*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:32:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Scott & Gameranger
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott & Gameranger  (Read 6416 times)
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« on: May 04, 2002, 10:02:05 pm »

I think that people give Scott to much crap about how easily he bans people.  Personaly, I say that sence he set up this free gaming place which is perfect for us it is totaly in his rights to ban people who give him crap.  Think if you were the one who made gameranger, if people gave you to much crap such as telling you to "Fuck yourself" in a non joking manner wouldn't you give them a little ban?

-Typhy
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1029654000 » Logged

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 10:04:40 pm »

Scott has put alot of effort into GR, but he could do testing at better times, not on weekends. (If Kevill reads this, thats constructive criticism Smiley)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Stryker ? [ifB]
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 10:06:02 pm »

Dude, Game Ranger and Scott is my savior man!  The only way I knew how to play online was with Unreal Tournament.  And F4.  So uhh? umm? yea.  GO SCOTT! lol

Stryker ? [ifB]

Tongue
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 10:10:15 pm »

I think that people give Scott to much crap about how easily he bans people. ?Personaly, I say that sence he set up this free gaming place which is perfect for us it is totaly in his rights to ban people who give him crap. ?Think if you were the one who made gameranger, if people gave you to much crap such as telling you to "Fuck yourself" in a non joking manner wouldn't you give them a little ban?

-Typhy

and Posted by: Mysterio ? ? ?Posted on: May 4th, 2002, 6:04pm
Scott has put alot of effort into GR, but he could do testing at better times, not on weekends. (If Kevill reads this, thats constructive criticism ) ?i agree with you both and I Strongliy Agree With he ?could do testing at better times, not on weekends.

i know im sayiing the same thing But its what i think!!!
ohh and

P.S. He built it, It Is "FREE" (FREE) He has the right to ban you or boot you!!!!!

The marines are so good they took a jeep into some Iraq village trying to get ambushed, they refueled 6 times and did everything they could to get ambushed. and didn't!
Then the same people take in a army jeep and try not to get ambushed and they do. but the marines kill them all and go home.
?{RiP}? Vapor

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 10:10:50 pm »

Yeah seriously. People do give him too much crap. But if he is testing today... did he ever pick a bad time. Why don't he do that during the week. Not on a freaking weekend when everyone is looking to game. I agree if he reads it he needs to take it as constructive criticism.

"From this day to the ending of the World,
. . . we in it shall be remembered
. . . we band of brothers."

Henry V
William Shakespeare
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 10:10:55 pm »

I stumbled apon Gr by accident. I was playign risk multi, when i saw a link to GR. and i joined. Ever since ive been a RS only mostly.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Stryker ? [ifB]
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 10:15:23 pm »

I agree with you guys also, but think of this.  Even though people that port the games over to the Mac pays him to use his software, he may also have a job on the weekend.  Plus he also has his own life.  This may have been his only time to work on the program fully.  Unless the server just crashed or some BS cause of that Y2K bs lol  

Stryker ? [ifB]

Tongue
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 10:16:38 pm »

Since he is testing it is going to be Down all weekend or just the rest of the day im lookin For help here

The marines are so good they took a jeep into some Iraq village trying to get ambushed, they refueled 6 times and did everything they could to get ambushed. and didn't!
Then the same people take in a army jeep and try not to get ambushed and they do. but the marines kill them all and go home.
?{RiP}? Vapor

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2002, 10:46:50 pm »

I got a feeling it will be up by morning. Don't forget he supposedly lives in Austrailia 18 hours ahead of us. I remember one other time it was down like this for a whole day and then it was up by morning. So let's hope it is up by morning. Also during our day time while we up trying to play he is probably sleeping. And when we are sleeping is the time it will get fixed. So just give him a little time.

Henry V
William Shakespeare
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2002, 10:52:22 pm »

well it depends what time zone you are in!!! im in the alaskan time zone!!

?{RiP}? Vapor

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2002, 10:57:20 pm »

k u probably like 21 hours behind him then. eastern is 18 hours behind.... i know dat from when mah sis went to austrailia

Henry V
William Shakespeare
Grifter
God bless the freaks

Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2002, 11:30:24 pm »

Typhy, there's a difference between banning someone for telling you to fuck off, and being a jerk.  I actually asked him in the construct about OS X a few weeks back... something like:  "hey Evill, how goes the efforst on OS X?  Any news?".  I was promptly and rudely insulted by him and a bunch of Evill Sock Puppets.  "Stop bugging me about it.. it will be ready when it's ready...", "Don't be a fag, it takes a lot of work to do it and do it right like Evill", "Ban him!"... etc... it went on for a min more before I decided to leave.  Now, yes, he probably gets bugged about it often, but not by me and no need to be rude... I won't even mention his sock puppets that worship him without knowing much of anything.

As for being free and such, yeah, that's all great of him, but he would be even better if he would put a notice up on the web site and such about these things.

And we all remember last year when it was down for a week.

"...to the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 12:18:33 am »

Here is the problem with his OSX GR, he wants it to be to perfect. he has it all programed and ready to go however he can't get X to scan for games, I tell him that all that he has to do is have a "Game folder" And have people put the games in there to play.  However, He wants it to be perfect and thats his choice I guess.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2002, 12:32:36 am »

Well Grifter, I think that Scott is in kinda a hard spot, While he has to run gameranger and be on to make sure that people don't reallly mess things up etc.  He can't really join a clan for any games, he would then be preasured to use his power in wrong ways and if he was favoring a certian group of people, the real reason that he comes on is to deal with things that regard him or people that are being dumb little shits ( Like Zak ). He doesn't really benifit that much from GR, it loses him more money than he makes. The only way that he makes money is having companys pay him to get their games included on gameranger, and he has to but the Domain name, The servers etc.

-Typhy

Grifter
God bless the freaks

Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2002, 12:54:03 am »

Typhy, two things....
One, I have no idea what being or not being in a clan has to do with my comments...  All I said was that he could post more news on the web site.  I mean, his servers aren't down, because the web site is up (the usual sign).  So I look there for news... the last post on OS X was a year ago.. the last post in news was 5 months ago....  I know he's a busy man, but how long does it itake to post a message?  or News?  He wants things to be perfect.... why not start with better communications?  I'm not knocking him about his TOS or banning people... just about being rude to me for asking one question and never posting news on his web site.

Second, try to get all your posts in one.... multi posts are spamming.... Use the edit button to add to it if you've already posted.

"...to the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2002, 10:19:14 am »

everyone rembers when GR was down for about 3 days  in one week.

well

??gT? Casper: Evill:  when gameranger went down 3 times in a week was that when you were moveing?

Evill: It was when one user decided to add 1,179 users to their ignore list.

well if you didnt know thats why it went down

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2002, 10:43:34 am »

Sounds liek somethign i would do when i get bored

John Lennon
Bondo
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2002, 11:58:32 am »

Well, Scott has only made things worse for himself by banning people simply for cussing at him.  That only makes more people frustrated with him.  Sure, he should ban people who do serious things to impact the gaming (causing crashes, hacking GR, etc.) but he should not disallow people the freedom to speech.  He has that power, but by using it he becomes hated and it very well could end GR if he keeps it up as he'll have banned everyone.  Sure, I'm thankful for his incredible contribution to Mac gaming, but I'm not about to think that excuses him to be a prick.
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2002, 12:15:15 pm »

can someone plz explain how adding 1000+ users to the ignore list can crash the whols system
does anyone else see that as a security hole that can be exploited by malicious ppl
one last comment, is the problem fixed now?

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2002, 12:44:39 pm »

its fixed now but mb i read it wrong and he meant he moved when someone did that but ... i dont think so.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads