*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 01:33:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Is there a God? / Plagiarism in the forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is there a God? / Plagiarism in the forum  (Read 10020 times)
c| Hathcock

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2003, 04:30:04 am »

You can thank the parents for turning kids that young into religious zealots.  Boy am I thankful church was so damn boring that me and my dad stayed home to watch the American religion that is Sunday football.  
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2003, 04:37:50 am »

Thank you Jeb, for once I agree with you!

Oh and a couple of things to various people, since this has gotten way to tangential to carry any one decent thread of debate:

1.  elite - if you're going to plagiarize someone else's self-evident observations about water, and you choose not to cite the source, at least remove their parenthetical documentation.  "(6)"
2.  elite - did you read my post about the insensitivity and arrogance of informing the world that they will be damned for disagreeing with you?  Go back to the first page - if you were going to flaunt your arrogance you could have included an explanation of why.
3.  elite - interesting argument about the choice of belief or not as a matter of probability.  Again, unoriginal - Blaise Pascal was the first to advance that theory.  However, how hypocritical is faith if it's based of the possibility of punishment and not any genuine feeling. . .think for yourself.

Blanket generalization - Lack of independent thought, as evidenced by our guinea pig elite, has been the greatest single threat to civilization from the dawn of time.  This manifests itself in fundamentalist literal religion, and sheer idiocy of the masses.

Also,
Why WOULDN'T an almighty god create wars? Where does it say he hates war? God is Good means he loves you as a person. Doesnt mean he doesnt mind you dying.
Yeah, but then what's the point of existence?  If God's going to kill you off anyway, why bother being just and merciful.  Of course that too is unknown - one has to rely on faith - typical of God again. . .

But why believe in something that in the end offers you no hope.  If you can't believe in a God that doesn't like war, I don't see the point of believeing at all.  (Unless, perhaps, you're in the army and like it, or you just get off on violence)

< insert clever and original signature here >
elite

w00t

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2003, 05:35:03 am »

Loudnotes,

The website that published the article about if their is a god, was written by me, so yes I could have left the sorces in but it certainly does not constitute as plagarism.  Please don't make false accusations unless your sure their right.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 05:36:13 am by elite » Logged

Peter: "Chris were going to need to get a pre-tan before the trip"
Chris: "But Dad, I heard when you get a tan, you get a skin cancer called Melanoma."
Peter: "Ahhh Thats just fancy talk for Sexified"

----Family Guy
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2003, 08:29:06 am »

Spesnatz, that website is a parody buddy. Sorry to break it to you.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2003, 08:33:03 am »

Seemed pretty damn real to me. This is my new hat I ordered from them http://www.cafeshops.com/objectivemin.7035393 its in the mail.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 08:35:30 am by Spetsnaz. » Logged

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2003, 12:09:23 pm »

Spetz, the whole point is that the bible doesn't really say that God doesn't want war. We made that up. It actually says in quite a lot of places that God is quite evil. We humans just want to believe he is that nice so that we don't have to fear him, but MOST christians say you should.
Look at Sodom and Gomorra...

God loves you to the extent he will forgive you for your trespasses against him. No more. He is like your teacher, kinda. He doesn't love you, but he sure enough doesn't hate you... he will give you an F if you dont behave. Simple eh?

Also, anyone remotely philosophical should realize that the world is totally unviewable without any form of belief. Science, according to most actually, also a religion, based on that there is no such thing as definite proof. We choose to believe science.

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2003, 01:02:02 pm »

Mmm, the science-as-religion claim has never been very compelling to me. There are too many fundamental differences in the modes of thought to reasonably claim that science is just another religion. Of prime importance is the fact that religions are based upon faith--"it is written, therefore it is truth," regardless of any other data--while science is based upon the scientific method--"this is the best approximation of the truth until new data provides a better explanation." Science takes a long time to arrive at The Truth, if it ever happens at all. However, scientific truths are constantly under scrutiny, making the body of knowledge collectively referred to as "science" self-correcting and self-improving.

To my mind, seeking truths through hard work and insight is a superior mode of existence than accepting the proclaimed word from someone else. Once a person decides that their quest for Truth is complete, they begin to stagnate.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2003, 01:14:29 pm »

A few more questions, elite - no researching, ok?  These shouldn't be too personal. . .

1.  Are you male or female?

2.  Have you ever been an atheist?

3.  What is your real first name?

jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2003, 01:38:57 pm »

The website that published the article about if their is a god, was written by me, so yes I could have left the sorces in but it certainly does not constitute as plagarism.? Please don't make false accusations unless your sure their right.

Bullshit.  You had the chance to admit you'd forgotten to mention your source.  Instead, you're the worst excuse for a pious religious devotee I've ever seen.  Hypocrite.

You know what, nevermind those 3 questions.  It would be too nice of me to give you that opportunity to gracefully admit that you're lying.  I believe the bible considers that a sin, no?

So I checked your profile - lying there is pretty sinful too, I would think, especially about your gender.  So under the assumption that you're the author of the water document, your being a 17-year old male sounds awfully suspicious.  It also sounds like you're a transsexual, if this is your real information:

As a former atheist, Marilyn Adamson found it difficult to refute the continuously answered prayers and quality of life of a  close friend. In challenging the beliefs of her friend, Marilyn was amazed to learn the wealth of objective evidence pointing to  the existence of God. After about a year of persistent questioning, she responded to God's offer to come into her life and has found  faith in Him to be constantly substantiated and greatly rewarding.

Are you a she or a he?  Are you from Wisconsin?  Do you write "persuasive" religious texts in your free time?  Or did you just happen to use the exact same words and format as this woman?

I find it appalling that after forgetting to delete all the footnotes, you then tried to claim you wrote the article.  That article appears on about a dozen websites, so apparently you're not the only admirer, but at least they cite the source.

Of course, that personal info sounds pretty bullshitty to me too, but the name usage is consistent across the internet.  Asshole.  Am I sure I'm right?  Yes.  Now repent. . .

In the future, do what everyone else does, and say:

"I found an interesting article that seems to support my flawed viewpoint at

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html"

Don't plagiarize.  You won't get far with it.

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2003, 01:53:11 pm »

Ouch. Very Old Testament of you, Loud.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2003, 02:09:23 pm »

Yeah, nice way to smite the plagarism outta him.  Wink

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2003, 04:57:19 pm »

Quit discrimnating against transsexuals loud. Bigot.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
Acri

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2003, 05:31:16 pm »

Nice post, Loth. With that post, you have added yourself to my mental "smart people" list.

Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2003, 07:27:39 pm »

Brain 17:67
"... and the LOUD did look down upon the people, and amongst them he saw the sinner. The unclean one who was trying to lie and cheat and steal from the other people who were trying to keep the faith.  This angered the LOUD greatly, and so he chastised the sinner and threatened to cast him out of the garden of GG lest he repent from his evil ways..."

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:29 pm »

Spetz, the whole point is that the bible doesn't really say that God doesn't want war. We made that up. It actually says in quite a lot of places that God is quite evil. We humans just want to believe he is that nice so that we don't have to fear him, but MOST christians say you should.
Look at Sodom and Gomorra...

God loves you to the extent he will forgive you for your trespasses against him. No more. He is like your teacher, kinda. He doesn't love you, but he sure enough doesn't hate you... he will give you an F if you dont behave. Simple eh?

Also, anyone remotely philosophical should realize that the world is totally unviewable without any form of belief. Science, according to most actually, also a religion, based on that there is no such thing as definite proof. We choose to believe science.

Acri, like I said if God condones the murder of fellow man it further reiterates my point that religion when macroscopically viewed has been a blight for mankind. Personally, I would rather not live in fear of a deity, because a book written by men tells me so. As for God being like a teacher, I have to this day never been in fear of damnation from any teacher. The world being not viewable (unviewable is not a word) without belief may be true, but belief in what can vary greatly. For example I can choose to believe what is real, not what an organization with less than honest intents indoctrinates me to believe. Science can be proven and recreated. Science is not based on mythical historical documents, rather logic, which to me gives it more validity than prescribed faith.

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

Cossack
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

SEMPER TRANSFUEGA

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2003, 12:33:18 am »

Cossack 20:22
And so the Loud cast the sinner out, and it was good.

BREAD LAND AND PEACE!
R.I.P Grifter
Acri

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2003, 01:46:48 am »

Spetz, how do you prove science? I would like to hear that Smiley

Hey guys, this thread is growing so fast...

How about we open a chat room and thrash the heathens and believers in real time? I'd like that Smiley

c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2003, 01:58:24 am »

Acri, you ever try curing a disease with religion?

~Voltaire

jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2003, 02:12:43 am »

"...and they did praise and glorify the LOUD..."

Thanks guys. . .I do my best  Grin

Oh and Spetsnaz - ever heard of the Christian Scientists?  They don't believe in medicine, and consequently don't live as long, although there is some curative power to be had in positive thinking.

Acri

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2003, 02:19:38 am »

Spetz: People do it ALL the time.

Heard of placebo? As far as I know, scientist has no explanation to how that really happens... Let's call that the hand of god, just for kicks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads