*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:28:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Resource Sharing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Resource Sharing  (Read 939 times)
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« on: January 19, 2004, 01:48:30 am »

Just read this on one of the rumor sites:

Xgrid could spawn "Resource Sharing" feature in Mac OS X.4: Although Apple is only in the preliminary stages of development on features for the next major release of Mac OS X, internal company documents recently acquired by Rumors outline a potential implementation of Apple's Xgrid clustering technology for personal use under the name "Resource Sharing."

Resource Sharing would a simplified Xgrid configuration, targeted toward consumer use. Simply enable Resource Sharing on your spare computer(s) and connect them to the network (100Mbps required/Gigabit preferred). Your Master computer will then automatically seek to offload work to these ad-hoc cluster nodes whenever this will result in faster performance for the Master system. It will be months yet before features are finalized for OS X.4, but Resource Sharing might well be one of its greatest selling points...

Sounds cool and I can believe that Apple would do this.  Sounds like I'm going to have to buy a gigabit switch when 10.4 comes out =D

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 02:02:34 am »

Oh boy that really would be awsome. Its daft when u think how much power u loose out on if you have say a desktop and a laptop.. im often switching between the two - but when the heavy stuff comes into play the desktop takes over... But to have another 1Ghz of G4 helping it along would be awsome!

Fingers crossed.....

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 02:09:18 am »

Thats what i've been hopping for ever since i downloaded xgrid, but its to early.

Forget gigabit, i want a fiber channel, And This is all the more reason for me to steal your xserve bucc.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 10:54:41 pm »

Yeah, but the Xserve is a G4 Jeb, not a G5, you wouldn't want it now.  And no, we aren't planning to upgrade it any time soon.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 12:31:42 am »

Yeah, don't bother with bucc's xserve, jeb. The specs on the new one are just too sexy.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads