*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:41:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Nanotechnology is coming
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nanotechnology is coming  (Read 993 times)
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« on: December 07, 2003, 12:21:05 am »

check this out guys http://www.foresight.org/

and also http://www.foresight.org/EOC/

If this became a workable technology, your job would be meaningless lol, think about it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 01:48:46 am by c| Dr. NO » Logged

Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in;  forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.    - Emerson
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 06:15:41 am »

I feel so...missused, that means all the hard work and school has gone to the shits! really makes yah wonder. Huh

is it 2008 yet?
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 07:51:33 am »

if this became workable yes, but this is still a huge if.  we are still several orders away from reliably constructing complex objects on the nanometer scale (nanotubes dont count), much less constructing machines that can do anything useful. i expect to be a very old man before nanoscale technology really hits it big at the earliest
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 07:55:47 am by Brain » Logged

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 09:21:29 pm »

If reproducing "intelligent" nanomachines will ever be feasible (and that's a huge if) it won't be within our lifetimes.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 11:02:19 pm »

I really dont think its that big of an if, i believe that yes, its more a matter of time.  They say 40 years till nanotech will be workable.  The US and Japan just both dumped 4 billion each in to nanotech research.  The race is on!

Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in;  forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.    - Emerson
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 11:12:51 pm »

It's not as easy as it may sound, you can't just pick single atoms and put them in place in a structure. Things would have to be self-assembling, and then it just becomes chemistry, chemistry that would be incredibly complex if not impossible.

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 01:01:52 am »

I dont think it would be impossible.  Some say it is, some say it isn't, but the side that says it is possible is the majority.

Where i would like to see this discussion go is, what would we do with this technology?  Can we govern something this powerfull?  Do we trust one goverment with this power?  The US goverment with the most powerfull weapon thinkable....  

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 06:50:11 am »

Read Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age". It's a cyberpunk novel about the nanotech future.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
the oNe
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 02:47:23 am »

"The Matrix"

machines will be smarter than us in 300 years =-(, but I'll be in a grave, so hell with it, I hope we have nano-guns by then.

they already have some products made with nanotechnology, such as those stainless Dockers pants, and some type of window that scrapes off dirt.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:59:09 am by oNe.SEALs » Logged
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 05:15:11 pm »

Seals, using nano-sized substances is nowhere near the topic, we're talking about nanomachinery.

the oNe
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 04:54:35 am »

Hey Kami, this topic is about nano-technology in general, I'm just informing people that there are already products made from nano technology.
kami
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 07:49:53 pm »

Check the link, it's all about nanomachinery, not about nano-sized molecules.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads