*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:20:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Saying Hi.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Saying Hi.  (Read 2017 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 10:18:39 pm »

BAN BRONTO!

Former sexy gone troll!

I 100% agree with Cobra on those points. Macs are superior in more ways then they are inferior. Gaming isn't as bad as you think. There are absolutely no games out for PC that I would give up my Mac to play.

Technically you get a lot more bang for buck with Macs. You get quality hardware, on top of that a quality OS. Also a 0.0000000000000000000001% chance of ever getting a virus. And, although it sounds stereotypical, PC players (all that I've ever played with [AA, MoH...]) are for the most part assholes.

I personally like having a nicer community here. Think about it, every game you want eventually makes it to Mac (except Half-life because of Sierra). Just because they don?t arrive in a snap of the PC version doesn?t matter. As I said once before if you really like gaming and talking to people you met via gaming, you don?t need a new game every month. Look at how long RS lasted.

Currently with Apples roadmap for their products we will have 3 GHz by early summer 2004. We are currently tied with Intel (Well ahead in most areas) so you can no longer say PCs will be faster.

The only think you can really complain about are those goddamn graphics cards apple gives us!

<Banishes Troll Bronto>

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 09:09:32 am »

Cobra, IGOR is Red Storm's modding tool for Ghost Recon. It ships with the PC version, but was not ported.

Myst, you have to take into account that even if the Mac world gets a game, it will almost always be very much behind the times (over a year in many cases) and it will almost always be a bug-ridden port with horrifying frame rates, and it will often be missing some key feature(s) (specifically modding tools, but there are other examples to be had). If Apple were to provide promotion (on the realities of the Mac game market and the general profitability of ported games) and support (refinements to the OS and specific libraries to make games run more like their PC analogues), there would be a much healthier gaming scene on our side of the fence.

One of the best things that could ever happen is if Apple managed to convince Microsoft to make a Mac-compatible version of DirectPlay, the networking component of DirectX. In nearly every case where a game ships without cross-platform multiplayer support, it's the fault of DirectPlay. A Macintosh version would enable porting houses to produce cross-platform-networkable ports with ease.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 07:47:32 pm »

Cobra, IGOR is Red Storm's modding tool for Ghost Recon. It ships with the PC version, but was not ported.
Gotcha.  Thanks, Loth.
    One of the best things that could ever happen is if Apple managed to convince Microsoft to make a Mac-compatible version of DirectPlay, the networking component of DirectX. In nearly every case where a game ships without cross-platform multiplayer support, it's the fault of DirectPlay. A Macintosh version would enable porting houses to produce cross-platform-networkable ports with ease.
I agree.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it'll be happening anytime soon, if ever.  Was DirectPlay the cause for i5works not being able to maintain cross-platform compatibility in Raven Shield?  Or maybe they didn't give a specific reason, I can't remember.

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Tim Leary:SOG

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 09:12:42 pm »

Interesting viewpoints on all sides.  I would expand my messages/philosophy to say that I *enjoy* having access to both platforms - I regard using both as a collaboration which to me expands the capabilities of what I can do.   If i had to live with one I'd reckon it'd be the Mac platform.
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 05:11:05 am »

Sure you would only spend $300 on a cheap PC. BUT then you would have to spend another 300$ on virus protection. Grin

is it 2008 yet?
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 05:54:00 am »

Sure a 300 buck computer as good as a apple. If you really think that it's not worth getting into...

Well, show me an apple macintosh that can run Igor and I'll eat my words with plenty of salt.
That's what I've got in mind, doing some modding with apps that can not, nor ever will run on a mac.  For $300 I'd say it's a bargain.  If you don't agree that's cool.  

Well, show me a wintel pc that can run OS X and I'll eat my words with plenty of salt. That's what I've got in mind, doing some actual work on an OS that can not, nor ever will run on a pc. For $300 less than a PC with comparable hardware I'd say it's a bargain. If you don't agree that's cool.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
bronto
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 04:09:17 pm »

Sure you would only spend $300 on a cheap PC. BUT then you would have to spend another 300$ on virus protection. Grin
i haven't spent a penny on any virus protection crap. that doesn't mean i warezed it either....i just downloaded a few free programs :-)

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2003, 05:27:14 pm »

Ha ha - nice try dude.  I'm not silly enough to hook this thing up to the internet no way no how.  Seriously.  That cheap PC box of mine is not getting any internet access.  I'm using it for modding, and that's IT!

Cheesy

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2003, 05:30:49 pm »

Well, show me a wintel pc that can run OS X and I'll eat my words with plenty of salt. That's what I've got in mind, doing some actual work on an OS that can not, nor ever will run on a pc. For $300 less than a PC with comparable hardware I'd say it's a bargain. If you don't agree that's cool.

Actually  Darwin *has* been compiled on the dark side.  The reverse has not been done by Mr. Gates.l

Passes the salt...
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2003, 05:47:54 pm »

Actually  Darwin *has* been compiled on the dark side.  The reverse has not been done by Mr. Gates.l

Passes the salt...

That's fine and dandy, but Darwin != OS X. Darwin is basically a mix of the Mach microkernel and FreeBSD/NetBSD userlands. Thus, it's not surprising that it runs on i386 chips. However, you need to add on Aqua, Cocoa, and all that fun shit before you have OS X.

And for the record, Windows NT ran on PPC chips at one point.

Owned and owned, beotch.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2003, 09:22:13 am »

If i wanted to crash i'd be driving drunk, not using XP. Besides my way is safer.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 06:45:35 pm »

Well I also have to throw in my 2 cents - I'm seriously thinking about buying me a PC because I want to MOD. The reason why I started the whole *DAMN site was not only to represent *DAMN it was to share my own R6 mods. Modding hooked me up and was one of the most fun things next to playing R6 online. I could let my creativity flow but since RS I'm resistricted to converting RS and GR mods. THe only thing were I had as much fun as doing my own mods was when we worked on the popular Island Thunder Mac patch but that's it. Shortening filenames and changing the sound format isn't really challenging and doesn't allow any creative input BUT I have so many cool map and mod ideas I would like to realize but no-go on a Mac I , period. This reallly annoys me and so I'm thinking about to buy me a cheap 600 - 1000Dollar PC machine where I can be creative and THINK DIFFERENT!.

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2003, 07:42:56 pm »

Mauti that's exactly how I feel.  One does what they have to do, to do what they dream about.  Mac's can't do it all with regards to modding for Ghost Recon.  If the modding tools were available for the Mac, then a PC would not be necessary.  End of story.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads