*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:25:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Haiti Crisis
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Haiti Crisis  (Read 853 times)
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« on: March 02, 2004, 02:50:37 am »

This very interesting AP article claims that the former Haitian president Jean-Bertrand Aristide was forcibly removed from power by US forces against his will.

The article quotes Aristide himself as saying: "No. I was forced to leave. They were telling me that if I don't leave they would start shooting, and be killing in a matter of time."

Another interesting quote from the article: "Aristide told reporters that he signed documents relinquishing power out of fear that violence would erupt in Haiti if he didn't comply with the demands of "American security agents."

If this turns out to be true the rammifications of this are quite troubling indeed. This will mark the second time in as many years the US government will have deposed a foreign leader just because they didn't like him. However, it's far more serious this time. In Iraq, they tried to sell the action to the public and even got congressional approval first. In Haiti, I doubt congress was even sent an email about it before we went in. (Not that congressional authorization is an excuse to go into any country and remove people we don't like but at least it stays within the limits of the Consitution.)

To put it simply, if this is true, Bush just unilaterally deposed the leader of a foreign government without even consulting congress beforehand. This is a major step towards a military dictatorship and is a serious abuse of his presidential power.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
Cossack
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

SEMPER TRANSFUEGA

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 03:41:59 am »

It is still pure speculation. One good thing about this action is that France and the United States are cooperating. Afterall Haiti used to be a French colony and they do have some responsibility concerning the welfare of Haiti. It was their colonial actions that are partly responsible for the instability in the country. Another difference between this and Iraq is this is another Liberia. Both sides invited us in and the international community is behind us. As for strongarming like that, well who knows, but as of now it is baseless speculation.

BREAD LAND AND PEACE!
R.I.P Grifter
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 04:02:34 am »

Well i hope for bush's sake its true... Im just glad someone has gone in there, and its a good thing the french and americans are working together on this one...

I must say i was very surprised to see in the papers this morning that the americans had flown Aristide out.... only a few hours earlier i had been seeing reports on how stubbon he was being, and blatently refusing to move whatever happend.... So for him just to pop out the country like that....

Specualtion of course just speculation

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 04:37:56 am »

well this isn't the first time he had to be removed for his own safety. this rebellion has been going on for three weeks now and the rebels have demanded only one thing on thier march to the capital, that aristide leave. he's now gone, international troops headed by americans, french, and canadians are on the ground and hopefully all will work out. i know on the news the haiti looks like somalia, but the hatian people are some of the hardest working and kindest people in the world. they just live in horrible poverty, mainly thanks to aristide.

i like the part where he said he was told to leave by white americans. thing is his entire personal security force is white americans, ex cia and the like that he hired after the last time rebels demanded his removal.

if anything it took too long for international troops to move into action. the rebels have been taking over towns and murdering innocent people for three weeks now. i thought bush, and even more so the u.n. and the french should've gone in at least before the capital was surrounded.

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 04:39:37 am »

so, while we're all just speculating here.  i wonder (if all accusations lodged are true) wether this would effectively cancel out or override the 'rollout' of a captured bin laden at the republican national convention (assuming of course that those reports are true and the us and pakistan are lying through their teeth)

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 04:45:23 am »

I doubt the religious right would bat an eye over the Hati situation(for obvious reasons), and the use of covert action, which is nothing new. The U.S. put him there(Aristide), so I reckon Karl Rove will be hard at work spinning this into a non-issue.

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads