*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:32:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  NEW G5! MAYBE?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NEW G5! MAYBE?  (Read 1600 times)
l ! l Ross

Macs Rule

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 12:07:57 am »

I used to always be positive to rumors. Thinking we would get stuff that we would not get and then being disappointed.

So now I always look at the much more realistic possibilities. IBM has been having trouble with the yields so am going with the no 3Ghz. If it is 3Ghz I will be very happy but I am prepared for the worst.

Hoping the G5 imac rumor is true.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 12:24:07 am »

On another note, Apple Legal has removed that image of the Unified design of the G5 (quad or so). Maybe we can assume that's what it'll be.

You snooze you loose buddy, I posted this tid bit of news about 5 post up Crypt. Wink

On wether or not I will buy a new Mac at this upgrade I can say this. My mac is getting old. I have pretty much upgraded the shit out of it  just about as much as I can. Its a Sawtooth first generation 400mhz G4 that I upgraded to a 1ghz w/ATI 8500 and 1 gig ram. I hope to god they release the 3ghz with this update because that is what I want, but.....I am prepared to purchase the fastest powermac availible even if its only 2.5ghz. I will still be happy as hell, but the 3ghz would pwn.  Grin

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 12:48:41 am »

I used to always be positive to rumors. Thinking we would get stuff that we would not get and then being disappointed.

So now I always look at the much more realistic possibilities. IBM has been having trouble with the yields so am going with the no 3Ghz. If it is 3Ghz I will be very happy but I am prepared for the worst.

You know that the rumors are saying what you're saying? What's realistic about not believing what the CEO of a company says. So now rumors are more realistic?

Rumor - 2-2.6 GHz G5s will be at WWDC
CEO - 3GHz will be reached at WWDC

So? What's realistic here?

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2004, 12:52:36 am »

I don't think we are going to see G5 iMacs... there is still a lot of Growth available in the G4 - and i think apple would be shooting themselves in the foot - who's going to want to Fork out all that money for a G5 processor but then put it in a imac shell?!?!

I do think we are about to see speed bumped G5s though... 2.5 sounds good - over than that seems optermistic given IBM's recent problems. - so i reckon we might see the announcment  but not the availability for a wee while.

free free to copy this repeatedly if im right... and to pretend i never said anything if im wrong Wink

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 01:16:37 am »

... 2.5 sounds good - over than that seems optermistic given IBM's recent problems...

Recent problems were in the manufacturing, not the designing or creation... wait thats too weakly worded... too open for lies. IBM has problems with their manufacturing (err) equipment for the 90nm. As you can see this is fixed. Did none of you come close to actually looking into half the stuff rumor sites say? 99% of the sites out there make stuff up based on random happenings. Chances are that IBM has been working very hard on getting the G5s to break the 3GHz barrier that they haven't had the time to release a "hold over" G5.

I wouldn't ever bet on 2.5 with Apple for 1 simple reason:

They release that, they are FUCKED!

Intel not only is going to be releasing their own new processor, this one may actually be worth a damn... which is saying a lot for intel. They have  3.2 GHz already... To the casual buyer 3.2 is bigger than 2.5. mmmkay? you see what I'm saying here? When intel releases their processor, it could range between 4-5 GhZ. That's a problem for a 2.5 to compete with...mmkay? Apple SAID SAID SAID 3 GHz and stop being skeptical, Steve will deliver. For him it's do or die for the Mac... If he doesn't deliver... they better hope iPods stay on-top.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 01:19:02 am »

You know that the rumors are saying what you're saying? What's realistic about not believing what the CEO of a company says. So now rumors are more realistic?

Rumor - 2-2.6 GHz G5s will be at WWDC
CEO - 3GHz will be reached at WWDC

So? What's realistic here?
Hmm...realistic?  I'd say the former, as much as I hope Teh Steve & Co. was able to pull it off.  The heat load of dual G5's @ 2GHz (130nm 970's) is handled by the current PowerMac G5 enclosure, but this is likely near the limit.  IBM mentioned that yields at 130nm have recently improved significantly and are nearly on target.  Meanwhile, earlier in the year, IBM encountered and acknowledged substancial problems with their 90nm yields (as did every other chip manufacturer in the switch from 130nm->90nm), and said nothing about its 90nm yields in their recent presentation.  This makes me believe that there is a good chance that 970FX will not be seen in quantity in time for the WWDC.

Edit:
IBM has problems with their manufacturing (err) equipment for the 90nm. As you can see this is fixed.
Can we?  What makes you think they were able to increase their 90nm yields in time and get an acceptable quantity for a release?

And I wouldn't really call this pessimism.  Probably realism.  Considering the current state of things, I'd say (regardless of what I'm hoping for) it is most likely that we will not be seeing 3GHz this soon.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:26:49 am by Cobra » Logged

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 01:46:30 am »

For you concept 1(if you will): The fact is that you all still believe in the misconception that the G5 is significantly hotter than the G4. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that the G5 is only marginally warmer, and that says nothing compared the intel counterparts. STOP MENTIONING HEAT. The only reason there are...7...or 9 fans is because it's quiet! Quieter than my old fans-less iMac. Quieter than my brothers Quicksilver tower. That's the reason. This misconception needs to die now.

As for #2: The original G5s were not in sufficient quantity until late september to December. The existence that IBM has the ability to produce the 3GHz is the only thing you could question, which of course isn't the issue here. IBM can produce 3GHz, maybe not in quantity but they can. Quantity is the only problem with IBM, not reaching/exceeding goals.

John Lennon
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 04:56:11 am »

For you concept 1(if you will): The fact is that you all still believe in the misconception that the G5 is significantly hotter than the G4. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that the G5 is only marginally warmer, and that says nothing compared the intel counterparts. STOP MENTIONING HEAT. The only reason there are...7...or 9 fans is because it's quiet! Quieter than my old fans-less iMac. Quieter than my brothers Quicksilver tower. That's the reason. This misconception needs to die now.
Hmm?  I have no complaints about heat dissipation in the G5's, nor any problems with noise.  Were you addressing me, or someone else?  I mentioned that while the current PowerMac enclosures handle the heat given off by dual 2GHz processors, the 970's are not likely to scale much higher, and a jump to 3GHz requires a 970FX (this chip will allow for higher clock speeds at a lower heat output and power requirements ? a 2.5GHz 970FX 90nm puts out about the same amount of heat as a 1.8GHz 970 130nm).  So...erm...I agree with what you've said here.

As for #2: The original G5s were not in sufficient quantity until late september to December. The existence that IBM has the ability to produce the 3GHz is the only thing you could question, which of course isn't the issue here. IBM can produce 3GHz, maybe not in quantity but they can. Quantity is the only problem with IBM, not reaching/exceeding goals.
Yup.  I just wouldn't guess that they were able to fabricate enough of 'em for a summer release in the PowerMac line.  We'll see soon enough.  However, even if they slipped from the promised summer deadline and had to push back shipping until the winter, I don't think people would all that much.  

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 04:49:36 pm »

Upgrades released. See other topic or maybe a moderator could merge the 2, maybe, huh, huh, huh....

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads