*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:18:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  RvS Reviews
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RvS Reviews  (Read 4132 times)
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2003, 05:21:31 am »

I am on the 800 Mhz iMac 17" flatscreen, 768 RAM, and a Ge-Force MX 2 32 MB VRAM. I have to say, it runs damn well, I tried it all settings on low, but then i tried bumping the settings up. I did that and i still could play the game very well, although a bit buggy (can be fixed) I would rate this game a 9.2 out of 10, definitely worth the purchase.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2003, 05:27:10 am »

A new level of Excellence in hiring, and continuing to employ the worst software engineers, software testers who wear helmets for their own safety, and other various idiots, and rapists.

Playing multiplayer (running a server) is more painful than miscarrying Satan's child. It includes the WORST interface i've ever seen.

Seeing as most people like to change the map every few rounds, you'd expect them to build in a easy to use system for that. At Ubisoft they are committed, and understand this, so they work hard on figuring out new, abstract ways so this isn't clear at all and/or doesn't work.

Now say you want to change your gun in between matches, it should be easy as hell, but not when the options screen pulls an astounding 7fps when you move the cursor around (on a G5!).

The engineers at ubisoft also made the decision that all people run their monitors at 800x600, so they still design their menus and interface accordingly. So if you want to change a gun with your resolution at a unheard of, NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD resolution of 1024x768, you can enjoy trying to navigate through a hard to see menu, that only lists a few items at a time because the size is limited. Also the painful screen resizing pisses me off and shifts all the windows on my screen to the middle of my two monitors (more of a mac port problem).

Now, if the gun store is closed, you might be lucky enough to be alive for our next stage in horrid design and quality. So you figure out how to put another map on the list of active maps, and hit ok in the server setup window. You think you've done it when you see a notice telling you that the admin has made a change and the server will restart. In your mind you think, "yes, i've outsmarted ubisoft's crack team of pedophile software engineers." The screen darkens, people rejoin the game, you see the team select menu pop up. But ALAS, the engineers at ubi where smart enough to known you could have figured out how to change a map, and therefore prevent this from happening, by not changing the map. The same with map rotation, after a round ends on my server, nothing happens and the clients crash out.

Now, if you aren't currently sitting inside a running car in a closed garage, you may be thinking, "wouldn't it be cool if i could run a dedicated server." So you go online and find instructions from UBI on setting it up for linux. OH THEY GOT YOU AGAIN! They announced they would put out the files needed to launch a linux dedicated server via command line, put the instructions online, but never released any file for it.

At this point in my rant i'd like to plead that Microsoft buys ubisoft. Because Microsoft has such a higher level of quality in their products. Despite the fact that Microsoft sucks for quality, ubi products could be infinitely better.

</rant>

Myst, i agree with what you pasted there, your just reading it wrong. The ut2k3 engine will use the other cpu for processing sound (since the os creates the processes its not a problem to have them run on a different cpu). Its not that large of a processor hit to be running sound on the same cpu unless its on high. The main load from the UT2k3 engine isn't multithreaded & split between two processors like your thinking of, hence the reason i said its not optimized for two processors.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2003, 07:36:59 am »

I am on the 800 Mhz iMac 17" flatscreen, 768 RAM, and a Ge-Force MX 2 32 MB VRAM. I have to say, it runs damn well, I tried it all settings on low, but then i tried bumping the settings up. I did that and i still could play the game very well, although a bit buggy (can be fixed) I would rate this game a 9.2 out of 10, definitely worth the purchase.

closest to what I have, just 100 mhz faster, and 128 mb more ram. (Although Loth is 33 mhz faster, he has a 64 mb card, so that changes everything)

Crypt, what kind of framerates were you getting (#?)

Also, good to hear all of the positive reviews other than hosting issues.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2003, 06:16:21 pm »

ok.... in maps like peaks (outdoor snowy map) i get great framerates of anywhere from 15 -30 or 40, on indoor maps with a lot of sound like island resort (GAAAAAYYYY opera music) i get like 10-35 or so. More soon...... I'll also post which exact settings i have.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 07:23:26 pm »

I like the Opera music, it gives it that mafia feel.

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
-SW- Bazz
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2003, 07:41:27 pm »

the opera music is "Ave Maria" you noobs =)

i think some good opera music would fit better for the mafia feeling, such as some Andrea Bocceli now we're talkin'  Cool
0 Kilz:M:

Sancho!

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2003, 12:49:34 pm »

Well maybe if these fuc*in people would get this game in the stores, then people like me could actually play the damn game. How hard is it to get the game to stores before xmas? My wife ordered it for me from amazon, and these tards give me a estimated ship date of Jan 6th. Now I know it's only 2 weeks away but shit, Im gonna need to start making up ground on all you peeps already playin. Even both apple retailers I know of in my state have no idea when it will be on their shelves, or when it's even coming.

*Rants some more to self*

kilz
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2003, 04:53:46 pm »

Order it from www.gamestop.com I ordered it from there Sunday and it's coming today before 3 P.M.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
Absalon - RnT
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2003, 05:12:51 pm »

Does anyone know if it runs on my G4 550mhz dual with Radeon 64 or 128?

coz AA runs like shit on it....
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2003, 05:22:26 pm »

Possibly, Absalon, If you have a good vid card, lots of RAM, it might, because the game is a great port. (much better than AA's port)

kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2003, 07:56:04 am »

This game is very very sexy, well worth the cash.  Us RS3 Xbox players have a head start on most people though thanks to the fact that we know most of the maps.

Anyone else have a problem at the beginning of a round where your teammates freeze in place and are not moving and then 10 seconds later you are either dead or warped to a new location?

kos.viper
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2003, 08:06:21 am »

Another problem I've noticed is that sometimes when you switch from the primary weapon to a secondary weapon, it can get stuck, and you can't switch weapons at all. Anyone else have this?

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2003, 08:20:27 am »

Viper, I've had that happen once, and Spets, it hasn't happened to me, but I've heard many reports of it. They seem to be just straight bugs, so hopefully they'll be fixed soonish.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2003, 10:32:15 am »

Viper, had that happen just once.  It was on Rebel's server earlier, and I was laggy (but with a decent ping) all 10 games I stayed for.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2003, 04:28:21 pm »

Us RS3 Xbox players have a head start on most people though thanks to the fact that we know most of the maps.

Actually, the maps are quite different, so far the only maps that i see the exact same as the xbox version are Warehouse and CSL (Which many people already know).

Also the shooting in the game is much different, you could have dead on accuracy on the run on the xbox version, unlike the mac version.

the oNe
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2003, 04:34:13 pm »

Yeah! I can load up the intro movies to RvS, but after that when I go to menu all the graphics are all blocky =-(.  Oh well, that goes to show RvS can't run on an iMac DV 400mhz G3 w/ 8mb video card.  The intro movies looked nice though =-).
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2003, 09:20:59 pm »

Us RS3 Xbox players have a head start on most people though thanks to the fact that we know most of the maps.

Actually, the maps are quite different, so far the only maps that i see the exact same as the xbox version are Warehouse and CSL (Which many people already know).

Also the shooting in the game is much different, you could have dead on accuracy on the run on the xbox version, unlike the mac version.

You should get playing some more of the maps.  Most of them are the same but with some differences.

kos.viper
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2003, 01:58:15 am »

Well, maps that i can think of that are different......

Garage......when compared to the xbox version, there are some similar rooms, and a few doors taken out and added here and there.
Import/Export.....I see nothing similar b/w the two.
Carnival/parade/w/e it's called.......new xbox map, mostly different on mac.

Maps that are almost if not exactly the same......

CSL........Pretty true to it's origins.
Warehouse.
Presidio.
Peaks......hell, it's all snow anyway, not much different.

And there are several maps for Co-Op on xbox that are now availble for Mac in team games.

These are only a handful of maps that I can think of off the top of my head.

0 Kilz:M:

Sancho!

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2003, 02:31:53 pm »

k, couple issues here...first off, how can I make a armpatch? Or what do i use to convert it to a .tga file?

Secondly, I am running a 1.25Ghz, 512 Ram, ATI 9000, settings on medium..and I get a lot of things turning red. i.e: doors, stairs, barrels, railings, etc...almost anything will turn red then change back to normal. Any ideas why?

And..I want this fp view of my gun to go away, I uncheck the box in the HUD options, but it still remains? wtf...

"K][LZ[]"
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 03:04:24 pm by |?K|*K.i.l.z.o* » Logged
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2003, 03:22:21 pm »

k, couple issues here...first off, how can I make a armpatch? Or what do i use to convert it to a .tga file?

it?s explained good here: http://www.agr-s.com/html_reports/fieldreport0125.htm

And..I want this fp view of my gun to go away, I uncheck the box in the HUD options, but it still remains? wtf...

this depends on the server if "force first person weapon" is turned on.

z][t-Civic
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 03:31:18 pm by z][t-Civic » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads