*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:24:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  HP getting rights to make Ipod for PC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HP getting rights to make Ipod for PC  (Read 2137 times)
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« on: January 11, 2004, 07:58:41 am »

Wow,

It seems that Hewlett Packard has just secured the rights to get the ability to produce ipods to stop Bill gates cornering of the PC market by Apple 2 days ago.  It seems that HP is allowed to use the software and design that Ipod uses on the condition that every new Hewlett Packard come equipped with Apple's Itunes built into the software.  As far as I know there is also a prototype of the new Hewlett Packard Ipod that looks almost the same but is Silver instead of White like the traditional Ipod from Apple.  well, it looks like Mr. Gates will have another hurtle to cross when it comes to cornering the PC market now  Grin  Anyway, what do you guys think about HP making their own Ipod with Apple software built in it?

:MoD:Saberian

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 12:58:06 pm »

http://www.macminute.com/images/db/hpdigitalmusicplayer

Apple will manufacture the device, which will not have the iPod name, but will have the same design and features as 3G iPods, Phil Schiller, senior VP at Apple, said in an interview with CNET News.com. He also said the HP music player will come in "HP Blue." "The way we look at it, HP will be reselling an iPod device," said Schiller. He also noted that the device will display the Apple logo at start-up and will work with all of the accessories made for 3G iPods. The new iPod mini models will not be part of the HP deal.

Microsoft had somthing to say about all this (surprise suprise)
A Microsoft executive said Thursday that the HP and AppleiPod/iTunes agreement would limit choice and harm consumers on the Windows platform. "Windows is about choice, you can mix and match all of this stuff," David Fester, general manager of Microsoft's Windows digital media division, told the New York Times. "We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music services." As the Apple Turns has a nice translation: "Use any service you want as long as it sells Windows Media, buy any player out there as long as it plays Windows Media -- but for heaven's sake, don't buy one of those wretched iPod thingies or we'll be completely boned with our whole plan to monopolize digital media commerce and then we might actually have to start innovating for our paychecks for a change."

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 03:18:56 pm »

IT'S SO UGLY.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 03:45:51 pm »

I dunno i think thats a bit harsh! It is after all exactly the same design - but with a 'pc' color. (which i admit looks shit). I think apples 'white' design is far nicer - and should sell better - hell why would people choose to buy a HP branded ipod over an Apple branded ipod?... unless of course HP are gonna sell the thing for ?60 less or somthing...

Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 04:32:35 pm »

well, as long as these pcPods aren't cutting into ipod sales too badly (which i'm hoping the folks at apple though about, but hell sculley basically sold Microsoft the mac os to use as windows so nothing is certain)  i don't see how this can be a bad thing for apple.  it would expose more pc users to apple technology (along with ease of use) and may persuade them to buy a mac eventually

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
c| Hathcock

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 04:47:02 pm »

Perhaps Jobs is going to actually get some profit out of those iTunes Music Store sales soon and is just looking for a bigger piece of that market by placing the ITMS on all of HP's computers.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 05:07:24 pm »

true, in that sense it seems like a fantastic move - all those PC users who will use the ITMS, and then tell their friends about it... etc... No wonder Microsoft are (excuss my french) Shitting their pants about it. It could hugly boost the coverage of the ITMS - and maybe Jobs reckons in the long term that it is worth it despite the introduction off compertition to the windows compatable ipod...

PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 05:21:36 am »

This seems very hypocritical of both Apple and Steve Jobs because this is tantamount to making clones. For years Apple has resisted allowing clones on to the market because of its "concerns" about quality, etc etc so the move allowing HP to make iPods is puzzling.

The argument of selling more songs via iTunes wouldn't be a strong one because the profit margin per song coming from iTunes isn't enough to warrant Apple opening up its patents to another manufacturer. I don't see what Apple has to gain from an economic point of view - unless it is trying to take a direct swipe at Microsoft's Window's Media Player. It should all pan out, but at this time it seems like a foolish move on Apple's part.

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 06:29:47 am »

It looks like an ugly little child that was rejected from the Apple test facility Shocked

is it 2008 yet?
iblisajinn

Fire Spirit.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 07:19:55 am »

This seems very hypocritical of both Apple and Steve Jobs because this is tantamount to making clones. For years Apple has resisted allowing clones on to the market because of its "concerns" about quality, etc etc so the move allowing HP to make iPods is puzzling.

The argument of selling more songs via iTunes wouldn't be a strong one because the profit margin per song coming from iTunes isn't enough to warrant Apple opening up its patents to another manufacturer. I don't see what Apple has to gain from an economic point of view - unless it is trying to take a direct swipe at Microsoft's Window's Media Player. It should all pan out, but at this time it seems like a foolish move on Apple's part.

Couple points: this isn't a true clone in the sense of the UMAX/Power/Motorola clones of yesteryear - those were non-Apple hardware designs and configurations running an Apple OS.  The new iPod, AFAIK, is the same design as the Apple iPod, running the same OS (so to speak), and is basically a re-painted, re-logo'd Apple product.  Additionally, Apple doesn't build much of its own hardware - most is done by third-party manufacturers, who are building Dells, Toshibas, and everyone else's too.

As for the iTMS and whatnot, I don't think this is about selling more songs for the money, but for the technology - every song sold is one more AAC-encoded digital file and one less WMA-encoded file in the public use.  This isn't about money, it's about technology adoption and getting your codec out to more people faster.  The iTMS has never truly been about making money on song downloads.
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 10:04:10 am »

Has anyone else questioned the logic of why you would pay $250 for a 4 gig iPod when you get get a 15 gig iPod for only $50 more? If you are going to blow a wad on a digital music player, might as well spend the extra $50 and get one that not only is 3.75 times larger but looks a hell of a lot better. The mini Pods would have been a great idea if they cost $100 less and didn't look like absolute shit. They are the most fru fru girly looking thing I have ever seen.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 12:50:34 pm »

Perhaps the inclusion of itunes on so many pcs, in jobs eyes, is a possitive that far outweighs possible negatives.

c| Hathcock

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 06:25:23 pm »

Tasty, I got one because I only have 3.4 gigs worht of music and I would like to smaller size for running and working out.  And the silver aint too bad.
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 09:09:30 pm »

This is why he is doing it Straight from the Apple Site

They have an agreement that most HP computers will come pre-equipped with the iTunes music store. They didn't sell the design for the mini though. I think they want people to see how iTunes is so easy to use and venture out to see how Apple computers are to use too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 09:13:27 pm by ?Hazard » Logged

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 04:10:37 pm »

.... btw looks like the Silver mini iPod is the most popular currently... at least according to Amazon.

kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 10:43:54 pm »

BFG, duh.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 12:45:04 pm »

yeah i know.. but well i think the golden one looks quite smexy and the blue one isn't to bad either... Although how any self respecting person could buy a pink mini ipod i just do no know.... Its not even close to being a decent colour!

BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 03:36:28 pm »

yeah i know.. but well i think the golden one looks quite smexy and the blue one isn't to bad either... Although how any self respecting person could buy a pink mini ipod i just do no know.... Its not even close to being a decent colour!

My 4 year old daughter would LOVE the pink one!  That's why they make them in pink.....for GIRLS silly.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 03:26:56 am »

Silly me. It will be Fluffy pink mini ipods next.. and you'll be able to to get interchangable covers to fit your outfit! oh god. oh god

Scrach

Microsoft sux

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 01:20:47 am »

I agree with the person who said that mini I pods should be 100$ less and I also agree with the person that said that those hp I pods look like shit.  

I think that apple shouldn't allow this until all those goddamning computer companies that make games software and every thing in between start recognizing macs and make things for them too.

Microsoft sux Cool

From Robin Williams Live on Brodway:
When did you realize that you were creating a monopoly?
Gates:Monopoly is just a game senitor. I am trying to crontrol the whole fucking world.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads