*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:15:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A non-controversial, completely legitimate alternative to GameRanger  (Read 2680 times)
xoclipse

ownage

« on: December 13, 2003, 12:19:17 am »

As a few of you may know, electronicjo and I have recently developed a server that reflects the protocol of which GameRanger uses. The cause of this recent development was due to the recent "blocks" which have been inflicted against non-premium GameRanger users. Some of the more notable ones are the NetFone block, and prevention of fast-user switching. Our server was simply a response to the oppressive nature of which GameRanger has seem to become.

We have realized that this server, no matter how good the intentions, is not the right step to take. In light of this, we have deicded to develop a completely NON-CONTROVERSIAL server/client framework. This will be in no way associated with GameRanger, completely seperate. Our goals for this new game-matching service are to provide gamers with a free platform of which to communicate and play with other gamers. Currently there is no website, as development is currently in early stages. Some of it's core features we plan to implement are: Chat, Buddies, Game-Matching, Game Server lists, and more.

At this time, we are seeking any skilled programmers that have experience with Objective-C, or Carbon. This service will truly be for gamers, and please, show your support for us and drop us an email, as it only makes us want to progress even farther. Look around in the next week as I will post again on our current progress.

Again, feel free to reply to this post with any suggestions, comments, or questions you might have.

You can contact me at:

Email: xoclipse@cox.net
AIM Screenname - xoclipse

xoclipse

Moderators: Please do not delete this post, as it encourages nothing illegal, it is simply informative, and open to discussion and suggestions.

TRIBE_Horda

www.tribeclan.fr.st

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 12:44:35 am »

good wish u best luck

----[TRIBE]Clan----
http://www.tribeclan.fr.st
TRIBE_Horda

www.tribeclan.fr.st

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 12:48:48 am »

http://www.hulla-balloo.com/openletter/

----[TRIBE]Clan----
http://www.tribeclan.fr.st
xoclipse

ownage

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 12:52:18 am »

Yes, I think we've all seen that link. I don't think I was around when that happened though, or I just don't remember it vividly enough.

kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 05:02:38 am »

GS is a shining example of a GR clone that went to hell, oh I loved that stuff. You guys need to get lives if you intend to make another GR clone just because Evill is some evil dictator in your minds.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 02:00:20 pm »

A bit of competition in the mac gaming community will be good.
In order to get the best results in products and customer service
you need  alternatives .
I can only salute that.  Wink

kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 02:50:14 pm »

Sadly, this market isn't big enough.

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 02:58:52 pm »

But it is growing.  I know that you cannot compare it pc market.
If ppl don't try making alternatives the market has no room to grow.
For the moment the mac community has no need for hundreds of
online game servers, but there is room for one or 2 more.
We only have one option now. (that I know of)

Ross_Koepke
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 08:14:30 pm »

I think they're planning for it to be both windows and mac. This way they don't really have to worry that the mac-only market is "too small". I can't speak for the developers but I would guess they'd make as many games as possible cross-compatible, and have some rooms be PC-only, some mixed, and some Mac-only, whichever you choose. Again just guessing, they would probably include features such as optional Encrypted P2P communication for Private Messages and Private Chatrooms. They would also have the ability to leave messages for offline users, similar to ICQ, more customizable info boxes, highly-moderated rooms and sparsely-moderated rooms, notification that your buddy is typing in private messages, ability to anonymously report abusive users, video conferencing, and allow P2P file transfer (though not like Kazaa/Napster). I would guess that they would allow third-party client applications to connect to their server and would release enough information for users to build their own clients.
Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 08:17:59 pm »

I think they would ban you from that place too, Ross.

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 05:08:50 am »

Dream on buster, dream on.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 06:11:09 am »

If it is completely legitimate and mac only, it will be a good thing.  

While I agree with Kami that the market isn't big enough to sustain two Mac gaming services, if it's real competition it will only help make the survivor a better service.

There are a few "if's" in there though.  They have lots of work cut out for them.  Plenty of challenges.

And if it's Windoze too, it will blow.  Who needs that?  Popular games that are cross platform seem to have built in services to join games.  And does anyone need just another chat client to talk to their windows buddies?  You can use IRC, ICQ, AIM or just a simple KDX to do that.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Noto
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 06:21:09 am »

I'm not sure why everyone compares GameRanger to other stuff.  Have you guys not been out there at all?  Some of you act as if GameRanger is the only product of it's kind in the world.

As to Mr. Xoclipse.  If you are going to spend the time/money/will power/talent on an endeavor such as creating a new "GR" clone, why limit yourself to what GR has done?  GR offers very little in the greater scope of things.  If you are going to create competition with GR, then don't just change the icon and call it something new and slap a sticker on it with a worthless guarantee.  It seems that you are merely trying to improve upon what GR has at this moment.  If that's the case, stop.  You're wasting your time.  Be creative and come out with someone completely different.  If you want competition, you are going to have do something different, not improved.

As simple as something like Battle Net is, it offers a few interesting things, such as: keeps track of your stats (wins/losses), let's you select the region you are closer to, etc.

With the amount of resources you are going to put into a project such as yours, I would hope you are not limiting yourself because of predisposed ideas of how to make GR better.

.::|N| Noto
xoclipse

ownage

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 08:01:52 am »

I know what you are saying Noto, and by no means, do we plan to "limit" our project to what GameRanger is. We have no set, iron-clad goals right now. We are right now mapping out the basic framework, such as user management and chat. We plan on including many things, such as game-matching, buddy management, user -> user file sharing, and probably a lot more integration with OS X. The possibilites are endless, if you think about it. As a programmer, you make the choices at what you want, and the sky is the limit. If it can be done, we should be able to achieve it. If we mantain the community's support, focus, and don't lose track of the big picture, our endeavor will succeed.

xoclipse

KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 02:17:10 pm »

Xo i really suggest that you guys make it as good as it can be and dont release it for a bit. Evill will most likely be planning to make GR pay only in a bit due to the lack of funding. When he does this i think you guys should release ur service so all of us cheap asses can hop over there (which is about 850+ people on GR without premium) and continue to game with macs only. I think its a great idea and if you need any kind of help with development ill be glad to use my webdesigning/photoshopping skills to help you guys out.

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
cookie

still tippin'

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 04:26:40 pm »

i do obj-c... how much are you guys willing to pay though  Grin

The things that will destroy us are politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice.  ---
Gandhi

Back then they didn't want me, now I'm hot, hoes all on me.
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 04:42:55 pm »

You're going to be wasting a lot of time on a fruitless project.

xoclipse

ownage

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 07:23:43 pm »

kami, I never get tired of your optimism, or lack thereof. Cheesy

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2003, 02:24:31 pm »

Kami why do you think its a waste of time? As far as i can see, and from the information xoclipse has made available how can it be anything but the potential for a good thing or better? Good luck to you xoclipse

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
mainmon2626262
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2003, 06:45:33 pm »

As long as theirs no retarted admins, im in! Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads