*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 05:32:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Next Generation PC, XP no more!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next Generation PC, XP no more!  (Read 1704 times)
MainMaN

moo

« on: November 10, 2003, 03:51:31 am »

The next generation windows machine... So what OS is it gona use? Obviously XP has gone to the shits. Microsoft anouced to save their efferts into making a decent OS. Code named Longhorn. They all claimed it was gona be better than Panther! release date is in 2005.

Heres a info note on whats gona be in it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Not an iron in the flame, Faith is just a flicker, But it's burning just the same. - Paul Alan

SparK - Forums :: http://sparkforum.cjb.net :: Raven Shield Modding Source
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 03:54:30 am »

Yes, they announced it about 6 months ago. Blue text upon blue buttons. . . It'll be another shit OS. There are people out there who say that XP owns Panther, I guess in some ways it's a matter of opinion. Btw, I might add that to take advantage of all the "features", it'll require 128Megs of VRAM.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 07:16:45 am »

What Microsoft says: "Better than Panther." What Microsoft means: "We're going to have two years to reverse-engineer the Panther UI." What you hear: "It's still going to be a bug- and security-hole-ridden piece of crap, now with DRM!"

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 02:59:10 pm »

Lothario, DRM?

The King of Pistoleros
*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 04:26:40 pm »

DRM = Digital Rights Management

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
MainMaN

moo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 04:35:31 pm »

6 months ago? damn...

Not an iron in the flame, Faith is just a flicker, But it's burning just the same. - Paul Alan

SparK - Forums :: http://sparkforum.cjb.net :: Raven Shield Modding Source
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 01:55:50 am »

If its actually stable it would be nice.

I don't care what anyone says about xp being stable, it crashes like a bitch every 30minutes (usually IE hangs when loading a html doc off a server on the network), and Dreamweaver crashes every so often. Not to mention the randomness of windows networking. I really hope they make a good OS so i don't have to redo work because of an application crash.

Oh the DRM will be great fun also, time to switch to linux to maintain that "illegal" mp3 collection, not to mention the fun that required product activation is.

www.eff.org
woot woot

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
KoS Ultimo
Forum Whore

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 04:16:02 pm »

I'm running XP and I never crash.....

Clan +-KoS-+ 6/26/01 - present

*DAMN BL Season 1 & 2 Rouge Spear Champions
mainman2lazy
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 04:28:52 pm »

I crash, the same ratio as i breath.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 10:17:35 pm »

Ultimo, we all know you crash. Stop trolling, either stop spamming PC propaganda or leave.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Cow

The better you are the luckier you get

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 10:33:52 pm »

longhorn will be better then panter, a 2 year old operating system.  apple will prolly have updated OSX to 10.5 by then, apple takes damn good care of their OS they already released 10.3.1.  
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 11:04:46 pm »

Only time XP has crashed for me is when it got hit by the virus attacks. Other than that, other that being an ugly piece of shit and a royal pain in the ass, it runs fine.  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 06:21:09 pm »

Only time XP has crashed for me is when it got hit by the virus attacks. Other than that, other that being an ugly piece of shit and a royal pain in the ass, it runs fine.  

Don't forget the average of 5 critical security bugs a month.  =D

The problem with XP is that is still has windows 3.1 code in it.  Along with 95, 98, NT 4, you get the picture.  They've been building and building on the same code base, without flushing it for a full rewrite.  I've read estimates that up to 40% of the code in XP is never actually used, because it's been replaced by new code, but never deleted out.

Longhorn is supposed to be a completely new OS from the ground up (ala OS X was for Mac).  But I'll believe it when I see it.

Not to mention that it's still 2 years away.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 08:32:56 pm »

Well, OS X was hardly a from-scratch rewrite. Most of OS X's code was adopted from the NeXt OS. It was new from the perspective of the existing OS 1-9 codebase, however, so in that sense, your statement is true. Either way, it was a good thing.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 11:53:32 pm »

I know that they followed the NeXt model, but did they really use any of the NeXt code base?  Not counting BSD of course.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 01:35:37 am »

I don't have the time at the moment to do the research, but from what I remember, getting the source code to the NeXt OS was Apple's primary reason for acquiring NeXt, and OS X wound up being mostly NeXt code behind the scenes.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2003, 01:49:28 am »

The way I remember it, it was more getting the NeXt engineers / code slingers in house.  But I'm not sure either.  

Blufire

teabag or bust

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 02:27:22 am »

I know that they followed the NeXt model, but did they really use any of the NeXt code base?  Not counting BSD of course.  

Cocoa.

Blitz

Pride and dignity mean nothing on the battlefield!

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 06:57:10 am »

Short and sweet... Thank you blu! We love you!

Blitz Cool

PS. I work with a Dell 800 mhz XP machine (the only thing that runs fast on it is... Um.... what... Lets see... IE... Nope... Netscape 7.1 doesnt even work... Ah yes! BOOTING UP!)  It freezes up!

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 01:59:14 am »

Oh my god.. Just read that FAQ about Longhorn... If only i could get my hands on that shit for brains guy who wrote it... Argh they make my blood boil... How could one guy be so annoying?

Just imagine where OSX will be in two years time...  god i would like to smack a windows geek inthe face right now... argh windows and drink make bfg mad!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads