*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:46:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Which sport just plain sucks?
Poll
Question: Key work is SUCKS! Not which is best...
Soccer - 9 (25.7%)
Baseball - 8 (22.9%)
Hockey - 4 (11.4%)
Basketball - 10 (28.6%)
Football - 4 (11.4%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which sport just plain sucks?  (Read 3123 times)
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2003, 06:34:41 am »

Soccer by far out of the "popular sports" because it is the sport that requires the absolute least skill (there is a reason why AYSO is so damn popular - because ANY kid can play the game, regardless of age and skill level). Any "sport" in which anyone can play with ease just plain sucks in my opinion.

Something just makes me think you never tried soccer.

As for being easy...If you take the worlds best soccer player and the worlds best rugby player, and make these 2 guys swap roles, wich one do you think would first learn the others role and be equally good at it?

Hell, if you take the worlds best soccer player and the worlds best anything and make them swap roles...

PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2003, 08:09:31 am »

Hardly...I played Soccer for many years when I was younger, that is until I found more challenging and rewarding sports such as Baseball, Basketball, and Football.

As for swapping roles between Rugby and Soccer players, I guarantee you the Rugby player would pick up on Soccer much faster than a Soccer player would pick up on the details of Rugby, seeing that Rugby is by far a more complicated sport which is also more physically demanding than Soccer is.

And what I just said above is just talking about Rugby. I would bet anything that you could switch the world's best baseball player and the world's best soccer player and the baseball player would more easily adapt to playing soccer than a soccer player would adapt to playing baseball. If you ask any knowledgable sportswriter what the most difficult thing to do in sports is, I can virtually guarantee you they would say that hitting a Major League fastball is the most difficult.

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2003, 08:39:50 am »

I guess the best question would be, To watch or PLay?

To watch: Golf (no question)
To PLay: I don't know, its b/w Golf and Cricket

The King of Pistoleros
c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2003, 09:05:18 am »

I would tend to disagree with Psycho, saying that the hardest thing to do is hit a MLB fastball.  From my experience (which, granted, does not include baseball)  Lacrosse is the most challanging sport overall.  Since you not only have to control the ball and keep it protected, and yourself alive (dont forget, the defenders have a 6 foot long pole that is usually made out of titanium, and weighs less than a pound and a half)  but youve also got to keep scanning the field for possibilites, such as passing, or someone who is looking to make a pass to an open man.  And to make it even more fun, usually youre doing all of this while running at top speed, and frequently unable to feel your arms because its freezing cold outside and raining.  

Now, im not saying baseball isnt challanging, i sure wouldnt have a prayre hitting a 98 mph fastball, or to Joka, being even remotely effective at controlling the soccer  ball, but im just saying Lacrosse is the most demanding, in mental and physical terms.  

But, i still said baseball sucks, because its too slow for me, after playing lacrosse =D  (you only stop for injuries, goals, timeouts (only 3 per team) and quarters, which are every 15 minutes)

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2003, 09:08:26 am »

If you ask any knowledgable sportswriter what the most difficult thing to do in sports is, I can virtually guarantee you they would say that hitting a Major League fastball is the most difficult.

Actually, I think it's the Major League Curve Ball =D.

More on point for you Joka, most rugby players did play soccer at one point.  Also, I know it's been a past time of the Red Wings hockey players to warm up with a soccer ball before games.  So I'll take your average pro soccer player and put him on skates in the NHL vs say, Stevie Y or Bret Hull (both old men of hockey).  They'd both pick up on soccer much quicker then say, Lexi Lawless would pick up on skating with a puck while being smacked around.  There is no contest.  Soccer takes skill, endurance and a whole bunch of other skills to play at the world level, but so do many other sports.  Take Rugby, where you need all those same skills and endurance and the ability to sustain and deliver hits.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
MainMaN

moo

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2003, 04:43:27 pm »

Im gona just choose hockey.... since its the last sport i would ever play.

Not an iron in the flame, Faith is just a flicker, But it's burning just the same. - Paul Alan

SparK - Forums :: http://sparkforum.cjb.net :: Raven Shield Modding Source
Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2003, 05:21:24 pm »

I'm not a soccer fan at all, chasing around a ball, and kicking it in the goal isn't that fun to me, but if you like that sport i'm not going to make fun of you. Anyways Football and Baseball own the most how can you be an American and not like football and baseball the two greatest sports. Both are boring at sometimes, but if you truly like the sport you don't change the channel when it is boring.

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2003, 06:29:18 pm »

Lone-Wolf,

All respect to lacrosse, it is a great sport.  But Assassin's point is that the single hardest skill in any sport (not the skill of the overall skill required) is to hit a little round ball with a little round stick when the little ball is traveling faster then any driver over the age of 60.

Sportswriters have made the comment quite a few times that hitting a major league pitch is the hardest single thing in all of sports.

Lacrosse and Hockey are both skilled tough sports.  In hockey, they add the challenge of being on ice skates, but they also don't have as free use of their sticks as they do in lacrosse.  Although they have been making lacrosse less and less tough over the years.  They need to lose the pads.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

*NADS Lo$eMoney

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2003, 08:43:57 pm »

As for rugby Bucc, i'll put money down that the Wallabies will smack your All-Blacks.

LOL!! Sin did you not see the Wallabies get their arses kicked by the ABs not once but twice during the tri nations?

Pushing the limits of acceptable human behaviour....
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2003, 08:47:02 pm »

Way to screw up a bet LoseMoney.  Now I know how you got your name.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2003, 10:05:59 pm »

I'm suprised at he votes against hockey. Hockey is a sport that requires extreme balance while doing all the things listed in soccer and rugby. Not to mention the worry of keeping your head up to see possible hit coming your way (All the while stickhandling a puck on ice).

I'll bet mainman doenst like hockey cause when he plays it hes so pathedicly weak that he would be crippled in a instant. And since there were no anti-hockey comments posted I cant mock the others.

I also think ruby is a great sport. I would put sports in order as:

• Hockey
  • Rugby
  • Footbal
In order with the right being the best.

Soccer doesnt have what it takes to be there. It's almost as bad as basketball....BAH!

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2003, 12:41:33 am »

Yeah, man. Hockey is one of my favorite sports, especially to watch. Violence and ice is a perfect combination. My top three sports:

1. Rugby
2. Hockey
3. Competitive Sleeping

I could only think of 2 cool sports...ah well.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
Jackal.aHa!

"Hump...anyone??" FrEaK Chancellor of Hump

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2003, 01:53:55 am »

I think i will post again just to defend soccer! Angry

Soccer is the finest game in all the land, dont think it takes skill?? Watch the womens world cup and the traps they make on 50 yard balls..its just plain sexy! Cheesy Cheesy

I play soccer and it does take skill...i also tried to start a rugby team at my school and failed. Rugby is a great game, my grandpa used to tell me stories that when he was stationed at a base during WWII..that all the "limies"(spelling?) would take off there shirts and some put on big boots and the would go out and play Rugby in Rain, Snow, Lighting..and he always used to watch them.

Rugby is more physical, Soccer more skill..does both sports suck...NO NO NO!! Grin

Australian Football is hardcore, ever watch that???

Peace out,
Jackal

FrEaK FOR LIFE!

NO HUMP = NO OWN!
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2003, 02:11:31 am »

In reference to the hardest thing in sports I would not say it would be hitting a major league fastball. I think it would be surviving a quarter or a half in the NFL or a European soccer league.

Football: self explanatory, very demanding sport for speed, agility, and strength.
Soccer: a very misunderstood sport in America. High school level soccer is harder to learn and I playing soccer all my life before even had a hard time adjusting. The game is downright dirty. Throw an elbow here, rip someone's shorts there, chopping ankles, and even techniques to get the whole cleat off. I couldn't imagine what the pros do. The hardest thing to do here would be being able to be physically fit and mentally prepared to keep up with a pro soccer player. Impossible for probably almost anyone with no soccer background.

Like I said in my first post, I respect all the sports listed so I didn't vote for any of them.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2003, 02:19:54 am »

Agreed, Haz. Anyone who has played only recreational soccer is missing out on a large part of  the game. You have to know how to angle your clete on a slide tackel so even if you hardly catch any of their leg, it hurts like a bitch. You have to know when you can throw an elbow, and how to use your arms for seperation when going for a header off a corner kick. Such things add another demension to the game.  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2003, 02:25:45 am »

Oh yeah another hard thing to do. Curve a soccer ball from 18 yards out upper left 90.

(upper left 90 is the high left corner)

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2003, 03:14:29 am »

I think the reason that people consider soccer to be the easiest sport is because you can learn your basics pretty quickly and easily. Past that is where it gets good. You need to know how to curve a corner kick in perfectly, or, as Haz said, be able to curve a shot into the upper 90s from a long way off.  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2003, 04:56:30 am »

Typhy is  a noob at soccer i own him at it Tongue
Cause my team three peated the AK State champs Cheesy

[size=-8]cept we loose all the time in regionals in the hardest region with all the damn mexicans from cali(not a raceal(sp) put down)[/size]

The marines are so good they took a jeep into some Iraq village trying to get ambushed, they refueled 6 times and did everything they could to get ambushed. and didn't!
Then the same people take in a army jeep and try not to get ambushed and they do. but the marines kill them all and go home.
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2003, 10:32:59 am »

In reference to the hardest thing in sports I would not say it would be hitting a major league fastball. I think it would be surviving a quarter or a half in the NFL or a European soccer league.

Football: self explanatory, very demanding sport for speed, agility, and strength.
Soccer: a very misunderstood sport in America. High school level soccer is harder to learn and I playing soccer all my life before even had a hard time adjusting. The game is downright dirty. Throw an elbow here, rip someone's shorts there, chopping ankles, and even techniques to get the whole cleat off. I couldn't imagine what the pros do. The hardest thing to do here would be being able to be physically fit and mentally prepared to keep up with a pro soccer player. Impossible for probably almost anyone with no soccer background.

Like I said in my first post, I respect all the sports listed so I didn't vote for any of them.

Oh please. If you think soccer is tough because some players can get dirty, you really need to check out water polo. Have you ever had to fight off a guy trying to rip your nuts off, break any number of bones in your body, and drown you all while you are still supposed to be concentrating on the game? You can get away with virtually everything in water polo if you do it underwater. "Surviving" soccer or football is a joke in comparison. There are very few sports that would rival water polo for toughness: rugby and maybe lacrosse or hockey.

But then again, that's all irrelevant. Try hitting a little round ball with a little round stick while the little round ball is breaking across the plate in an unfathomable arc. By far, that requires the most skill in sports.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2003, 11:01:25 am »

Typhy, you and Hazard can go on and on about the finer points of soccer, but what makes you think there aren't those finer points in Rugby?  

Talk about scrum, maul and rucks (and what to do when in each of them).  Line in's and when to drop kick.  Talk about having to fight your way in the end zone because they bring it out when you kick your points to that same distance from the sides.  

You can bring up all the points about soccer you want, but it's not going to take more skill then rugby.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads