*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:30:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  strange GR behavior
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: strange GR behavior  (Read 1574 times)
twanne
« on: September 24, 2003, 01:21:26 pm »

hello there,

i am experiencing some strange behavior with GR... or, better said, "no" behavior anymore  Sad

yesterday i downloaded a bunch of mods and the GR updater (to 1.4), and enjoyed the mods for an hour or so, and then my GR suddenly quit. no message, no crash log, nothing.

i tried starting up GR again, but the icon just jumps in the dock a couple of times and disappears again.

my first reaction: disable the mods and try again. nothing happened.
then i reinstalled GR from the cd. still no go.

this is very strange, i don't really know if anyone every experienced this?

system: G4 powerbook, macOSX 10.2.8, 1GB memory
i have a dual screen setup, maybe this has sth to do with it? (i tried with one screen, with two screens, no difference - GR just doesn't start up anymore)
my GR has worked fine for a long time, and survived every macOS update and GR patch, so i'm really stumped...

i also tried to locate the prefs file to chuck it out, but i couldn't find it

any help please??

twanne
twanne
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 01:31:33 pm »

okay, here is the ike.log:

***** User's system configuration *****
      CPU: 272
      RAM: 1024 MB
      O/S: 4136
Ghost Recon (RELEASE)  version = 1.4.0.0(0)
Cannot open file for read: j05 - saving pilot ry#97de5.mis
MissionFile: Could not open file \mods\spr\mission\j05 - saving pilot ry#97de5.mis
IkeDataMgr: Could not load mission lobby file \mods\spr\mission\j05 - saving pilot ry#97de5.mis
IkeGameMgr::Initialize() : Could not initialize DATA_MGR: -1

+++++++++++

i suppose this means that there is sth wrong with a file in the "saving pilot ryan" mod, but how do i fix this, because just dragging the mod out of the mods folder doesn't seem to help?
Tim Leary:SOG

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 05:56:14 pm »

I'm not the expert on this but here goes:

just removing the "offending mod" isn't all the battle, if you had activated it and crashed while playing it, it is in your    modsset.txt  file which is in your games Ghost Recon Data folder.   Edit the line with that mod out of that file and relaunch.   Also  your preferences file for the game is called  com.aspyr.ghostrecon.plist  and it typically lives in:

user / Library / Preferences

G/L.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 09:04:55 pm »

Yeah, take the entry for Saving Private Ryan out of the modsset.txt file, or if you prefer, it is safe to simply delete the file. GR will regenerate the file next time you run the game (the new file will have no mods except Desert Siege activated).

To me, the problem looks as though it's being caused by a shortening of a long filename in the mod. There's a way to work around that, but I'm not familiar with the process.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Tim Leary:SOG

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 09:15:41 pm »

To me, the problem looks as though it's being caused by a shortening of a long filename in the mod. There's a way to work around that, but I'm not familiar with the process.

Mauti just wrote a great "advanced modding tutorial about long filenames and how you can shorten them"

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~damnr6/tet/fullnews.cgi?newsid1063648962,80863,

URL isnt showing right but it's linked on the main page a few news items down thepage...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 09:17:00 pm by =F= Tim Leary » Logged
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 09:28:21 pm »

I thought I saw something like that recently. I'm glad to know I wasn't imagining things. : D

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
twanne
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 11:48:52 am »

thanks guys it works! i removed the mod, the prefs AND edited the "modsset.txt" file, and relaunching worked again.

I read about the "shortening filenames" stuff, but seems a bit too much trouble just to try out a mod... maybe i'll try later

thanks again!

twanne
Shua
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 02:13:36 am »

Not sure what's going on. I haven't played GR in about 2 months, at which time it was doing great.. had plenty of mods and rad other maps going. Thing is, now when I click on the application icon it waits a few seconds then quits on its own. It won't let me start up the application... Only thing I can think of is that I've probably updated my version of OS past what it was... Why would that change things.

Needing Help!!

Shua.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 11:27:27 am »

Delete the modsset.txt, as mentioned above. That should help.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads