*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:22:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  The Difference b/w CAMPING and WAITING
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Difference b/w CAMPING and WAITING  (Read 1427 times)
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« on: February 17, 2004, 07:45:45 pm »

OK I just wanna voice my opinion on the difference between CAMPING and WAITING.  

I had an unfortunate experience this morning with some Euro RvS host hardheaded moron.  I cannot remember the hosts name, I think it was Mali or Malian, something like that; and if I got the name wrong and happened to pick someone else's real GR name, I apologize in advance.

I was playing on this Euro server and I happened to be on the hosts team.  I would say that there was about 4-5 players per team.  Anyway, as we kept playing I started to notice that the host kept doing some major camping.  It go to the point where the players started to get frustrated, including myself, and they began leaving one by one; totally understable.

I respected the fact that it was this guy who was hosting and his game room, and so I just bit my lip and took it up the ass, until I could no longer take it.  The following round I confronted him about it (not caring at that point if he was going to boot me) and asked why he was camping every round; keep in mind that I did not ask in a rude way b/c I knew it was his game room.  I simply explained to him that there were alot of players that had left the room b/c he kept camping.

Well, let me tell you, rather than discussing it in a civilized way, this guy started to freak on me, using caps and telling me that its his room and that he can do whatever he wanted, and that if I dont like it I could leave.  Myself, like an idiot, actually tried to rectify the situation by explaining to him that I respected the fact that it was his host but that it wasn't exactly fun to watch him always sitting in one spot waiting for him to either kill everyone or be killed (which was never since he always managed to perch himself in an enclosed area).

I guess since he noticed that I wasn't offended by his outburst and that there were less and less players every round, he simply said that he would not camp any longer and for us to keep playing.  Unconvinced, I decided to kill myself the next round to see if he was gonna keep his word or BS me.  So, after killing myself at the beginning of the round, I viewed the rest of the game through the hosts 3rd person view and just as I suspected he camped and camped and camped.

In between rounds I asked why he was still camping and he just ignored me and started the game (I guess you can force start the game).  Well, it didn't bother me too much since I knew that I was getting most of the kills because I actually went around searching for the other team, so I just used the game as a skills practice.  So, the following round I noticed that he had committed suicide, at the time I just figured that he made a bad nade toss and paid for it, but as it turns out he did it so that he could now view how I was playing.

To make a long story short (even tho its already long lol) and to get the point across of this thread; during that round, what had happened was I got a couple of kills (2 out of the 3 players from the other team) by leaning around corners of the wall and spotting the enemy coming in my direction and knowing that they did not see me, so I simply leaned back, took cover and WAITED for the fish to come and until I took them down.

After the game was over, the host started to blast me saying that I was CAMPING.  I explained to him that I did not camp one bit.  He said I did since he was watching the game through me, so I asked where and how was I camping.  He mentioned about my kills and that I was CAMPING b/c I sat there till the kill came to me and took them down.  I explained that its not camping to wait for a kill to come to you when you KNOW the enemy is there and coming in your direction.  We kept going back and forth for a good 10-15min until I decided not to listen to his ignorance any longer on what seems to me to be common sense and logical reasoning.

The difference b/w CAMPING and WAITING:

CAMPING = is when someone decides to sit in one spot NOT knowing where any of the enemies are and simply camp and wait for the kill.

WAITING = is when you spot an enemy (and the other player did not spot you), for example, either around a corner or as a player opens a door coming in your direction and you are on the other end and you take them down.

Despite what many people might think, these two are not one in the same, they are two very different situations.  Again, some may think waiting is in essence camping, it is not.  It is, if you have no idea where players are but when you spot someone and they didn't see you and you wait for them, that is in no way camping.  It simply means, that you are taking cover and waiting for the inevitable.....the fact that they did not see you and are continuing forward on their course towards you. (what else are you supposed to do?)

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I'm not guilty of ever camping, of course I have, its part of the game, just as the occasional TK, but its when it becomes an on-going chronic pattern that it should become an issue.  This is why I am grateful for clans like MP that made a rule addressing this issue in that they have no tolerance for camping and that they will boot you if you do.  This is something to respect because it is their server and some people just have no respect for other peoples rules.

Anyway, that is the difference b/w CAMPING and WAITING so just make note of it before blasting someone about it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:37:21 pm by KoS Nomad » Logged

The King of Pistoleros
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:14:30 pm »

Great job breaking down the distinction.

Too many people get upset over camping issues when they don't really know what it is to be a camper.

True campers really stall a game. Watching is a tactic.

Most of the time camping doesn't bother me, cause it's pretty straight forward to identify that someone is camping, then to reduce the various areas they can camp, until you backdoor them. And no hole beats a nade.

My complaints lie with SKing. This is mostly a GhR issue, I believe. But unlike most people who complain about SKs, I think it's the complainers who are in the wrong. My opinion is that if one team messes up so badly as to let the enemy SK them, then it is that teams fault. SKs are skill kills, cause you need to get into a position to SK, plus, you are often in the heart of the beast, thus facing stiff opposion. Finally, what would Jesus do he was going for the smoke and an enemy spawned before him? Why, Jesus would drop the sucka.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 10:40:37 pm »

I'm not sure I agree at all. The player should have a chance to get his bearings before coming under accurate fire from the other side. The fact is, its easier to pick off people just as they've spawned. They're not sure where to look, they are always in the same spot, etc. I've always considered spawn kills an indication of lack of talent. It's like shooting drugged ducks.

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
c| PsyOps

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:02:52 pm »

Turn off spawns if you can't handle being spawn-killed.  What is a combatant to do when chumps spawn in front of them--throw down his weapon and let the spawner kill him?  Sure it doesn't take much skill to actually killl the spawners, but it takes skill to kill on the way to the spawn (and not be killed).  Are combatants supposed to run in the opposite direction of the opponents spawn?  That sounds like retreat and almost like peace, lol.  Maybe guns should be banned from GhR as well then.

I'm    Your    Mind!?
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 11:18:13 pm »

Here's my way of thinking in regards to SKs.

inhibiting someone, in any way, from taking SKs is punishing skill.

I know how it sucks to be SKed - I know cause people do it to me all the time! It makes me burn we anger. But I want to get even by taking down, not by telling them how mean they are to SK me.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 11:21:49 pm »

I think things are getting a little off track.  I'm not talking about Spawn Killings, although I think some of you have a point, but I think that would be an entirely different thread, this thread is talking strictly on camping vs waiting.  

The King of Pistoleros
|MP|Cringe

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:14:30 am »

Also, spawn killing isnt a problem in rvs, you poor, poor people still playing ghr.

Evill: Rapid, stfu.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 06:04:02 pm »

lol nowt wrong with a nice game of GhR. Nowt wrong with a nice game of RvS come to think... but i wouldn't pick on or the other..

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 05:41:30 am »

My stereoty-ed and very sarcastic view on the subject:

If your finger isnt firmly mashed down on the Forward key, youre a dirty, dirty camping bastard!!

(Actually, i dont have a problem with people camping me out or whatever, minus the irritation at overly long games, if it works, it works, and i can garuntee you if you were a squishy pink body in that situation, instead of a bunch of 1's & 0's, you would be just as campy and/or cautious as the worst "camper" out there)

Lone-Wolf

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 06:43:31 am »

If your finger isnt firmly mashed down on the Forward key, youre a dirty, dirty camping bastard!!

lmfao.

That's one of the better quotes I've heard in a while.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads