*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:29:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  France has gone and done it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: France has gone and done it.  (Read 2366 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: February 10, 2004, 08:37:55 pm »

Channel 4 news in the UK:

France has just voted by apparently a huge majority to ban any child from wearing a headscarf in school... apparently skull caps and large cross's ect could be soon to follow...

Absurd.. totally absurd

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:31:44 pm »

My god...

Who said it was just one crazy frenchman...?

They're all crazy.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 09:32:55 pm »

the vote was 494-36. i'm pretty much against religion, but i respect other people's beliefs and traditions. it's kinda shocking and quite shamefull that they'd be doing this, even more amazing is how much the the vote won by. i see lots of problems for the french government with this one. if it were a matter of taste or saftey i may understand it. like girls wearing exrta revealing clothing in school or gang members wearing aticles of clothing that show their "gang colors" or shit like that. the christians and jews will protest this and take it to the courts, the muslims (france has europes largest muslim population)  however may not go about it in the same manner.

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:35:02 pm »

like girls wearing exrta revealing clothing in school

Hey... we need something to keep our sanity while sitting in class listening to a teacher talk for an hour.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:41:05 pm »

It is stated in the french constitution that religion is not to be shown in schools. Outside, you can do whatever you want.
Catholics (the majority in France) agree on that, why shouldnt any other religion do the same ?

OMG another 4 years !!!
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 09:41:48 pm »

i agree completly snipe. that's one of the reasons i live in south beach now, i got tired of having to use my x-ray vision to see through the three layers of clothes the girls wear up north.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 09:42:45 pm by Cutter » Logged

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 10:07:38 pm »

Just one more thing that makes me feel good about boycotting all French goods.  And if they ever think I'm gonna waste my money visiting there again they're really fucking crazy.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Ssickboy

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 02:17:48 am »

ghostsniper, I'm always somewhat offended in each post you make.  Unless you have suddenly changed overnight, I really doubt you can empathize with anything outside of your livingroom.

The People of France have they're own constitution, own rules, own chemistry of cultures and practices.  I too was  surprized by france's decision to ban religious wear in schools until I read eOe bob's post.  

It is stated in the french constitution that religion is not to be shown in schools. Outside, you can do whatever you want.  Catholics (the majority in France) agree on that, why shouldnt any other religion do the same ?

In our own constitution we have the separation of church and state.  France practices this to a stricter degree than we do, and maybe they're onto something.  It sounds like they democratically voted it for this way, and I can only respect that.   To say France is crazy, is only showing how niave you are to cultures and opinions other than your own.  

My guess is in two year's or less, it will not even be an after thought.  I remember just before the recent smoking ban in New York, people thought smokers would storm and raze City Hall.  Has it even been a year? Smoking outside has become a way of life.  And as a smoker I'm kinda thankful for it.  

Sorry ghostsniper for the insult.  I actually appreciate reading an opinion as extremely opposite to my own.  It just takes me a few minutes to cool off and realize it.  

Retire Bush
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 03:18:10 am »

On the one hand i agree with this law as it would help to stop discrimination and segregation simply by making everyone look the same...seemingly.  

On the other hand...shouldn't it be up to the individual?  It's awful that a person of a deferent religion gets picked on at school simply for that fact, but that is the world we live in.  Disgracefully as it my be to the person due to their religion the choice should be theirs.  Even if the going gets ruff i still think they should be given the choice to wear their colors or not.

Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in;  forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.    - Emerson
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 04:12:26 am »

Yeah i have to agree i think the seperation of state and religion is a very wise one.. i wish we could do the same and the americans also..

Just one more thing that makes me feel good about boycotting all French goods

Dont tell me... you like calling french fries 'freedom fries' . and why dosn't u boycotting french goods surprise me....

Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 05:11:43 am »

Ssickboy, I'm usually the first to jump on GS, but what is wrong with him boycotting French goods? He doesn't like the way their country does things, so he chooses not to spend his money on stuff that will cause the flow of cash to head to France. (Disclaimer: I boycott French goods too. The sneaky trading-with-Saddam bastards aren't to be trusted.)

As for the law, from what I gather, people cannot wear headscarves and the like due to their religious connotations in some religions (Islam I assume). If that's true, that's crap. I know our Constitution isn't theirs, but I feel that freedom of religion is a basic human right. It's not like these kids are forcing their religion on others; they are simply abiding by the religious laws they adhere to.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Scrach

Microsoft sux

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 05:18:02 am »

Freedom fries are the work of members of the KKK too scared to go against black people because they know that the black people will kick their ass.

I mean this is really retarted in my book that head scarves are banned.  I mean what will be the next to go? All resturaunts under 4 stars(I got that one from robin williams live on brodway too Grin)

But we really should critizize America more because if Americans don't critizise America no one will because we will have blown them up already.

Scrach

From Robin Williams Live on Brodway:
When did you realize that you were creating a monopoly?
Gates:Monopoly is just a game senitor. I am trying to crontrol the whole fucking world.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 06:05:28 am »

Why SHOULD I call them "French" fries???  The French didn't invent them....they are a product of Belgium.  So if I want to call them "Freedom" Fries, I am no less wrong than if I called them "French" Fries.

By the way, I never did call them Freedom Fries....just as I would not have changed the name "hamburger" during WWII because of the German connotation.

Last but not least, I am at a dilema.....the Ford Thunderbird....the very nice $40,000 + vehicle that I sell....has a transmission made in France.  Now just how the hell do I boycott a product that I sell???  lol

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Ssickboy

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 08:27:46 am »

you guys can boycott all you want.  it's your own right.  I think it's kind of silly.  It all started with France not supporting GW's war, right?  So after not finding any WMD's, 500+ soldiers lost, a chaotic Iraq, and Bush's approval rating dropping through the floor... let me know when the mass boycott of France is over.  

How do schools that require uniforms in the US deal with this issue?

Retire Bush
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 10:08:36 am »

It is stated in the french constitution that religion is not to be shown in schools. Outside, you can do whatever you want.  Catholics (the majority in France) agree on that, why shouldnt any other religion do the same ?
The People of France have they're own constitution, own rules, own chemistry of cultures and practices.  I too was  surprized by france's decision to ban religious wear in schools until I read eOe bob's post.  

Well, IF it actually said that in their constitution, that would be something.  However, I just read through Article 89, and it only mentions Education once, that being in Article 34, where it says that Parliament shall make rulings over it.

Most of us that studied history know that the French constitution used the American constitution as a template, improving and changing on it where they saw fit.  So, as you can imagine, the start of theirs is quite like ours:
PREAMBLE
The French people solemnly proclaim their attachment to  the Rights of Man and the principles of national sovereignty as defined by the Declaration of 1789, confirmed and complemented by the Preamble to the  Constitution of 1946.

By virtue of these principles and that of the  self-determination of peoples, the Republic offers to the overseas  territories that express the will to adhere to them new institutions  founded on the common ideal of liberty, equality and fraternity and  conceived with a view to their democratic development.

Article 1
France shall be an indivisible, secular, democratic and  social Republic. It shall ensure the equality of all citizens before the  law, without distinction of origin, race or religion. It shall respect all  beliefs. It shall be organised on a decentralised basis.

So you can see that they find liberty important.  They say it shall ensure the equality of all, without distinction of religion.  

IT SHALL RESPECT ALL BELIEFS.

Guess Not.

I'm all for the French fucking up their own country as much as they want.  How they treat themselves is their own say.  But, unless there's a new article to the French constitution that I can't fine yet, it doesn't say that.  

As a matter of fact, it says it less than our own American constitution does.

I'll be interested to find out if it holds up under challenge in the courts there.  Than again, it probably will, because if you read their constitution, you have to have Parliament's permission to arrest any of it's members for a crime.

For those that care, you can read the official english translation here:
http://www.assemblee-nat.fr/english/8ab.asp

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 04:27:27 pm »

actually the english version of the constitution misses one point:

http://www.assemblee-nat.fr/connaissance/constitution.asp#P12_2411

Article 1 says the following:
"La France est une R?publique indivisible, la?que, d?mocratique et sociale."

The word "laique" means that the Republic is not related to any religion whatsoever.

On 12/11/1905, a law was voted that split the State and the Church.
Article 16 states that there is gonna be specific public places (churches, synagogues, temples, mosque..) for the practice of the religion.
Article 28 states that it is forbidden to place and show any religious belief outside those specific public places.
Article 30 states that religious courses is to be given outside regular public school hours.

Since wearing a headscarf is an apparent religous practice, it should not be tolerated in public schools.

Anyway, the law just passed and it is way more specific that before.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:27:49 pm by e?e bob » Logged

OMG another 4 years !!!
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 07:36:40 pm »

I'm with bob on this one, there are a lot of beautiful women with mid-eastern heritage (especially Persians).

Aside of that, I just want to point out how disgusting I think GS reasoning for not saying french fries is, he apparently thinks the US and France are at war.

And why would you boycott a country that just happens to disagree with you a bit? It's not like they have child labour and public executions, it's just fucking politics. We're all peaceful free countries, why should we be so hostile against eachother? It's just stupid.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 07:50:55 pm »

What Kami said. and repeat.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 08:18:28 pm »

actually the english version of the constitution misses one point:

http://www.assemblee-nat.fr/connaissance/constitution.asp#P12_2411

Article 1 says the following:
"La France est une R?publique indivisible, la?que, d?mocratique et sociale."

The word "laique" means that the Republic is not related to any religion whatsoever.

Article 1
France shall be an indivisible, secular, democratic and  social Republic

It didn't miss it at all Bob, notice the word secular.  Maybe you should look it up if you don't know the meaning.

On 12/11/1905, a law was voted that split the State and the Church.
Article 16 states that there is gonna be specific public places (churches, synagogues, temples, mosque..) for the practice of the religion.
Article 28 states that it is forbidden to place and show any religious belief outside those specific public places.
Article 30 states that religious courses is to be given outside regular public school hours.

Since wearing a headscarf is an apparent religous practice, it should not be tolerated in public schools.

Anyway, the law just passed and it is way more specific that before.

1) That is a law, not the constitution.  You said it was covered in the constitution last post.
2) That law was put in place following the French Army / Government's framing and jailing of Dryfus (a Jew that was framed of spying for Germany to save the reputation of a Catholic).
3) That law was never completely reinstated after the 1945 liberation (France changed some key parts of it, giving "nationalized" treasures back to the churches, etc).

Like I said, it will be interesting to see if it holds up, as it doesn't seem constitutional.

More importantly, it was meant to not have crosses, or other religious influences by public education on the students.  Not meant to curtail the liberties of the citizens.

France cared as much about liberty as anyone back then.  They wanted liberty from church rule.  They didn't want a church telling the people what to believe, they wanted people to have the choice (very very much like it was meant in America).  This new law removes liberty, removes some freedom.  Not a good thing for those that believe in what was meant by those words.

One last note, just to prove that Chirac is every bit as full of shit as Bush is, take heed that the wearing of christian crosses (something not even required of their religions) is still allowed as long as they are not deemed "too large".  

One of these days, people are going to understand that secular doesn't equal atheist.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 09:22:30 pm »

I'm with bob on this one, there are a lot of beautiful women with mid-eastern heritage (especially Persians).

Aside of that, I just want to point out how disgusting I think GS reasoning for not saying french fries is, he apparently thinks the US and France are at war.

And why would you boycott a country that just happens to disagree with you a bit? It's not like they have child labour and public executions, it's just fucking politics. We're all peaceful free countries, why should we be so hostile against eachother? It's just stupid.

First, you are retarded.

Second, GS never said he doesn't say french fries. He was merely pointing out one possible reason for not calling them french fries. And, if you could read, you would realize that he states that he never called them freedom fries.

Third, you are retarded.

Fourth, how the hell is an economic boycott hostile? GS (and I for that matter) doesn't like how France conducts itself. In fact, I think it's the perfect way to respond to how France had all those contracts with Saddam to trade oil. That's pretty fucked up to have been trading with one of the worst despots known to Earth, so I'm sure as hell not going to let them see a penny of mine to go along with their previous unethical profits.

Fifth, you are retarded. Drop your damn unfounded anti-American bias and maybe we can have a civil discussion sometime.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads