*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:24:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132955 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  DSL or Cable?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DSL or Cable?  (Read 1361 times)
mesa
BL Staff

« on: August 09, 2006, 05:44:44 pm »

Hello everyone, i just had a simple question of..."DSL or Cable?" Im getting ready to move and wanted to get the best internet i can get. I enjoy online gaming as you do and i wanted to get into hosting games more so that means ill need more upload. Just let me know what you guys think. And if you have some examples of what you pay and types of bandwidths that would be helpful..thanks Also give me the area you live, Im in Cincinnati Ohio. RoadRunner is really big here but i dunno if i should go with it, or Verzion DSL..etc

thanks,
mesa

RVS FOR LIFE!!
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

the first mexican-american idol

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:26:36 pm »

Mesa, I switched to cable here in Los Angeles because the DSL service I had was unreliable.  Often it would go out for days at a time and the customer service was a joke.

I pay about 50 a month for my service and get 8down and 1up.  It's superior to pretty much any DSL service I could get here in LA.

gsr

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 07:55:59 pm »

Mesa, I've got Oceanic Cable here in Hawaii.  I get 4mb down and 400K up for $46/month which includes TV.  It would be nice to have a greater upload speed for hosting but what can ya do, not a lot of T1 here in the country.  Service has been good with very few outages.  There is an occasional lag spike but it's pretty workable.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:35:24 pm »

If your area has Verizon phone service, which I assume it does if you have Verizon DSL, ask them about FiOS. That's their marketing term for fiber-optic broadband. $50/month gets you 15 Mbps/2 Mbps. FiOS is in limited rollout at present, but if it is available in your area, it seems to be the best thing since sliced bread.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:45:15 pm »

Definitely Cable...DSL is just a little faster/reliable than 56K.  I use Rogers (in Canada eh), they are great and service is much superior than to other crappy ISPs like Sympatico or iDirect.ca.  I pay ~$47/Mo. and speeds are 6MB DL and 800K UL...as Borat puts is....ITS NIIIICE....I LIKE!

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 07:06:50 pm »

I think it depends a lot on the locations of the ISPs and which company. I've had DSL and cable with multiple companies and both types were good and shit depending on various factors. Overall I have had the best experiences with verizon dsl, and the worst with road runner. Road runner gives you horrible installation, shit ball modems, and mine would time out like a mofo. Verizon was the most stable of all of em, but you never get the advertised speeds. Best thing about verizon is that their westell modems are pretty good, and they have a nice wireless one as an option. No cable I've had gives you a decent wireless option, and when you add it on, they consider your set-up out of spec and give you little tech support.

Best option is to go here
http://www.dslreports.com/
then read teh reports for your area. Also, if you get DSL, make sure you know if it's a reseller, actually hardware host or how far the location is.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
mesa
BL Staff

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:16:25 pm »

Thanks Fah, that link helped out a lot.  Though im still unsure on what to go with, ill have to check the location on the ISPs.  Ill let you guys know what i go with and how well it works.  Thanks for all your input guys.

mesa

RVS FOR LIFE!!
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

the first mexican-american idol

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 07:17:48 pm »

stop kissng ass, Mesa.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 07:48:12 pm »

damn did someone nick weaks sombrero?

When you guys are talking about DSL are you refering to ADSL or SDSL.

somthing worth noting is that DSL works on the basis that you download a shit load more data than you upload. SDSL is very expensive but provides you with equal upload/download speeds (yes that means 2mb up and down Smiley but it costs ya)

I don't know what your options in the states are but when it comes to DSL/Cable then id do what fah suggested and check distances to your local enabled exchange and if it isn't close then go for Cable
- every time.

Or if you've got $300 a month free get SDSL and host a pimping server...

from reading your posts it looks like you guys in urban areas have much much better fast net connections that we have in the UK (apart from a few areas). We've been looking at setting up our own FTP / SMTP and QT Streaming server at work but i just can't find enough bandwidth at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:38:37 am by BFG » Logged

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
mesa
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:42:13 pm »

ok, i went with some DSL 3mb/768k.  I hope to have some small host up for my pals.  Thanks for your help guys.

RVS FOR LIFE!!
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 05:22:21 pm »

*yawn* I'm fine with my 28/8 cable ISP here in Sweden Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads