*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:24:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NightVision + Mipmapping Bug in Panther on G5 2.0.  (Read 2269 times)
[OZ] Martin
« on: October 26, 2003, 10:05:05 am »

Hi All

I am having a problem with the nightvision in Panther.

If:

Mipmapping is on at default settings
NV is on

then the screen has "ripples" (kinda hard to describe) almost like a sync problem.
Also wen NV is on the framerate drops 10 or so fps.

This doesn't always happen the first time I play a game but it does in games after that.

This is on a G5 2.0 with radeon 9600.

Solution for the moment is to turn mipmapping off.
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 10:57:21 am »

What are you grafic settings on?

The low, medium, high stuff? Cause mipmapping has been known to have problems with high grafic settings.

Try turning them all on low, and then try with mipmapping. (if thats what you allready have then nm  Wink )
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 10:58:09 am by l ! l Joka » Logged

[OZ] Martin
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 11:05:03 am »

Hi Joka

I know about the problems with high textures and mipmapping, however prior to 10.3 there was never any problems on this machine. now that 10.3 is installed the problems show up.

Having the graphics settings on low kind of defeats the purpose of using a G5 :-)
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 06:24:16 pm »

Martin, the default settings for mipmapping is 0.5. I think. Go into you options.xml file and find that setting and change it to something lower like 0.3 or 0.2 and see if that helps. Remeber to save the file after you change it.

vood's

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:42:05 am »

I don't have any of these problems on my G5 with panther, and i haven't heard any of the other G5 owners complaining of this problem.

It could be that you have a bad monitor, and that the refresh rate is low enough to notice (60hz) when the screen is all green.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
[OZ] Martin
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 07:54:40 am »

Nah It's a 20" ACD

I think I might just reinstall again (over the top of existing) and repair permissions

Seems like a driver problem but only affects that game.

I'll keep you all informed.

PS. Typhy are you suggesting I should not play ghost on my G5. :-(
c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 03:37:37 am »

its not a monitor issue.  i am having the same problem.  night  vision has this nasty "static" pattern, and many of the game textures are bad.  strange vibrating colors and such.  very distracting.  also, some of the text in the game setup room flickers.  bummer.  

i do not use mip-mapping normally, but when i do, it clears up the textures, but not the nv or between game issues.  not a fan of the mip-mapping however; kind of liquifies the textures.  odd as this is the opposite of your experience.  i am not sure what mipmap settings i am using.

i have re-installed GhR, and it did not help.  i also checked to see if the problem comes after any particular update (1 --> 1.4, etc), but it exists from the base installation.

i have emailed aspyr, but have not heard back yet.  i will pass along their feedback if/when i get them.  perhaps if a few others do the same, they will make an effort to fix the problem.

Huh
[OZ] Martin
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 04:47:18 am »

Yay

I thought I was the only one.

just curious Pyro but what system are you running it on?
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 10:01:15 am »

Having the graphics settings on low kind of defeats the purpose of using a G5 :-)

So does playing GHR.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 02:19:12 am »

i have emailed aspyr, but have not heard back yet.  i will pass along their feedback if/when i get them.  perhaps if a few others do the same, they will make an effort to fix the problem.

Huh

Dont bother emailing aspyr.com. I tried when osx first came out and there was the night vision bug floating around. I got an email back from them that apple was the developer of the video card drivers, and basically didnt want to deal with my problem. But we all know version 10.2.1 fixed our NV problem. Im sure with the first update for panther all or most of these problems will be cleared up. So make sure to contact apple support!!

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
SignTist

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 04:06:39 am »

Martin, the default settings for mipmapping is 0.5. I think. Go into you options.xml file and find that setting and change it to something lower like 0.3 or 0.2 and see if that helps. Remeber to save the file after you change it.

vood's

hey voodoo, thanks for that, I always wondered how to get the texture smoother....

BTW, I get alot of "NOISE" when I turn on NV... is it possible to take that out? It was less when I was using an apple display (17" CRT) so is there a way to get it back to the "crystal clear" NV like I had with the other monitor? Later and thanks!

BTs_SignTist
Krush
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 07:05:56 pm »

I to am having these problems, ever since i installed panther.  It makes for bad playing conditions, perhaps ill take a couple screenshots to show you all.
[OZ] Martin
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2003, 03:18:53 am »

Krush and Pyro are you guys both running g5's and or 9600's
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2003, 03:19:39 am »

The higher grafical settings (cant remember whick one exactly) the more noise you will have on NV. try turning some of them low

c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 12:13:30 am »

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Dual G5, 9600.

Problem is intermittant.... very odd.  Some maps worse than others.
SignTist

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 10:59:56 pm »

hey guys, I found the problem.

Upon initial install/launch of GhR, there are many settings that are either set to "high" or "Medium" because systems nowadays have  much better video cards. The reason I had crystal clear NV in my previous setup was because I was using a 32MB card and had all settings to low. Now that I upgraded to a 64MB DDR card, I upped all the graphics to high. Here's the interesting part:

By setting "map texture detail" and "Effects Texture" to low, magically my NV is crystal clear again, even having all other settings on "high" with "mipmap" on. Hope this helps.

BTs_SignTist
a2daj

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 10:01:52 pm »

One expensive fix...  sell the 9600 and buy a retail 9800 Pro.  Wink  Then disable mipmapping and turn on Anisotropic Filtering and Full Scene Anti Aliasing in the ATI Displays 3D Overrides tab.  Makes a world of difference.  It looks significantly better than Ghost Recon's mipmapping.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads