*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:32:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Life and the world about us
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Life and the world about us  (Read 821 times)
cookie

still tippin'

« on: November 10, 2002, 04:31:41 pm »

something at the heart of it all..

Will you guide me now, for I can't see
A reason for the suffering and this long misery
What if every living soul could be upright and strong?
Well, then I do imagine...
There will be sorrow
Yeah there will be sorrow
And there will be sorrow, no more
When all soldiers lay their weapons down
Or when all kings and all queens relinquish their crowns
Or when the only true messiah rescues us from ourselves
It's easy to imagine...
There will be sorrow
Yeah there will be sorrow
And there will be sorrow, no more

and a simple question...
what is wrong with the world today? and if nothing.. why do we think the world is so terrible? just wondering, it's always nice to see how you all interpret things.

The things that will destroy us are politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice.  ---
Gandhi

Back then they didn't want me, now I'm hot, hoes all on me.
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 03:21:39 am »

There is nothing more wrong with the world today than there has ever been in the history of human civilization. It's just our self interest and self pity that makes us think things are worse now than they have ever been.
     Countries and cilvilizations rise and fall but the human condition remains the same. Somewhere people will be oppressed, somewhere there will be ignorance and happiness, somewhere there will be misery.
     With the rise of the globalization and the consequent shrinking of the world, the stakes rise as it becomes easier for one group to oppress and cause misery for a greater group of people. However, it becomes just as easy for a group acting in defense of human rights to reduce the overall suffering on this planet.
     Also with the recent proliferation of WMD (weapons of mass destruction) it becomes easier for a small group of people to cause world wide turmoil. But to counter that new technology makes it easier to track and terminate those who would do such despicable things.
     So, I guess it all balances out. Things are no better, no worse. But the effects of one group's bad decision is magnified.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
cookie

still tippin'

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 05:17:44 am »

somehow i beg to differ, despite agreeing with most of what you say.

i think that humanity while maintaining it's basic aspects is degenerating, each generation brings new corruption and more turmoil. I could hardly say, for instance, Native American life is comparable in its social problems to the world today.

bahhh im sleepy

The things that will destroy us are politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice.  ---
Gandhi

Back then they didn't want me, now I'm hot, hoes all on me.
*NADS Capt. Anarchy
Forum Whore

fear my suck!

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 11:58:50 pm »

Plenty is wrong, and plenty is right. The liberals wallow in misery, and the conservatives turn their collective head. Nobody really DOES anything about it except a rare few.

*NADS Capt. Anarchy
Leader, Founder, Ownage incarnate
Clan *NADS
Flame on GAY 7.5.5 COMP
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 12:17:47 am »

The only thing wrong with the world is that my 9.2 comp is broken AGAIN and I need it fixed, and that I am not rich and don't get everything I want. Actually, it depends on who you're talking to.
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 01:22:28 am »

i will use some quotes from the movie "Waking Life" to illustrate my views:

"Which is the most universal human characteristic, fear or laziness?"

"There's no story. Its just people, gestures, moments, bits of rapture, fleeting emotions??in short the greatest story ever told"

"Whatever you do, don't be bored. This is the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting"

the composition of these three quotes and the rest of the many quotes from my Waking Life poster don't really have a composite meaning, nor does life. all there is is you, your thoughts, the objects you perceive around you. so after socialogical, political, and anthropological perspectives from cookie and alaric, there is a philosophical one. just goes to prove what flame said: how you see the world and the conflict in it all depends on your point of view. the more i think about it the more overwhelming it becomes?

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
(SiX)Ben
Forum Whore

I love my *NADS

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 04:52:26 am »

I think what everyone here says is uber-bs...

Depression is in the eye of the beholder... So, nothing's wrong, just us. Certain readons to be wrong: Media and government help in the news (Watch Bowling for Columbine, the movie in theaters now, directed by Mike Meyers) bored or  nastolgia. Those are what make me depressed anyway. Oh, and other depressed people such as cookie Smiley.

Ben

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
Benjamin Franklin
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 05:41:23 am »

(Watch Bowling for Columbine, the movie in theaters now, directed by Mike Meyers)

Mike Meyers? omfg he did austin powers, try Michael Moore Ben, director of the critically acclaimed "Roger and Me"

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
*NADS Lo$eMoney

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 05:41:55 am »

Ben, bowling for columbine made me depressed...

Pushing the limits of acceptable human behaviour....
(SiX)Ben
Forum Whore

I love my *NADS

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2002, 05:13:57 am »

lol you sexy sob tasty... I wub you... (sorry, I had about 10 hours of sleep this weekend and was <and still am> dead tired.)

LM, at least the depression was about something. At least it talked about why we're depressed and what we can do about it rather then just be depressed.

Ben

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads