*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 03:15:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Game's in Mac OS 10.3
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Game's in Mac OS 10.3  (Read 3157 times)
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« on: October 19, 2003, 11:13:22 am »

Let's not go into why or how I got 10.3, let me just say that Apple has my 70 bucks ( Student Discount ).

I'm sure that you're all aware of the features that 10.3 offers, and the changes it makes - if not, go read a review on it. And believe me, it's ownage.

Out of the games I've played in it so far, AA gets by far the bigger performance boost.

Those of us who use G4s, I'm sure are farmiliar with the "SAW Lag". When someone shoots a SAW, your framerates go to hell. Well, no more. People can be all around me shooting SAW's, M4s, M16's, 203's, you name it. My framerates stay steady.

Also, 10.3 offers a 2-5 FPS boost everywhere.

For you GHR players out there; sorry: OS 10.3 offers no improvements to GHR's framerates. The same is true with MOH:AA, SH and UT 2003.

If anything, RTCW is effected negativly by 10.3. Playing Dam, one of the more graphics demanidng maps, at the start, looking at the whole thing ( when you kill the cheese delivery dude ), my framerates dropped down to about 45. Other than that, they held steady at about 75. Either I'm greatly mistaken, or it used to be 75 looking out at the whole dam, and 95 everywhere else. But w/e, 75 FPS isn't bad anyway, hell, nor is 45.

Just thought you might like to know. Wink  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 11:44:19 am »

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=41504&doc2=37175
the biggest improvement is in memory and user interface.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 08:47:51 pm »

Hmm, you sure about UT2k3 not getting a boost in Panther??  I've heard from multiple places that it runs considerably faster in 10.3.

According to macbidouille:
BenchUT2003 under X.2.6 and X.3. He uses a G4 Quicksilver 933 with a Radeon 9000 and 1.5 Gb RAM. Tests were done under 1280*1024 resolution with demo flyby-citadel

Under X.2.6:
 Score 37.00
 Min FPS 11.42
 Average FPS 36.94
 max 121.27

Under X.3:
 Score 55.95
 Min FPS 17.4
 Average FPS 57.026
 max 192.117
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:37:57 pm by Cobra » Logged

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 08:48:28 pm »

Will 10.3 help out an old G3 iMac any?  My non-student discount update is due in next Monday.

From what I've heard, Panther is supposed to make a significant difference on old G3 machines.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 06:59:21 am »

I wouldn't believe those benchmarks from macbidouille.
Because there is no change in hell his 933mhz g4 is faster than my G5 in 10.3 (and the site is french which is a clear give away). But perhaps its because he is running a flyby on low detail.

In ghr i've noticed no speedup, because ghr stayed near/on the maximum allowed fps in that game.

EDIT
i did a flyby on my g5 in ut2k3, and i pulled
Score: 73.3
min: 10.6
average: 93.13
max 283.91
Sadly i wish i saw 93fps average during botmatches
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 07:17:24 am by Jeb » Logged

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 10:42:04 pm »

Are those numbers higher than what you see in Jaguar, Jeb?  Or are they about the same?

By the way, what video card've you got in there (just wonderin')?

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 11:03:26 pm »

jus wondering typhy, how can i qualify for student discount? besides the obvious of course. do you have to be in college?

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 12:52:21 am »

i dunno, i never tested it in jaguar, I have a radion 9600.

And spike, you can get the student discount if your in college. I'm not exactly sure how typhy got a student discount (since there are NO colleges in alaska  Wink ). I also think teachers get discounts, and government employees (even vets). Or if you have purchased a G5 you get a "free copy" (20$ for shipping).

Typhy

Woot

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 12:54:26 am »

jus wondering typhy, how can i qualify for student discount? besides the obvious of course. do you have to be in college?

Quite simple, to tell Apple you go to UAS. Wink ( University of Alaska Southeast ).

In my case, I used my mom's name ( she's a school teacher ).

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 10:20:20 pm »

I realize that they added new features, but could Apple offer a free update, once, please? I mean when systems 7.5, 8, and 9 were out, they offered .X updates for those free of charge even when plenty of new features were added? just a thought.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 11:20:19 pm »

The people in charge of Apple are greedy capitalist Americans....I LOVE THOSE GUYS!  Smiley

Way to be completely irrelevant.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 03:28:12 am »

panther is worth it, especially expose.
Other than that, its stable, fast, and looks even better.
I don't really use expose that much because i have two big monitors on my g5, but i can imagine how useful it would be for someone with a laptop, imac, or a monitor with a 1024x768 resolution. I tried panther on a 400mhz G3 tower and it felt as fast as my G4 466 does in jaguar.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 03:45:13 am »

Tasty, why not just go back to pre release 7, when they were all free?

10.2 is at 10.2.6 now, that's 6 updates for free.  Yes, they've changed the way that they number their releases, but 10.3 is a bigger change in the OS over 10.2 then 8 was over 7.6.

My only complaint is that they are doing the major releases once a year now.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 10:32:50 pm »

hey,

i just had a framerate of 66 in Ghost Recon. it wasnt just there for a second, no, it was there several times.
Since i have Panther (my dad is a beta tester), my framerate improved from about usually 20-30 to about 30-66(!!) now.
i was on the castle map and it wasnt just in one place of that map and i wasnt looking into the heaven for more frames.
here?s one of the screenshots i took:

i?m using an eMac with 700mhz, the built in 32mb geforce2 mx and 768mb of ram. i?m playing with 800x600x16 and with all settings on low.
since 2 weeks i?m using the full version of panther 10.3 and my game-performance really improved! no shit!
Cheesy

[one] Civic.xo

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 11:57:29 pm »

Since i have Panther (my dad is a beta tester), my framerate improved from about usually 20-30 to about 30-66(!!) now.

Wow... that's quite a substantial increase. Good to know because I have just about the same system as you.

2 days left... Shocked

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 01:01:36 am »

Tasty, why not just go back to pre release 7, when they were all free?

Oh yeah those were the days. Apple certainly is not is customer-friendly as they once were, but the again they are also much more financially sound than they were during those times. Unfortunately, the two may be connected.

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 01:11:01 am »

Meh. You get plenty of updates for free within each version of OS X, and the upgrades that Apple does charge for are unequivocally UPgrades, with a host of improvements and refinements. I'm ok with paying Apple for a quality new version; it's a lot more agreeable than paying Microsoft for a new pack of bugs and shoddy design.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 04:10:29 am »

Unfortunately, the two may be connected.

Welcome to economics 101.  Today we will discuss the profitability, or lack thereof, in the classic argument of selling your product, or just giving it away for free.  

Methinks you can remove the "may" in your observation Tasty.  They figured out that the software business unit as a loss leader only works if it's a temporary loss leader, that hardware sales can't pay for that business unit too.

I'm actually amazed that tech support (apple care) is as good as it is with as little as they charge for the out of warranty work.

I'm still waiting for Apple to put out a whole new productivity suite (replace Appleworks), just so I can lose MS Office, and rid myself of everything from Redmond.  If Apple really wants to make some inroads to business, they need that and a Mac application that is compatible and competes with MS Access (Filemaker doesn't do it)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 05:03:24 am »

Quite simple, to tell Apple you go to UAS. Wink ( University of Alaska Southeast ).

In my case, I used my mom's name ( she's a school teacher ).
u dont even have to be in highschool to get it...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 05:04:21 am by Casper » Logged

The marines are so good they took a jeep into some Iraq village trying to get ambushed, they refueled 6 times and did everything they could to get ambushed. and didn't!
Then the same people take in a army jeep and try not to get ambushed and they do. but the marines kill them all and go home.
Bigpat

Resident BMW Whore

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 09:26:31 am »

Panther made quite a difference on my 400mhz TiBook.  Everything seems conisderably faster.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads