*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 02:33:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Future Gameranger update...!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Future Gameranger update...!!  (Read 8024 times)
c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2004, 07:44:05 am »

I think thats the best post ive ever read on these forums.  Amen for sanity.

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2004, 09:33:03 am »

And that post is written by the man that thinks the st. louis arch is in seattle  Wink

Noto
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2004, 07:50:42 pm »

And that post is written by the man that thinks the st. louis arch is in seattle  Wink

LOL  What the fuck are you talking about?? LOL.

I've been to the Arch, so i think I know where it is Wink

I think you're thinking of Diesel.  He still thinks California is for the Mexicans and that women aren't allowed to drive.

Joka you little cock tease, you.  Cheesy

.::|N| Noto
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2004, 09:32:00 pm »

*wonders if its too late to remove the post*  Shocked

lol, ohyea...it was the pittsburgh fucker   Grin

sry noto keep mixing you two handsome hunks  Smiley

kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2004, 09:32:38 pm »

I'm not going to bother reading through all that, I did read the first sentence though and all I've got to say to that is what the fuck does it matter if he's independently wealthy or not? Those banners are NOT going to give him much cash and what, you don't think he's worth the money for almost 5 years of developing? It doesn't matter if he's got a million dollars on his bank account or not, he's still worth it just as any working man is worth his paycheck.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2004, 11:20:13 pm »

Kami, if you don't read, you don't comment. Period.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2004, 01:20:03 am »

amen to that reverand.

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
Noto
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2004, 01:25:02 am »

Kami, if you don't read, you don't comment. Period.

I concur.  Kami, I never stated any facts about Scott Kevill's financial situation.  If you would have at least finished the first paragraph you would have lessened the pain that the rest of us endured while reading your ineloquent assumption.

Thanks for your contribution to the topic at hand.  Tongue

.::|N| Noto
Scrach

Microsoft sux

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2004, 03:24:47 am »

I think thats the best post ive ever read on these forums.  Amen for sanity.

Same here.
I agree completely if he need charity then he should rely on mac gamers and macgamers alone.  He won't make that much money.  If this was a cross platform thing "PC, Mac, Linux" This guy would be in the money. It is him and him alone that can control the financial out come of GR not the users just because there aren't enough playing and there aren't enought even willing to pay.  

Amen .::|N| Noto  ......... Amen

Man this topic is full of holy spirit.

From Robin Williams Live on Brodway:
When did you realize that you were creating a monopoly?
Gates:Monopoly is just a game senitor. I am trying to crontrol the whole fucking world.
Scrach

Microsoft sux

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2004, 03:36:46 am »

O yah in that visual representaion post of the ranking system did anyone notice that the dummy had a better ranking then Evill.
 lol that might explain it all Grin

Gates:Monopoly is just a game senitor. I am trying to crontrol the whole fucking world.
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2004, 05:44:26 am »

First off, nice to read a well composed post around here. Haven't read anything that complete since the early days of the Combat Mission forums @ battlefront.com

About the PC joiners being disabled in GR. I think this is what limits GR. There is no problem with PC joiners being able to join games where they are expected. This should definetly IMO at least be an option for premium hosted rooms.

Now that I think of it I'm emailing Evill.

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2004, 07:20:04 am »

Do we know how much money he makes from advertisements?  

Yes

Maybe he is independently wealthy and has nothing better to do but GR.  The facts are that we do not know his financial circumstances.  Therefore, we should avoid making assumptions.  

But you are making an assumption.  You are assuming that Evill has lied about this.  He has discussed both his financial status and how much advertisements cost.  We all also saw how many months he went without any advertisers with the .com crash.

For those of you who throw blame towards the non-premiums for not supporting GR, maybe GR does not need financial support from people who use it.? Double check that, I said maybe.? For all we know, Scott Kevill is getting support from the developers of the games that are hosted through a variety of means.? I have made no assumptions here, but I have also used only the facts that we know.

Wrong Noto.  You have not used all the facts we know.  All the facts that you know maybe.  

The bottom line is this:? Scott Kevill cannot put his business into the hands of teenagers with monetary limits, nor can he put his business into the hands of $50 donations here and there.? It is his business , and it is soley up to him to find the proper means of supporting that business.? If GR had to shut down due to the lack of financial stability, the users of GameRanger cannot, and should not, be blamed.?

I think you are 100% wrong here Noto.  First, your example.  Want to use a fitting analogy, use the demo version of Ghost Recon maybe.  There are two version of Ghost Recon, one you can have for free that is limited, and one that you have to pay for which is not.  The one that is not limited costs you $50 (wow, that was correct when GhR came out too).  

Now, you can choose to be a freeloader.  Choose to not buy the actual product.  But when that publisher stops making games for the mac, goes out of business, you have nobody to blame but yourself.  Those that take advantage of the demo for months and years even, but never shell out the cash.

Oh, as for the business model, if it didn't work, how does MacSoft, MacPlay, Aspyr, etc stay in business?  Selling to those teenagers with monetary limits at $50 a pop like that.  Now way they survive, is there?

If GR were to open it's doors to more than Mac users, more games, and more features, and then charged in smaller increments for smaller periods of time, he could be quite successful, if he isn't already.? But, that is merely an assumption since I do not know the inner workings of GR or Scott Kevill, and I doubt that many of us do.

Then GR also wouldn't be unique.  I and many others would also leave it.  There is a reason we game on the mac, and not on the PC.  A good amount of the people that paid for premium could afford a Dell along with their Mac, just for gaming.  But we choose not to.  I know that Gemini and I had this talk when he bought a Fragbox.  He hated the PC gaming community.  GR has a small town feel, where you get to know all the players pretty quickly.  The PC side doesn't have that.  I know, I came from the dark side.

BTW, an earlier note, you mentioned Punkbuster.  Punkbuster is by game, not platform, and has nothing to do with PC or Mac.  I have 3 Mac games I know that use PB.

Well, we all think we know what GR could be and what it is, but honestly, I do not think any of us really have a true perspective of Scott Kevill and his business strategies, or lack thereof in some of your views.?

I am sure that statement does apply to you, based on this post.

In defense of the non-premium users of GR, the only thing they miss out on is the hassle free voice communication that is built into GR, and that's only if you have a microphone in the first place.?

No, GR offers them a place to play games, to chat, parents can activate a profanity filter.  You see, your attitude is what pushes for a Premium Only gameranger.  Paying for GR is not just about what added premium features you get, it's about supporting the work that goes into GameRanger.  

I liked being tracked, but GR does not offer this (until it comes out, it's not offered).

Nor is it offered by any other free gaming service.  You could always spend the time and money and effort to make a web site like AAO tracker.

I like being able to communicate vocally to anyone on a server, but GR does not offer this in the games that it supports.?

It does for premium users.  We can use any chat we like.

I like being able to have one user on my computer running for my girlfriend or sister while I play on my own user via fast user switching, but GR does not allow for this.?

Again, it does for premium users.  So this one you are really off base on.

I like being able to play with friends who are not using a Mac computer, but GR has disabled this feature in games where it was allowed before.?

At many a users request.  Many of us don't want PC users in our games, for various reasons.  Others, like me, hate it when a game room says there are 7 open spaces, but they are actually full because dipshits that were banned from GR are IP joining games (which really pisses me off when they join my servers without asking).  It also makes it much harder to keep the TK'ing assholes out of your hosts.

Many people were very vocal in their complaints about IP joiners ruining games.

In my own view, I feel that GR offers something at first, but right after it offers a new feature, an old one is taken away, and maybe not from everyone, but perhaps just from the people who are not able to support with $50 USD.

And, like you said, beggers can't be choosers.  If they can't support GR, or choose not to, than they have no right to bitch.  It's like bitching that the demo version of Ghost Recon doesn't have a map you want to play.  The free demo version isn't supposed to make you real happy, it's supposed to wet your whistle for the real thing.  So I don't blame Evill at all for making the gap larger between free and premium, but he has so much in the free version it would be like Aspyr giving away the full Raven Shield, but selling a map pack for $50.  He has to scale the free GR down, as well as building up the premium features.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
-SW- bazz
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2004, 10:54:20 pm »

Nor is it offered by any other free gaming service.? You could always spend the time and money and effort to make a web site like AAO tracker.

Battle.net does. It also allows voice chat, and most other restrictions only allowed to Premium GR users.

Bnet does only support the WC, Diablo, and StarCraft series, but after 4 years of GR, the games and flames are getting old...Woot for Battle.net!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2004, 11:26:32 pm »

Well there you go... look at battle.net... and th games it supports, and then look at gameranger... anyway battle.net really shouldn't be compaired to GR as they are so completely different!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2004, 12:25:28 am »

Alright, sorry for being so hasty with my reply, but judging by what Bucc's writing (and I do believe he's fairly well in the know on this subject) I was right to be critical, atleast.

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2004, 12:34:35 am »

Heh, B.net is the worst community to compare anything to, it's absolutely the most horrible community out there, seriously.

I remember Kevill made a couple of trackers for Quake etc. way back before GR came out, they all cost money to register and they didn't have a 100th of what GR Premium has to offer.

Scrach

Microsoft sux

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2004, 12:54:19 am »

Heh, B.net is the worst community to compare anything to, it's absolutely the most horrible community out there, seriously.

B.net is not horrible are you crazy.  The people at Bilizzard are pure geinius.  They alow a free service to who ever owns there game.  And who owns there games?  Everyone does.  Mac and pc users alike.  Games like Starcraft and Warcraft have so many players and so many possible players that the pure beauty of the software amazes me.  They have both PC amd MAC versions on the same disk with out having to go online or have to search for a crappy port in some video game store with a tiny selection of mac games.  You really have the wrong impression of B.net.  It is one of the only services taht alows Mac AND PC users to play and interact with each other flawlessly.  Man are you crazy to think that is is the MOST horrible community out there. Angry

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2004, 01:15:43 am »

The ability to play games does not a community make. GR is a community. The B&G is a community. This forum is a community. The Branch Davidians were a community. Battle.Net is a writhing morass of Koreans and assholes none of whom give a rat's fuzzy ass about anyone but themselves.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2004, 01:26:51 am »

Jeeeeezzze Bucc do u have nothing better to do except type long ass posts? Maybe u had a good reason.....oh well why do i bother on these forums anymore?

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2004, 02:24:08 am »

Jeeeeezzze Bucc do u have nothing better to do except type long ass posts? Maybe u had a good reason.....oh well why do i bother on these forums anymore?

Jeeeeezzze Rebel, do you have nothing better to do than spam useless ass posts like that one?  

Since my response was to an equally lengthy post, it makes sense that it was long.  You, on the other hand, are just spiteful.  tsk tsk.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads