*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:22:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  RvS Reviews
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RvS Reviews  (Read 4142 times)
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« on: December 19, 2003, 07:41:21 pm »

Well, as many of you may have seen, evill was hosting the first RvS game on GR today. I was wondering if any of you have it yet, and what're your reviews?

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Mainman22
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 10:14:32 pm »

great game i love it, but its no better or worse than halo. A weee bit better than AA!
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 03:51:20 am »

Does anyone know if RvS supports the use of in-game Armpatches like RS did?

The King of Pistoleros
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 04:15:05 am »

Sure does, Nomad. I'll write a short review of it as soon as I get back from dinner.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 05:08:51 am »

Nice!! ok thanks Typhy, but is it the same as RS, using the RSB converter, or is it different?

The King of Pistoleros
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 06:39:41 am »

I still can't believe there is an HBS in RvS,  Angry

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 07:33:34 am »

Armpatches in RvS are much better than in RS. RS used the custom RSB format for its armpatches, whereas RvS uses the longstanding Targa format. Specifically, 64x64 pixel, 72x72 ppi, 16.7 million color, uncompressed Targa files.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 08:54:38 am »

Well, as many of you may have seen, evill was hosting the first RvS game on GR today. I was wondering if any of you have it yet, and what're your reviews?

ahem, I had a host up all yesterday.  But I was also in Evill's game this morning.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 09:44:45 am »

fun game, runs smooth on m y g5. between 30-60 (peaks at over 100).
The game also has great netcode, when playing with 6 people the game was using 1.3K out and in (you can type stat net in your console to see those stats).

There is no dedicated servers for us however, which blows (Ubisoft's slogan should be "we care about nothing"). However i haven't done any work to see if we can just leave a computer in spectate mode and allow others to admin the server.

Acuracy isn't that bad, and there are a few new fun things, such as tear gas, and thermal vision. plus you can actually see animated heartbeats through walls in 3d with the hb sensors now, rather than blips on the map.

very fun game.

the downside is that the interface for multiplayer is slow, and hard to use, as well as hosting a game.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 11:13:10 am »

I'm with Jeb on all those things. Hosting is a real pain in the ass, as is not being able to create dedicated servers.

Runs great on my machine ( 40-60 FPS in multiplayer ).

I think it's got a very bright future in this community. Aspyr did a hell of a job with the port, so it'll run on lower end machines ( 700-800Mhz iMacs, namely ).

An impressive port, and good people to play with make for a fun game.

Just beat single player for the first time on Mac. Not real impressive, but, it's a multiplayer game, so the MP is what counts.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 11:59:25 am »

I left the game running in while I was in spectate mode, seemed to run fine for people.  You just need to try to get into the admin and see if it lets you (you may have to use the console commands).

Yeah, this is running much better than AA does on my machines, and not much worse (while looking much better) frame rates than GhR.  I'm getting 30-50FPS on average instead of 40-60.  Also, I must say that I'd never guess my frame rates were lower, because the game is that much smoother than GhR.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 12:27:47 pm »

I'm with Jeb on all those things. Hosting is a real pain in the ass, as is not being able to create dedicated servers.

Runs great on my machine ( 40-60 FPS in multiplayer ).

I think it's got a very bright future in this community. Aspyr did a hell of a job with the port, so it'll run on lower end machines ( 700-800Mhz iMacs, namely ).

An impressive port, and good people to play with make for a fun game.

Just beat single player for the first time on Mac. Not real impressive, but, it's a multiplayer game, so the MP is what counts.

What is your Mac and Specs?

The King of Pistoleros
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 01:46:59 pm »

I just got and installed the game, so I'll be writing a small review when I have some good experience down, I'll also be listing my specs for my computer so that people with the same or similar specs will know what to expect.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 07:37:04 pm »

1GHZ G4, 1GB RAM, 64MB ATI 9000, Nomad.

spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 09:26:14 pm »

so itll hopefully run well on a new 933mhz g4 iBook?

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2003, 09:32:40 pm »

Anybody know if the game is optimized for Dual-Processor G5's?

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2003, 10:28:41 pm »

it is ghost.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2003, 10:48:43 pm »

not really ghost,
The ut2k3 engine isn't "optimized" for two processors. You wouldn't see any differences between one or two processors, except maybe a little boost (under 1%).

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2003, 11:08:39 pm »

733 G4 (graphite model), 768 MB RAM, 64 MB GeForce 4 MX. After turning everything to low and doing the standard low-end .ini tweaks, I average 20-30 FPS, which is plenty smooth enough to play. However, I experience view jumping while making quick adjustments to my aim. I'm continuing the tweaks to see if I can eliminate that, since being unable to put my crosshairs on an enemy before they shoot me is definitely inhibiting my enjoyment of the game. After an evening of play, RvS looks like a worthy successor to RS, and is an infinitely better game and port than GhR. I sincerely hope that GhR rots in the same pit of filth that its developers spawned from.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2003, 03:10:20 am »

wrong jeb, I'll quote i5works for you:

RvS PC has a thread for streaming audio (music) which we carried over to the Mac. In addition, we added a thread to handle pings during muliplayer games. Also, the OS will create its own worker threads for things, most notably, one for sound sample conversion. How those threads get scheduled and on which processor, that's up to the OS

So ti does give a greater than 1% advantage to a dual processor computer.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads