine...

is it 2008 yet?
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 11:41:22 pm »

hi gs...

perhaps you could put a lid on the polls for a little while?
please?
pretty please?
with sugar?

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 01:40:39 am »

hi gs...

perhaps you could put a lid on the polls for a little while?
please?
pretty please?
with sugar?

Gee, didn't think I was over doing it....I havn't done one in a while.

Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 05:10:18 am »

last week doesn't count Tongue

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 06:31:55 am »

Actually I believe that was his brother's poll, Brain.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
*NADS Foxy

Semper Fidelis

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 07:34:16 am »

I agree with Brain. Even though I barely read this forum, much less post, these polls are nuts. Maybe lay off the virtual life a bit.

No Hump=No Own

"A Marine is a rain cooled, foot powered, spam fed, semi-automatic fighting machine, never known to have a stoppage."
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 09:25:15 pm »

Good to have you back.

Nothing beats a Spitfire.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 09:26:18 pm »

ps...

Spitfire. like six said. it was the daddy of its time Smiley

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 11:29:47 pm »

Spitfire was a great plane.  I'm actually surprised nobody said the Bf 109, the most produced fighter of all time (over 35,000 were built).  It was the fighter that all of the great German aces of WWII flew, including the highest scoring ace of all time, Erich Hartmann (352 confirmed kills).  And many of Hartmann's kills were against American P-51 Mustangs, a truely great feat of airmanship.

"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 12:14:46 am »

Spitfire was a great plane.  I'm actually surprised nobody said the Bf 109, the most produced fighter of all time (over 35,000 were built).  It was the fighter that all of the great German aces of WWII flew, including the highest scoring ace of all time, Erich Hartmann (352 confirmed kills).  And many of Hartmann's kills were against American P-51 Mustangs, a truely great feat of airmanship.

The reasons why I don't go for the bf-109 are threefold:

1) it's ugly - except for the G model (I love those two nose cannons).
2) most of the 109's kills, and most of it's aces, were made on the Eastern front. Not to dis the ruskies, but their airmen and aircraft sucked. When one man can rack up 300+ kills it not his skill alone.
3) I'm basing my preference for the Spit on the fact that it's glory came under the harshes of circumstances - the dark days of the Battle of Britian and the lonely war the English fought. Without Spits England may not have had the ablity to survive the German onslaught.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:11:23 am by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 12:19:24 am »

lol, Sixhits, you picture-thief! Shocked

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 12:25:33 am »

2) most of the 109's kills, and most of it's aces, were made on the Eastern front. Not to dis the ruskies, but their airmen and aircraft sucked. When one man can rack up 300+ kills it not his skill alone.

Only problem I have with this is twofold:

1.  A huge number of aces (Including Adolf Galland), and a huge number of kills, were made by the Bf 109 in the Western Front against Great Britain and American fighters.

2.  Although Erich Hartmann made almost all of his kills against Russian pilots on the Eastern Front, you forget one very important fact.  Erich Hartmann did not even get into the skies of Russia until the middle of the war, long after Russia started putting up a really good fight in the air with more experienced pilots and much better fighters.  So his 352 victories are really quite extraordinary when this is taken into account.  Many of the pilots with huge victory numbers in the East were veterans of the beginning of the war and racked up huge numbers when the Russians were badly outclassed.

The Bf 109 really was a great airplane, especially when you consider that it was one of the oldest fighters to serve during WWII (it first flew in 1935).

"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 02:02:11 am »

Only problem I have with this is twofold:

1.  A huge number of aces (Including Adolf Galland), and a huge number of kills, were made by the Bf 109 in the Western Front against Great Britain and American fighters.

2.  Although Erich Hartmann made almost all of his kills against Russian pilots on the Eastern Front, you forget one very important fact.  Erich Hartmann did not even get into the skies of Russia until the middle of the war, long after Russia started putting up a really good fight in the air with more experienced pilots and much better fighters.  So his 352 victories are really quite extraordinary when this is taken into account.  Many of the pilots with huge victory numbers in the East were veterans of the beginning of the war and racked up huge numbers when the Russians were badly outclassed.

The Bf 109 really was a great airplane, especially when you consider that it was one of the oldest fighters to serve during WWII (it first flew in 1935).

Off the top of my head I'd make the admitantly flawed argument that the success of the Me-109 is grounded in the vast numbers produced along with the incredible experience that the German pilots - those who lived - had. For some reason, the German's make awesome pilots. From the dawn of WWI till the end of WWII - they are the best.

As for Galland, I know he flew 109s, 190s, and 262s -  so he did it all.

As for Hartmann ALL his kills were made on the Eastern front, tho there are at least 5 confirmed Mustangs in there. And as for him starting late in the war that speaks to the qualities of the man, not the machine. He was just amazing.

Here's my favorite Hartmann link.

http://www.2worldwar2.com/erich-hartmann.htm

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads