*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:30:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Which Was A Greater Invention?
Poll
Question: What was the greatest invention of the 20th Century?
Airplane - 9 (28.1%)
Automobile (pre-20th Century, I know) - 2 (6.3%)
Atomic Power (for energy) - 2 (6.3%)
Computer - 12 (37.5%)
Tang - 6 (18.8%)
Television - 1 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which Was A Greater Invention?  (Read 2772 times)
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 12:27:22 am »

Or it would have been, if he'd ever finished building it.

Later, people built functional machines using the exact specs that Charles Babbage drew up. I consider that enough to give him credit for inventing the computer.

Okay, if you wanna get technical, the first computer advances were made in 400 BC by the Bablylonians that created the Abacus.  Or a little later, around 100 BC, you have the Greeks who made the Antikythera Mechanism.  Or how about Wilhelm Schickard who built the 1st Mechanical Calculator in 1623.  When I said computers, I was really referring to Personal Computers that pretty much anyone has access to and can actually do something more than help someone count.  That advance did not come about until well into the 20th Century.

P.S.--What three people voted for TANG???  lol

The difference is that those were forerunners to calculators, whereas Babbage's designs are fundamentally similar to modern computers. Babbage incorporated modern concepts of I/O, memory, and CPU-like device.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2003, 12:56:13 am »

Actually, the Antikythera Mechanism was a device that registered and predicted the motion of stars and planets.  But anyhow, some people would argue that calculators are computers.  But I will concede the point that yes Charles Babbage is in many cases considered the person whose ideas led to modern computers.  Next time I'll put "Personal Computers" instead of just Computers (and Apple, by the way, was the first to invent that!).

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2003, 01:28:11 am »

The car.

vroooom vroooom - tuut tuut

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 01:56:37 am »

Computers are programmable. Calculators are not. Babbage's device was (or would have been) programmable, making it the first proper codified example of the idea of the computer.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2003, 02:47:07 am »

Frankly, this list is missing *the* Invention of the 20th Century.

Tanks!

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2003, 04:10:54 am »

I say the computer because everything on the list can be connected to it.

Airplane- computer tracking and shiznit
Tang- made by a machine operated by a computer( I think???)
Automobile- Some cars do have computers in them
I say the computer because everything on the list can be connected to it.

Airplane- computer tracking and shiznit
Tang- made by a machine operated by a computer( I think???)
Automobile- Some cars do have computers in them
Atomic power- without a doubt in some way maintained or regulated with a computer

fu

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
bronto
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2003, 04:18:04 am »

actually all new cars have computers in them. abs, airbag system, any electrical components, all that garbage.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2003, 05:34:05 am »

Computers are programmable. Calculators are not. Babbage's device was (or would have been) programmable, making it the first proper codified example of the idea of the computer.

Calculators are not programmable???  I believe there are about a hundred engineers on this forum that would differ with that opinion.

I have owned several calculators that I could program to do all kinds of things.....the first thing I ever programmed into one of my calculators was a calculation that would determine ballistics data.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2003, 06:13:59 am »

Heh. I knew that someone would object to that definition of calculators vs. computers. I should have known it'd be you. Programmable calculators are computers, according to that definition. There's no conflict.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2003, 08:31:03 pm »

If it's missing something, it's electronics, what half of the stuff on the list has fundamentally built in.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2003, 10:01:51 pm »

If it's missing something, it's electronics, what half of the stuff on the list has fundamentally built in.

Interesting thought. Instead of computers, perhaps the option should've been the Printed Circuit Board?

As for the most important invention of the 20th century, it's really hard to point at one major invention as being the most important. But I suppose if I had to choose I would go with the printed circuit board. Most of the rest of the inventions rely on this one.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2003, 11:58:58 pm »

Interesting thought. Instead of computers, perhaps the option should've been the Printed Circuit Board?

As for the most important invention of the 20th century, it's really hard to point at one major invention as being the most important. But I suppose if I had to choose I would go with the printed circuit board. Most of the rest of the inventions rely on this one.

It's what I said in my first post as well but no one seemed to react to that  Sad

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
the oNe
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2003, 01:51:32 am »

I'll have to go with the invention of the Computer.
However I would have liked if the Internet was one of the options.

The Internet provides us with:
?News
?Gaming/Recreation
?Music
?Arts & Entertainment
?Matchmaking
?E-Mail
?Online Banking
?Online Shopping/Stores/Businesses
?Photos/Clipart
?Forums
?Storage
?And Websites of course!

But, without the invention of the Computer we wouldn't have the Internet, so here's my vote to "Computer" as the most useful invention of the 20th century.
Forum Whore

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2003, 10:40:44 am »

But without a car the inventors who came up with all that other stuff woulda gotten too tired to walk from their home to the invention lair, and simply given up. And cars dont need electronics, or computers - maybe less safe and less efectivly but cars cant get by without computers.

Thus the car is the number one invention.

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2003, 09:40:19 pm »

Remember though that at the time the airplane was invented (and it didn't need computers either) the automobile was also relatively young and not in great use.  Although the auto made going short distances more convenient, you already had trains that could take people throughout the country.  But airplanes, they opened up the whole world as a rather fast way of crossing oceans and continents.  And they also changed the way we fight wars forever.

the oNe
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2003, 01:43:56 am »

Joka, also remember without the invention of the Computer and Internet, we wouldn't be using this forum!
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2003, 04:49:50 pm »

Computers are built upon electronics, without electronics we wouldn't have calculators, computers or the internet. Modern warfare relies heavily upon electronics as well, which is why in the future we'll have to watch out for EMP bombs as well.

Forum Whore

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2003, 06:09:06 pm »

Joka, also remember without the invention of the Computer and Internet, we wouldn't be using this forum!

I think your a bit off track...the topic is the greatest invention, not saying that these forums arent nice though..

Computers are a luxury not a neccesity. Well...ok today they are, but out of these inventions the car has shaped the whole world the most. They affect how we build citys, how we travel, they save lifes, kill ppl, shorten distances bla bla bla...It's the car!!

kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2003, 06:42:19 pm »

Electronics drive cars, they fly planes, they sail ships, they aim rockets, they convey information, they've helped build our society more or less, think about it.

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2003, 02:11:34 am »

Electronics drive cars, they fly planes, they sail ships, they aim rockets, they convey information, they've helped build our society more or less, think about it.

Yes, but electricity was not an invention of the 20th Century.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads