*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:16:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  New iBooks, G4, rumors were true
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New iBooks, G4, rumors were true  (Read 1259 times)
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« on: October 22, 2003, 02:55:16 pm »

Yes, there is a new iBook and it is a G4.

Check it out here!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 03:07:29 pm »

That was unexpected.  There weren't any huge rumors about the iBooks upgrading to a G4 processor, only a speed bump up to 1.3GHz and maybe the use of the 750GX.

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 03:39:01 pm »

Yeah, new iBooks were due, to take advantage of airport extreme if nothing else, but the G4's were only rumored on the real not reliable sites.

Maybe Motorolla gave them a deal, since they've lost sales.

USB 2 and Bluetooth are also included.  But too bad they didn't put on firewire 800.

I actually think I'd rather have the new G3's, but that's just me.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 04:15:58 pm »

Not only you Bucc. I would also have prefered new iBooks with the next generation G3 processors with Altivec unit, 200Mhz Frontside bus(G4 PBs have 167), 1MB L3 cache, the 12' with 1.2Ghz and the 14' with 1.3Ghz. Well of course Apple would never sell an iBook that is faster than the equal PB but at least a 1Ghz for the small 12' would have been great.

Wasn't the older top 12' Book 933Mhz fast? Now it is 800 - 14percent less - no matter if G4 or not thats a step back or it was a "political" decision so Apple pushes the 14' models. GRRR.

However the other hardware updates are nice and welcome.

Back to university stuff,

Mauti
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 04:17:00 pm by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure the 12 inch iBooks just made it to 800 on the G3's.  

Yeah, the not going faster then the powerbooks has been holding the iBook back for a while.  

And yes, the 133 bus was a little disappointing, but again, they can't overshadow the PB.

Now it's just a decision between a new G5 this winter, or a new iBook and 9800pro for the G4.  Decisions decisions.

kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 06:12:52 pm »

9800 Pro in your 933G4 might be a little too much for your Tower.  Sounds like a bottleneck to me.  Get one of them fancy G5 PBs when they come out instead, Bucc.

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 07:20:59 pm »

Actually, it would go on the dual 867, but either way it's an AGP 4x, which is what the 9800pro for mac is set for.  

And I wouldn't buy a Powerbook over an iBook unless you paid the difference.  If it's not your only computer, you don't need a balls out laptop.  iBooks are too much bang for the buck.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 08:27:59 pm »

Btw I looked around the web and yep there was a 12' 900Mhz G3 iBook.

However the new iBooks are very nice laptops only such things like reducing the max speed from one generation to the other annoys me.

Bucc I would say it depends on your current PowerMac. If it is a dual 1.25 or 1.467 I would say get the nice and very handy iBook and the 9800. The iBook is great and your PowerMac should be able to play games for the next 2 years. I would buy me one but I have to save money for my 1st revision G5 in january.

Next question is if you need a laptop at all!? Why spend 1000bucks if you don't have to!? Maybe invest it for your daughter or son, just an idea.

All in all to buy the Radeon 9800 can't be wrong because whenever you buy a G5 you can switch the card without problems. If you have time I would wait at least until Apple releases the first revision G5s with medium G5s in a dual configuration.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 12:53:33 am »

Mauti, keep in mind that when Bucc buys stuff for his computer(s), it IS investing in his daughter. See, when Bucc buys gadgets, he's happy. When he's happy, he doesn't beat his kid. Spending money so that he doesn't beat his kid is an investment in the kid. See?

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 12:58:11 am »

Why spend 1000bucks if you don't have to!?

Because it's fun.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 01:07:38 am »

Next question is if you need a laptop at all!? Why spend 1000bucks if you don't have to!? Maybe invest it for your daughter or son, just an idea.

Nah, she's already taken care of.  Haven't you seen?  She already has an old iBook =D

All in all to buy the Radeon 9800 can't be wrong because whenever you buy a G5 you can switch the card without problems.

Actually, you are better off ordering the 9800 pro with the G5.  If it comes right from Apple, it's an AGP 8x, if you get them after the fact, they are AGP 4x.  But you can always turn around and sell it on eBay or something, so I don't think it would be a waste.

Btw I looked around the web and yep there was a 12' 900Mhz G3 iBook.

Cool, I thought they kept the 12" models slower.  Learn something new everyday.  =D

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 09:09:23 am »

Good morning everyone,

Bucc if you read barefeats.com or accelerateyourmac.com
you will see that the Retail version is as fast as the OEM version and in high resolutions even slighty faster. Further it has the OpenGL override functions(FSAA and more for all games) and Veravision contrary to the OEM card and last but not least you have a 9600 as backup card you may can use in your current Mac. I say go for the retail better features same price.

About the iBook the reason why I'm complaining is that the 12'iBook 900Mhz was is many Apps faster than the 867 12'PowerBook so how does Apple think should beat the 800Mhz iBook the old 900iBook!? Well the graphic card is better and you have a higher bus system but all in all they should have added a 933G4 or even a 1Ghz 12'iBook as well.

Comparison Apple Laptops - there you can see only the 900 14'iBook but the 12' had the same bus speed and features. 12' iBook 900 with all stats

Bye,

Mauti
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 09:11:02 am by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

since 13th June 2000
*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 04:50:48 pm »

hmm although the new iBooks got faster, there's still enough room left for the small PowerBooks. The new 12" PB still has many features that make it buyable instead of an iBook. Still, many people buy because the PB just looks better  Wink

I also think that it is pointless to compare Desktops and Laptops. Sure, the newest PB's are quite fast, but even compared to an old G4 machine, they are still a compromise. This is like comparing apples with pears. For example, every time i work with my father's 14" Titanium, OS X feels as responsive as on my G4/500DP, even though the PB has double the RAM, the clock speed _and_ a three generations newer graphics card. Of course, these are only subjective feelings, and in current games the old machine just sucks in comparison, but Laptops will never replace desktops.

About the retail 9800 Radeon: if you order the 9600 with your G5, you can always invest in the retail 9800. Unfortunately, Apple has decided to change the layout of the mainboard ADC connector, so it may be that the 9600 doesn't fit into an old machine.

Elandrion

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads