*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:26:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ex-U.S. Marine: I Killed Civilians in Iraq  (Read 904 times)
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« on: May 25, 2004, 04:03:22 am »

Ex-Marine Staff Sergeant Jimmy Massey talks about his time in Iraq where he admitted the U.S. treatment of Iraqi civilians is fueling the Iraqi resistance. In a recent interview he said "I felt like we were committing genocide in Iraq."

Streams, autio, and Transcript - http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/24/148212

Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in;  forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.    - Emerson
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 08:13:53 am »

Tragic. Very Tragic. But I doubt I would have acted differently than those marines he talks about. In fact, I know I would have done the exact same things they did. I would have felt horrible about it afterwards, but I would have done it just the same.

And despite what this guy says, nothing the marines did violated the geneva convention or the rules of engagement, as far as I can tell anyway. It's tragic, but, that's war. Shitty things happen.

But at the same time, I can totally understand what the Iraqi people are feeling right now. I don't know if I would be taking up arms against the US, I guess I have the good sense to let someone help me if they want to, but I can at least understand what they're feeling.

So we're back to it being just a huge tragedy. Each side is just doing what they have to do to survive. War is like that. First goal is survival, of both you and your buddies. Second goal is living with what you did to achieve that survival.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:22:42 pm »

violated the geneva convention or the rules of engagement

This is a touch of topic... but regarding the geneva convention i believe both the US and British broke the Geneva convention when we showed POWS.

So we're back to it being just a huge tragedy. Each side is just doing what they have to do to survive. War is like that. First goal is survival, of both you and your buddies. Second goal is living with what you did to achieve that survival.

And that, and for that reason, is why we should be doing everything possible to avert war.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 06:34:05 pm »

yeah shit happen during war, and thats why  it should be avoided everytime it is possible to do so. Dont go to war coz a couple of morons says so.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:34:28 pm by bobby » Logged

OMG another 4 years !!!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 07:02:32 pm »

Hopfully two of the biggest morons in goverments will be out soon. Blair won't make it through the next election and i sure hope bush dosnt.... Heres to a more peacefull future Cheesy

seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:06:26 pm »

BFG did you hear about Tommy Franks being knighted by the UK ministry of Defence.

here's the link (its CNN, sry about that ...)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/25/iraq.franks.knighthood/index.html

actually i have nothing against TF, i just think it's really bad timing...

OMG another 4 years !!!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 07:10:21 pm »

Oh God. the bloody defence minister Geff Hoon has a lot to answer for.
This isn't the MoD giving the award its the bloody politicians... Christ.

I doubt the British command is exactly inpressed with this. There have been some scathing remarks about the US 'heavy handed' approch in iraq ... i don't think they exactly love Franks...

"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 08:01:11 pm »

BFG did you hear about Tommy Franks being knighted by the UK ministry of Defence.

here's the link (its CNN, sry about that ...)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/25/iraq.franks.knighthood/index.html

actually i have nothing against TF, i just think it's really bad timing...

Of course, Tommy Franks is no fan of the Bush Admin. He's quoted as calling Douglas Feith, wingnut a la carte;

"I have to deal with the fucking stupidest guy on the face of the earth almost every day."

Page 281: of Bob Woodward's book PLAN OF ATTACK.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:22:17 pm »

Yeah, Franks did appear a lot more human than others... and the presense of more than a couple of brain cells helps! Smiley

Its a bit weird giving him that honor though... he can't actually use it as he isn't a british citizen - otherwise he would now be Sir.Tommy Franks heh.

... but like u said bobby, very bad timing!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads