*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 03:21:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Poll
Question: Are you a Liberal, Conservative, Or Southerner?
Liberal All the Way! - 10 (40%)
Conservatives Rule! - 6 (24%)
U.S. Southerner and Proud of It! - 8 (32%)
I Don't Know the Difference (read below) - 1 (4%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Difference Between Liberals and Conservatives  (Read 9464 times)
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2003, 06:33:33 pm »

baz, i might be inclined to believe you IF i hadn't actually disarmed somebody before with my bare hands

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2003, 07:07:42 pm »

i can't decide whether this thread is filled with so much bull that its overflowing, or whether every single member of the *DAMN community either packs heat or knows enough martial arts to take down a small country.

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2003, 08:32:01 pm »

I think it's just that we're that kind of a macho community. Can't you smell the testosterone? Or maybe that smell just means that Bucc needs to wash his underwear.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2003, 09:17:06 pm »

baz, i might be inclined to believe you IF i hadn't actually disarmed somebody before with my bare hands
badass  Cheesy
when did this happen?

edit: If it takes a city to necessitate guns, then why does most anti-gun activism take place in large urban areas?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 09:23:56 pm by tasty » Logged

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2003, 10:15:44 pm »

Tasty, because the liberals can't afford to live out in the burbs =P

One thing Tasty, as to your belief that everyone packing heat would cause more problems, I could refer you to a couple university studies on areas where anyone can get a CCW in America, and how violent crime and gun related crimes went down (or are just lower, in the case of areas that didn't have data before).

I can also point out that in Canada, when they banned hand guns, violent crime went up.

The fact of the matter is that when hand guns are banned, it's really only the legal, law abiding citizens that give them up or are hurt.  The criminals actually like it, as they don't have to worry about you packing heat and being able to defend yourself.

And before you spout that tougher laws (read as: much stiffer penalties) can be put in place, to make criminals not use guns, those laws could be there without taking them away from the law abiding citizens.  

But all that is old hat, and there are pages of it already.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
-SW- Baz

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2003, 10:48:44 pm »

Brain,

did he hand you the gun?

or was it a AEG or Spring type?

or was it CO2 or Nitrogen powered gun?

or was it metal/plastic knife

or was the person your karate teacher?

or was it just you after the bar till 2am

or was it (most likely) just you playing wayy too much Splinter Cell?

if you think you can disarm someone with a gun, come over to cleveland and i'll show you how i can prove you wrong.

He who lives by the sword gets shot by those who don't.
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2003, 11:49:03 pm »

baz so much anger! find a therapist

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2003, 03:20:53 am »

baz, it was a metal knife
yes it had an edge
and although the guy was drunk, i still felt that he had enough intension to harm me that it was necessary to disarm and controll him an not simply get the fuck out of the way (joint locks do wonders for persuading people to knock what ever the hell they are doing off)

notably, i'm not stupid enough to try and disarm someone with a gun unless i am 100% sure that they are going to kill me anyway, BUT our hypothetical situation states this dumbass has a knife and not a gun

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
-SW- Baz

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2003, 04:00:06 am »

ahh ok brain

that is very believable; especially seeing it everytime i goto Put-in-Bay on lake erie...island of the drunk...

He who lives by the sword gets shot by those who don't.
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2003, 04:38:27 am »

But all that is old hat, and there are pages of it already.
Sure, I wasn't trying to make an anti-gun argument, just pointing out the biased nature of the example.

BTW I'm from the burbs Tongue

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2003, 05:41:34 am »

No offense, but being from the burbs isn't living there.  Not in my context anyway.

Your parents live in the burbs (you just freeload off them).  =P

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2003, 06:47:49 am »

Your parents live in the burbs (you just freeload off them).  =P
This is true, I am quite the freeloader.

Aren't most city properties more expensive than suburbs though? I guess it depends if you're talking about downtown or the renovated neighborhoods of the gentry, or the poverty-ridden surrounding areas. So anyway, I see myself in a city in two years? although not because I can't afford a house in the burbs.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2003, 07:05:01 am »

Detroit is the home and founder of urban sprawl.  We have the richest zip code in America (more meney then 90210, yes) but that's in Oakland County (and yes, it is also named Beverly Hills for real.  That and Bloomfield Hills)

Nothing in the city costs money.  A house this size which is close to $200k here goes for $25k once I cross into the Detroit border.  And I'm in the one of the nicest burbs that actually borders on Detwa.

But you could be right elsewhere.  Places like Seattle (and especially NYC, but NYC is unique in so many ways.)

tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2003, 08:27:42 am »

Yeah, burbs surrounding large cities are more expensive than burbs around other cities? my friend's dad just moved from a house in Clive (my suburb) to Schaumburg (a Chicago suburb) and although its about the same size, the price difference was 300,000. However, compared to the price of a condo or loft actually in downtown Chicago, it's peanuts? a 1,500 square foot apartment down there costs over a million normally.

Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2003, 10:51:08 am »

A shot in the Knee
Oh, american
The day that you can say
That you could kill a person
Your reflection will look away

Try facing the mirror
After ending one's life
Try comforting the children
Try embracing your wife

Nobody loves a killer
         They will never feel secure
         When you say you can kill a man
         You're not a man
         Anymore

Oh, american
Where is your dream now?
You must have lost in your drawer
With that glock, somehow

At the expense of your dream
You carry that gun
What's the use
when we both know
That either way, you'd run?

Nobody loves a killer
       With each bullet bought
       You comdemn the american dream
       To be no more than thought

You say that action
is the american way
Then take action
and run away
Oh brave american

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don&#039;t make me smack you.

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2003, 11:13:01 am »

first of all, all of this talk about u disarming him with your hands is BULLSHIT

BTW... its alot easier then you think... if you hit there hand on the back side of it you can disarm them easaly.  I had to go through training when i used to work security. and they showed how easy it was. Knies r harder to dissarm from a person then a gun is b/c you can grab a gun barrel w/ out getting a major injury.. but it can be done w/ many type of weapons.

Djing isn&#039;t realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it&#039;s about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ&#039;s:they love it, they live for it.
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2003, 08:11:39 pm »

Yes, we are all aware that Sweden and Austria have absolutely no violent crimes, muggings or murders.  

Just because it doesn't happen often (like it's never happened to anyone I actually know) doesn't mean it couldn't.  Way to take the fun out of a hypothetical.

So you want to defend yourself against every "could-happen" out there? Perhaps you should go hide in your padded cellar with a pair of machine rifles, oh wait, those could explode in your face and kill you, oh no!

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2003, 12:24:11 am »

Kami, sometimes I don't know what in the hell you are talking about.

Where in the world did I say defend myself against every "could-happen" or anything like that?

c| Hathcock

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2003, 02:00:04 am »

Acri, would you rather prefer to be dead because the bad guy was a bit quicker than you?  Or would you prefer to still be able to live with your family?
Aramarth
Forum Whore

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2003, 02:52:50 am »

Ok I am tired of people misusing liberal and conservative. If you take a liberal stance you want to change the status quo, if you take a conservative stance you want to keep the status quo. Lets take abortion as an issue. Republicans are liberal, they want to change the current abortion laws, thus the status quo. Democrats and the left want to keep the status quo and thus they are conservative. So that is the correct use of conservative and liberal. It is to identify yourself with an issue and both far left and far right can be conservative and vise versa. Thats Poly Sci 101.

Actually cossack even you have a common misconception going on.  According to my college text here, the conservative is marked by favoring order over freedoms and freedoms over equality.  The liberal stance is equality over freedom, and freedom over order.  The concept is two dimentional, as you can see.  Use this to best classify yourself.
http://idealog.org/ideaflash.asp?page=run

The wOOt is your friend. Trust the wOOt.

The worst part of being an admin is trying to remember to color your text every time... Wink
I own the former VT supercomputer node 177 wOOt! http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads