*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:35:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  SPIN
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SPIN  (Read 1442 times)
bronto
« on: December 05, 2003, 02:13:06 am »

http://www.illegal-art.org/video/vcd/Spin_1.mpg

bunch of old sattelite broadcasts of presidents during break time at interviews and what not. pretty cool, its about an hour long.
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 03:39:58 am »

And it's 574 Megs at a frusteratingly slow speed ( 250kb/sec ). Sad, still, I'll give it a look.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
bronto
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 03:54:46 am »

streamed smooth for me.
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 05:30:38 am »

Streamed smooth for me too, quite interesting. It does a good job of showing how the media can be a dangerous tool used to shape public opinion. It makes you wonder how easy it would be for the media to sway public opinion to support a war, or a candidate of their liking.

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 07:14:47 am »

It would've streamed smooth for me too, but I hate watching things in the browser window, so I was DLing it ( DL link to disk ).

It runs at 170.5kb/sec, so anything over that and it would've streamed smooth.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 07:45:07 am »

This is interesting to think about in times of war, not my words, but the web site is listed if you want to see the full context.

"The dangers of a media monopoly

Before reviewing the statistical evidence of the media monopoly, which is undisputed even by the media themselves, we should make certain of its dangers.

The incentives for buying media organizations have long been obvious to Wall Street, which has seen vicious competition break out to capture the remaining media markets. These incentives were articulated in 1986 by Christopher Shaw, a Wall Street expert who has handled over 120 media mergers. Shaw told investors that media buy-outs would give them two things: "profitability" and "influence." (4)

There is nothing inherently wrong with either profitability or influence, of course -- it's just that in a monopoly, they would be abused. Consider the abuse of profits. All the usual market failures would be present in a media monopoly: the captive market, the rise in prices, the drop in quality, and the exploitation of consumers.

But significantly more troubling is the monopolization of influence. If one person controls all information, there are no opposing viewpoints so essential to keeping public and scientific debate honest. We profoundly condemn the monopoly of information by the state, as exemplified by Joseph Goebbels' "Ministry of Propaganda and Enlightenment." But this danger is no less evident if a single business takes over the control of all information in society. Then all information would come from a corporate point of view, silencing the voices of workers, consumers and other citizens who are affected by corporate behavior. Democracy is based on the assumption that opposing viewpoints can be heard. If corporations could somehow eliminate or control populist debate, then we will not have a true democracy.

The potential for abuse by corporate owners is obvious. Just one example was General Electric's earlier buyout of NBC News. General Electric is the 10th largest company in the United States. It is a major Defense contractor and an international player on the world market. It is sensitive to the needs of its clients, who come from all sectors of the economy. It is also a fact that GE has suffered many a scandal throughout its history. During the Great Depression, it cut the life of its light bulbs by one-third to drive up profits. It was convicted of an illegal agreement with a German arms company during World War II. It has been convicted of fraud, fixing bids, conspiracy and tax evasion. (5) In all these cases, control of a major media outlet would have given it undue influence, whether in the market or before Congress or the courts.

Furthermore, GE has played an active role in conservative politics. Shortly after the company acquired NBC, a GE executive announced that NBC should start a political action committee to contribute money to strengthen the company's influence in Washington. Failure to cooperate, the executive said, would raise questions about the employees' "dedication to the company." (6) Later the President of NBC News clarified that its news employees would be exempt from contributing, but this hardly removes the larger conflict of interest.

It should not be surprising that these parent companies, like most big businesses and all Defense contractors, are extremely conservative. They have agendas: they desire lower taxes, fewer lawsuits from the public, fewer environmental restraints, better public relations (a euphemism for less public exposure to scandals), higher profits and more effective lobbying power in Washington. Controlling public opinion would give them all these things. Ironically, it would not be necessary for a single winner to emerge from the take-over wars. Shaw maintains that by the year 2000, all U.S. media will be in the hands of six giant corporations. Most business analysts agree with him. (7) One can safely assume that they will all have the same business and political agenda."

Full context available at http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-liberalmedia.htm

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 03:24:22 pm »

It should not be surprising that these parent companies, like most big businesses and all Defense contractors, are extremely conservative. They have agendas: they desire lower taxes, fewer lawsuits from the public, fewer environmental restraints, better public relations (a euphemism for less public exposure to scandals), higher profits and more effective lobbying power in Washington.

Now just what the hell is wrong with LOWER TAXES???  The fucking government is taxing me to DEATH!  lol
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 03:25:20 pm by |GM|GhostSniper » Logged

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 05:27:33 pm »

If you were in the upper 10% of the economic spectrum you would be getting tax cuts under the Bush administration. I however am a poor student destined for enslavement to  exhorbedant government loans.

~Voltaire

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 05:45:24 pm »

lol.....I know about student loans too Spets....I'm still trying to pay back over $20,000 of them.  And although I did get a tax cut.....I'm greedy and don't think the U.S. Government should get OVER HALF of my paycheck each month!

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 07:59:09 pm »

Maybe if they didnt waste $87 billion rebuilding countries that they destroyed in the first place, they may not take as much.

~Voltaire

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 08:53:37 pm »

Spets, it doesn't matter how much money the government wants to spend, or on what, they ALWAYS are gonna want more of your money.

c| Sssickboy
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 01:00:52 am »

damn good.

maybe better to download to your desktop first, then view.   (570mb)
bronto
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 01:50:31 am »

yeah we're probably gonna run illegal-art.com off the web with branwidth fees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads